Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > BTO in powermac g5... Bluetooth module... can you add this later?

BTO in powermac g5... Bluetooth module... can you add this later?
nycdunz
Senior User
Apr 27, 2005, 12:28 PM

i really want to purchase my computer at the apple store rather than order online... but is there any way i can get the apple blue tooth module installed later? I do not want a USB bluetooth adapter... I want the original apple one... as far as my understanding goes... the only Build to order option that you cannot get later on is the bluetooth one, am i right? because you can always add in an airport express card, and those other stuff...

somebody please help me out... thats the only thing stopping me from buying this at the store is that bluetooth module...

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2005, 10:09 PM

While technically the internal BT module can be added after the fact, in reality its a pain in the arse. First, got to find one (and don't forget the antenna). Second, going to pay more for it. Third, its in a tight spot and installation can be a pain. Fourth, screw up and you could damage your motherboard (and your warranty). Small circuit traces don't take too kindly to scratches from a screwdriver.

The D-Link USB BT dongle, however, uses the exact same hardware/firmware as the Apple OEM model. And Apple's USB firmware updates support them as if they were Apple original hardware (not so with other vendors' adapters like Belkin or Kensington).

For less than the price of buying an Apple OEM module from a grey-market dealer, I bought the D-Link USB module and an Adaptec 4-port USB PCI card. Now I've got fully functional bluetooth and enough USB ports where having one occupied by the BT adapter doesn't matter.

So, my own personal advice is to either BTO your machine from Apple, or bite the bullet and use an external BT adapter. But, if you really want the internal module, it can be done (for a price).

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2005, 12:11 AM

I have thought about getting one of the usb cards with the internal port and putting my d-link adapter inside.

allexsimmons
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2005, 12:15 AM

i bought the parts off small dog, and installed it into my powermac g5, it wasnt to hard, but it cost about 40 dolars more than the usb dongle. I took this route because ineedeed the extra usb port in the back.. also the bluetooth antenna wiring is already installed

patman600
Apr 28, 2005, 12:58 AM

I also bought the parts off small dog, about $115 shipped. Not that hard to install, there is guide I followed with good pics and instructions. http://tersus.no/bluetooth/ One thing to consider about ThisGuy's idea of putting the dlink adapter inside is that the signal will be blocked significantly by the metal case, that's why Apple includes the external antenna. If you buy from smalldog, note that there are two parts you need, the antenna and a card. Also, product availability is spotty. I cannot find the card, but here is the antenna http://www.smalldog.com/product/46206 . When I first checked to get the parts myself, none of it was available, a few months later they had them in.

hldan
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2005, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by nycdunz
i really want to purchase my computer at the apple store rather than order online... but is there any way i can get the apple blue tooth module installed later? I do not want a USB bluetooth adapter... I want the original apple one... as far as my understanding goes... the only Build to order option that you cannot get later on is the bluetooth one, am i right? because you can always add in an airport express card, and those other stuff...

somebody please help me out... thats the only thing stopping me from buying this at the store is that bluetooth module...
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

hldan
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2005, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by nycdunz

Wow, you took the thoughts right outta my head. I want to buy a PowerMac G5 at the Apple Store on the night of the Tiger release because like last year the Apple store may offer 20% discount. If so then I wanna get the computer there but you can only buy the base configuration. I don't know if they will install a bluetooth module at the Apple store. I can call the store tomorrow and find out but if they are offering a great deal during the Tiger release it may be hard to give up and accept the lack of built in bluetooth.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

nycdunz  (op)
Senior User
Apr 28, 2005, 11:45 AM

they offered a 20% discount? wow, i thought it was only 10%

t500
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2005, 05:45 PM

I also installed the factory bluetooth in my G5. Was able to get the kit online (2 screws, BT board,a nd antenna for $100). Works great. I know it cost more than the dongle, but its not a dongle. When Apple pushes Bluetooth updates you will not have to worry about the affect it will have on your dongle. I did not spend all that money on my G5 to plug in an ugle dongle.

Easy to install.

nycdunz  (op)
Senior User
Apr 28, 2005, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by t500
I also installed the factory bluetooth in my G5. Was able to get the kit online (2 screws, BT board,a nd antenna for $100). Works great. I know it cost more than the dongle, but its not a dongle. When Apple pushes Bluetooth updates you will not have to worry about the affect it will have on your dongle. I did not spend all that money on my G5 to plug in an ugle dongle.

Easy to install.

hey was it easy for you to install the kit? can you show me exactly where you ordered this from? Would save me so much trouble if i can purchase a g5 at the apple store and install the official apple bluetooth module later on myself...

I'm hoping its easy right?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2005, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by t500
I did not spend all that money on my G5 to plug in an ugle dongle.
But yet you still have a grey antenna sticking straight out the back of your machine... just like a dongle would.

Hey, but fine. You want to spend $100 to get a $29 bluetooth module (and still have something sticking out of the back of your machine), be my guest.

allexsimmons
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2005, 09:24 PM

but it also takes up a usb port!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2005, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by allexsimmons
but it also takes up a usb port!
I hear you...
But, like I said above, I bought the USB adapter and a 4-port USB 2.0 PCI card for $69 total. I've spent less money than you and I still have more USB ports than you do (and USB cards do not require special drivers or anything). Unless you need all three of your PCI slots for other purposes....
Or plug it in to the back of your keyboard, or monitor if you've got an Apple display (or similar display with a built-in USB hub).

t500
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2005, 10:00 PM

But I still do not have a dongle.

It was fun. There are not to many things add to a G5. I put in a DL drive, added a ton of memory, second hard drive. But what else? I liked the idea of the Apple BT module because Apple will provide updates if needed. I also have a USB hub, so the dongle would have been the cheap way to go and would of worked fine. Whenever I go to sell my G5 I can say it has onboard Bluetooth, not a dongle. Often people do things for fun, not because its easy (or cheap). Don't hate me because I don't use a dongle.

I'm not sure what the specs on the new G5 are, Do they say Bluetooth 2? After I get home I'll post the link where I bought my kit. It�s not hard. The worst part is pulling out the fan, and that was because it was seated so tight. On a scale on 1 - 5 It�s say it was a 2.

nycdunz  (op)
Senior User
Apr 28, 2005, 10:27 PM

okay shouldn't be so hard then... t500 please post the link on where to order the entire apple OEM bluetooth add-on module... thanks a lot!

allexsimmons
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2005, 11:34 PM

I would have been happy if it had worked with the display, but the new displays have low powered usb ports so you cant stick the module back there.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2005, 11:54 PM

i got a dell 2001fpw, my usb bluetooth module fits in the back fine. unnoticable.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Appleman
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by allexsimmons
I would have been happy if it had worked with the display, but the new displays have low powered usb ports so you cant stick the module back there.
My 20" display has two USB 2 ports, don't know if they are low powered, but the Bluetooth stick works in it. What about a built-in Bluetooth module, will they be Bluetooth 2.0? In that case I could wait a bit. On th eother hand, my Sony Ericsson 910i probably doesn't have Bluetooth 2.0, and that is the only BT machine working with the Mac, so why bother.

Cadaver probably is right, why not use a D-link and a USB PCI card which gives you three extra USB ports? Excellent idea indeed!

t500
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2005, 11:31 AM

I picked up the Bluetooth kit up here cgnusa.com

I did not see the complete kit of the website. They have a ton of mini stuff all over now. But here is what I installed in my g5.

Antenna, Bluetooth, External (922-5951)
Bluetooth Card (922-6530)

Sorry I didnt look up the screw kit. The modem uses the same size screws (you'll see) I bet you could pick them up at a hardware store for penny's. There is a bunch of infomation in the Mac modification section. Check there,

I had a 15inch ADC apple monitor and it would power thumb drives and such. The keyboard did not have enough juice. Everything works on my Dell 2005FPW monitor. It has
e 4 USB 2 borts on it..

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2005, 01:16 PM

I also bought my kit from cgnusa. I forgot to original;ly order the screws but then realized that the modem uses the same ones. Since each odule actually has a connector it plugs into on the board I realized I only neede one screw for each ((at the hole closest to the connector on module). I think i only paid around $65 for both parts so not too bad.

BTW, if you remove the support for those extra long PCI cards that is back near where the modules are (2 screws) it makes it far easier to install them. Just take it slow and best to use a screwdriver with a magnetic tip.
- TiBook 867mhz
- Rev. A Dual 2.0ghz PowerMac G5, 3 Gigs Ram, Dual Dell 24" displays.
- Imac G4 20" with 1 Gig of ram

legacyb4
Mac Elite
May 30, 2005, 09:54 AM

I'm assuming you mean:

D-Link DBT 120

Are you using either the BT keyboard or mouse? How about a phone?

Any feedback so far?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Cadaver
For less than the price of buying an Apple OEM module from a grey-market dealer, I bought the D-Link USB module and an Adaptec 4-port USB PCI card. Now I've got fully functional bluetooth and enough USB ports where having one occupied by the BT adapter doesn't matter.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2005, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by legacyb4
I'm assuming you mean:

D-Link DBT 120

Are you using either the BT keyboard or mouse? How about a phone?

Any feedback so far?

Thanks.
Got one on my wife's iMac G5, paired with an Apple wireless keyboard & mouse. No problems. I have one on my G5 which I use for my SonyEricson T637. No problems there, either.

Appleman
Mac Elite
May 30, 2005, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
Got one on my wife's iMac G5, paired with an Apple wireless keyboard & mouse. No problems. I have one on my G5 which I use for my SonyEricson T637. No problems there, either.
Same here: Keyboard, mouse and Sony Ericsson P910i all over D-120 USB plug. Changed mouse for Logitech MX 510 though: Bluetooth eats batteries per day in my mouse, and still hate one button

Yose
Senior User
May 30, 2005, 06:06 PM

If I remember correctly, bluetooth parts for powermacs are listed as "922" and therefore don't have to have a faulty part returned to Apple. So technically they can be ordered under Applecare and installed into another machine.

But that's fraud.
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2005, 11:45 AM

Actually, that is not the case anymore. You can now purchase the module at the Apple Store as an upgrade option for the Power Mac. Technically it's for the newest release but I don't believe there is any restriction to buying it. You just have to ask for the bluetooth upgrade kit for the Power Mac.
- TiBook 867mhz
- Rev. A Dual 2.0ghz PowerMac G5, 3 Gigs Ram, Dual Dell 24" displays.
- Imac G4 20" with 1 Gig of ram

Forum Links
Forum Rules