Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is this e-mail from PayPal a scam?

Is this e-mail from PayPal a scam?
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2005, 12:56 PM

I have received this mail:

Subject: PayPal Flagged Account
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 19:13:50 +0500

Security Center

128-bit encryption

At PayPal, we want to increase your security and comfort level with every transaction. From our Buyer and Seller Protection Policies to our Verification and Reputation systems, we'll help to keep you safe.

We recently noticed an attempt to log in to your PayPal account from a foreign IP address and we have reason to belive that your account was used by a third party without your authorization.

If you recently accessed your account while traveling, the unusual log in attempts may have been initiated by you. Therefore, if you are the rightful account holder, click on the link below to log into your account and follow the instructions.

https://www.paypal.com/...

If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choice but to temporarily suspend your account.

If you received this notice and you are not the authorized account holder, please be aware that it is in violation of PayPal policy to represent oneself as another PayPal user. Such action may also be in violation of local, national, and/or international law. PayPal is committed to assist law enforcement with any inquires related to attempts to misappropriate personal information with the intent to commit fraud or theft. Information will be provided at the request of law enforcement agencies to ensure that impersonators are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Thank you for your patience as we work together to protect your account.

Sincerely,
PayPal Account Review Department
PayPal, an eBay Company

*Please do not respond to this e-mail as your reply will not be received.

Due to the text I have put in bold I have the suspect this is scam. Anybody getting a mail like this one?

saab95
Senior User
Jun 25, 2005, 01:16 PM

Yes it is a scam, and you should ignore it and trash it without clicking the link (which may not work anyhow).

You can also forward the entire email to [email protected]. Make no notes; PayPal/EBay will have your email address and will notify you that this email is indeed an attempt at phishing.
Hello from the State of Independence

By the way, I defend capitalists, not gangsters ;)

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2005, 01:17 PM

Got that a few times last week while on the road. Yep it's a scam. I ignored the 5 that I received and can still use Paypal today.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2005, 02:23 PM

simple rule, DONT EVER CLICK A LINK inside a suspicious e-mail, always go to the site manually.

Zach

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jun 25, 2005, 03:41 PM

extra long links inside an e-mail may start to look legitimate but you have to view the source and see the entrie link. This has been said before. Never use the link, just make sure it's legitimate. Paypal will never ask for personal information in an email! Never, EVER.

Some bells should go off if someone wants that information or wishes to redirect you.

If you have problems with a service, go to THEIR web site and ask them what is up.

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2005, 03:53 PM

Thank you very much !

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jun 25, 2005, 03:59 PM

You are very welcome!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2005, 02:25 AM

PayPal will also address you by your first name, which isn't terrific proof of the message's identity but is better than nothing. These scams, particularly the PayPal ones, are getting quite sophisticated, so verify your headers for extra security.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2005, 02:27 AM

And of course, always copy/paste the address (via the context menu) to make sure...

Chances are good if paypal or ebay had something REALLY important to tell you, along with any bank company.. espsecially when it comes to SUSPENSION they'd send you snail mail or call you... OR both.
Aloha

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2005, 02:31 AM

Not necessarily, Link. There are widespread reports online about summarily disabled PayPal accounts, terminated without sufficient explanation, and I've never heard of PayPal sending anything more than an email. All of which lends additional degrees of plausibility to these falsified messages....

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2005, 02:54 AM

I've been getting that mail for months. You'd think they would just hurry up and suspend me already.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2005, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb
Is this e-mail from PayPal a scam?
Originally Posted by the source to one of these e-mails
<P><FONT face=Verdana size=2>To update your PayPal® records click on the following link: <BR></FONT><A href="http://195.191.11.105/cgi_bin/webscr_cmd=_login-run/" target=_blank><FONT face=Verdana color=#003399 size=2>http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr_cmd=_login-run</FONT></A></P>
What do you think?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

vexborg
Senior User
Jun 26, 2005, 07:17 AM

The IP address 195.191.11.105 belongs to a server in Italy, so I would quite condfident say that this is a scam, I really can't imagine that PayPal woudl use a server in Itlay to host their scripts on...
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2005, 09:50 AM

I think Mail.app should automatically post a warning when an email contains a "link" in which the link text is an internet address different from the one the link actually points to.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2005, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mithras
I think Mail.app should automatically post a warning when an email contains a "link" in which the link text is an internet address different from the one the link actually points to.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2005, 10:38 AM

A warning for all anchored links then

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2005, 11:08 AM

It would be nice if it simply compared domain names in the embedded url and the text. Obviously, however, one can put any text whatsoever in the <a href>....</a> bit and it won't always be a url, but comparing it if it is indeed a url would be nice.
weird wabbit

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2005, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by vexborg
The IP address 195.191.11.105 belongs to a server in Italy, so I would quite condfident say that this is a scam, I really can't imagine that PayPal woudl use a server in Itlay to host their scripts on...
That wasn't an actual question; it was sarcasm.

When a hyperlink is made to look like it points to a different site than it actually points to, chances are 99.9% that it's a scam...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2005, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by saab95
You can also forward the entire email to [email protected]. Make no notes; PayPal/EBay will have your email address and will notify you that this email is indeed an attempt at phishing.
Done that I got a mail from PayPal:

Thank you for contacting PayPal.

We appreciate you bringing this suspicious email to our attention. We
can confirm that the email you received was not sent to you by PayPal.
The website linked to this email is not a registered URL authorized or
used by PayPal. We are currently investigating this incident fully.
Please do not enter any personal or financial information into this
website.

(…)

PayPal and its representatives will NEVER ask you to reveal your
password. There are NO EXCEPTIONS to this policy. If anyone claiming to
work for PayPal asks for your password under any circumstances, by email
or by phone, please refuse and immediately contact us via webform at
https://www.paypal.com/wf/f=sa_pass.

Thanks again.

vexborg
Senior User
Jun 26, 2005, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
That wasn't an actual question; it was sarcasm.

When a hyperlink is made to look like it points to a different site than it actually points to, chances are 99.9% that it's a scam...
Sorry, I didn't get that it was sarcasm (it's quite hard to see sarcasm when it's in writing)...
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

jersey
Senior User
Jun 26, 2005, 08:49 PM

i always like to click on the link and "log in" with a name like A**holesIKnow and for password ThisIsAScam and then fill out the "info" and tell them how worthless they are.

yes....i know I shouldnt waste my time, but it makes me feel like i'm giving something back.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2005, 03:47 AM

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2005, 10:17 AM

I get that to email accounts that I don't even use paypal with.

Forum Links
Forum Rules