Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Memory Test

Memory Test
PMDaly
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2005, 09:07 PM

What the best program or at least what is everyone using to test new memory. I recently bought a gig stick and i'd like to test it. Thanks in advance.

wedgewood
Apr 5, 2005, 09:42 PM

try this program, "Rember"
It is a reliable program for testing memory in Mac.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24508
1.33 GHz 12" powerbook, 1.25GB

cakeandpie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2005, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by wedgewood:
try this program, "Rember"
It is a reliable program for testing memory in Mac.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24508
Thanks for the link to the program. I'm running it now, and I've got one question though. I selected test all memory, and quit all applications and finder, and hit start. Now, even though I have 1.5 gigs of memory installed (all of which is recognized in "About this Mac", in the rember log it says:

Requested Memory: 878MB
Available Memory: 878MB
Allocated Memory: 878MB

Is this normal, or what?

Thanks!

vinster
Senior User
Apr 7, 2005, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by PMDaly:
What the best program or at least what is everyone using to test new memory. I recently bought a gig stick and i'd like to test it. Thanks in advance.
Perhaps try the Apple hardware test utility. It's on the OS X system disc that comes with your computer. Start your computer with the disc in and hold down the option key to run the program.

Good luck,

PMDaly  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2005, 04:18 PM

cakeandpie, Did the same thing you did as well as removed everything from my menubar (right side) and hid the dock. I then ran the program and 980something memory came up. I have 1.25 in "about this mac". On a side not... isn't 256 + 1024 = 1.28 gigs and not 1.25?

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2005, 04:48 PM

I would like to take this opportunity to clear up some common misperceptions about GB and MB.
1GB = 1024MB. This is because these relate to powers of 2, not powers of 10.
Thus, 1024MB = 1GB, and 256MB = exactly .25GB, making for 1.25GB total.

The only situation where this is not true is with hard drives, where advertised capacities are measured with 1GB = 1 billion bytes, rather than the true value of 1,073,741,824, or 2^30.
This results in the actual capacity (as measured by the OS and everything else) being less than expected. For example, a hard drive advertised as 80GB in reality will hold 74.5GB as we all know it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules