Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Printing via Bonjour is a headache!

Printing via Bonjour is a headache!
TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2005, 07:34 PM

I don't know if this is a Tiger bug or not, but I recently got a brand new Airport Extreme setup and I hooked my Canon iP5000 to the Airport Extreme Basestation. My printer shows up in my Bonjor list and I am able to print to it... that's the cool part...

The not so cool part is... it will print half a page and stop dead in it's tracks. I can let it sit there forever and it won't move again. Finally I have to stop the job, shut my printer off... turn it back on... throw out my expensive paper... and try it again... and even then it may or may not work correctly.

I want to know if I'm doing something wrong here or if Apple did something wrong. I used to use Rendevous printing in Panther and it worked fine (But, that was before Airport).

Some help is appreciated.

wnknisely
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2005, 08:37 PM

I'm not sure it's much help - but for what it's worth, I've not had any problems with the same sort of setup. The only difference is that we have a Brother 1440 hooked up to an Airport Extreme rather than the Canon.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2005, 08:42 PM

Spaz: I have had a few similar problems with bonjour printing since upgrading to Tiger. Not always, but about 1 in 10 print jobs (especially ones like photos) will stop half way, never to resume.

On Panther I never, ever had any issues printing using my Canon i905D and Airport Express.

Dog Like Nature
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2005, 08:44 PM

I have the same problem with my multifunction HP 6110. The reason is that some USB printers are more susceptible to interruptions in their data stream than others. When the USB-over-TCP/IP data gets broken up by other traffic, some printers will abort the job. Others are more tolerant of delays in the data stream.

The only thing you can do is try not to generate any other network traffic whilst printing over Bonjour. I've printed many multi-page documents this way with no problems. As soon as I use Safari etc at the same time as printing -- blammo, print job ruined.

Hope this works for you.
╭1.5GHz G4 15" PB, 2.0GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, AEBS, BT kbd
╰2.0GHz T2500 20" iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD

http://www.DogLikeNature.com/

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2005, 11:59 PM

I was using Safari to print out a PDF... that's it. I wasn't downloading anything or even browsing any other web pages. This just sucks man... I should be able to print wirelessly... this is a major flaw.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2005, 12:01 AM

Works perfect here, HP PhotoSmart 7150 with Airport Express and a PowerBook with Tiger (10.4.1).
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

Oneota
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2005, 12:05 AM

I've occasionally had similar problems printing to a Dymo LabelWriter Pro shared over AirPort. Rather annoying, really.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 26, 2005, 12:28 AM

I'm sick of wasting paper... I really want to plug the printer into my PowerBook... but, I got the Airport because I thought it could handle printing. I got Airport while I was on Tiger.. so I don't know how well it worked before Tiger... but, this makes me kinda mad that I have a really nice printer and I paid a lot for my Airport setup and I can't do a simple function that it advertises that it can do.

Does anyone agree with me on that point?

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 26, 2005, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by TheSpaz
I'm sick of wasting paper... I really want to plug the printer into my PowerBook... but, I got the Airport because I thought it could handle printing. I got Airport while I was on Tiger.. so I don't know how well it worked before Tiger... but, this makes me kinda mad that I have a really nice printer and I paid a lot for my Airport setup and I can't do a simple function that it advertises that it can do.

Does anyone agree with me on that point?

agreed .. its just one of those apple things, they occasionally have a good idea that just doesn't work just right and takes a few dot updates before it does. in the meantime looks like ur best bet is to plug directly into ur laptop and be tethered to the printer
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2005, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by mpancha
agreed .. its just one of those apple things, they occasionally have a good idea that just doesn't work just right and takes a few dot updates before it does. in the meantime looks like ur best bet is to plug directly into ur laptop and be tethered to the printer
Don't just blame Apple for this one. Isn't it possible that Canon also may need to update their driver for full Tiger compatibility? (And no, I don't mean the driver included with Tiger).

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2005, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Person Man
Don't just blame Apple for this one. Isn't it possible that Canon also may need to update their driver for full Tiger compatibility? (And no, I don't mean the driver included with Tiger).
Yeah, but I think Spaz may think that's solely Apple's responsibility (see his anti-Adobe thread).

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2005, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
Yeah, but I think Spaz may think that's solely Apple's responsibility (see his anti-Adobe thread).
Yes, I've seen it, but...

jasong
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2005, 12:59 PM

All I can add is that my new Airport Express is working great with both my TiBook running OS X 10.4.1 and my TabletPC running XP Pro SP 2, both printing to a Canon i560. I've printed to it while surfing the web on both machines and streaming music at the same time (and this is over 802.11b). Great signal, great sound, great prints.
-- Jason

Dog Like Nature
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2005, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by jasong
All I can add is that my new Airport Express is working great with both my TiBook running OS X 10.4.1 and my TabletPC running XP Pro SP 2, both printing to a Canon i560. I've printed to it while surfing the web on both machines and streaming music at the same time (and this is over 802.11b). Great signal, great sound, great prints.
Yes indeed -- it seems some printers are more tolerant of being used in this way than others.
╭1.5GHz G4 15" PB, 2.0GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, AEBS, BT kbd
╰2.0GHz T2500 20" iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD

http://www.DogLikeNature.com/

Squozen
Jun 28, 2005, 02:38 AM

Maybe it's a firmware issue with the Airport Express? Ours works fine with our cheesy Epson inkjet.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jun 28, 2005, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
It's a common problem to ignorant people. If something runs on an Apple machine but breaks, it's Apple's fault. If a 3rd-party app crashes or runs like crap, it's Apple's fault/responsability.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2005, 10:01 AM

Our Panther machines at home print just fine, but my PB running Tiger has this problem.

J

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 10:20 AM

My Canon did the same thing over Airport. But after a while it started working, but then Canon Printer Utility doesn't work over Airport so I just plugged it back into my computer.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 28, 2005, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!!
It's a common problem to ignorant people. If something runs on an Apple machine but breaks, it's Apple's fault. If a 3rd-party app crashes or runs like crap, it's Apple's fault/responsability.
Something that worked in Panther (They are Apple's drivers included with the OS) should also work in Tiger... and I think when that doesn't happen, it is Apple's fault.

Something changed in Tiger that made Canon's printer seem like crap. THAT is APPLE's fault... not Canon's fault.

swordfish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2005, 01:34 PM

Neither iMac nor iBook will print to Canon i850 over the Airport Extreme. Tiger can't find any driver for it, even after reloading drivers from Canon's website. Thanks for the info on plugging the USB directly into the computer; it works. Sort of negates the utility of Airport though.
Gail

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2005, 06:54 PM

I have a canon i865 that worked perfectly for over a year with panther but as soon as I installed Tiger on my powerbook the printing of photos in particular became very unreliable. I then installed Tiger on my iMac and bingo the same problem. Plugging in the printer directly seems to solve the problem but I sure hope apple is working on this. It is a frequently discussed problem over on the apple discussions forums and seems definetely to be something caused by Tiger. The fact that everyone doesn't have the problem is probably why it wasn't picked up in testing.
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

jasong
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2005, 07:47 PM

Have any of you having problems tried calling Apple Support? I've been pushing my printer hooked up through Airport Express pretty hard and have had nothing but success.
-- Jason

swordfish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2005, 08:42 PM

Have any of you having problems tried calling Apple Support? I've been pushing my printer hooked up through Airport Express pretty hard and have had nothing but success.
Nope, my Apple Support's run out and I'm too darned cheap to pay for something that I *should* be able to figure out, if not by myself then by reading all the good posts here.

Do you use a Canon printer? I believe that Canon is the one that has the most problems printing though Airport.
Gail

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2006, 11:26 AM

Still does it. I've upgraded to the newest Canon printer driver and I have the latest Airport Firmware update and I still can't get my printer to work correctly 100% of the time. I guess I'll just let it waste ink and paper for no reason. Woohoo!

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Apr 16, 2006, 12:01 PM

Excellent...I'm glad you've found a solution to your problem.

I was about to suggest Tylenol or Advils.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2006, 07:39 PM

I didn't find a solution... why do you have to be an ass. Why would a printer work so good in Panther and then suck in Tiger... and somehow that's not Apple's fault? Also, Canon updated their driver and it still sucks... so answer that. Anyone else have any luck with Canon wireless printing?

bbales
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2006, 09:12 AM

I have an Airport Extreme setup that does not exhibit these problems at all. Upon rare occasions (just happened yesterday) the network connection seems to go haywire and I simply unplug the base station for a few minutes, plug it back in and all is well. I have my Epson hooked into the AEBS and a Canon printer hooked directly to my desktop, so I'm not printing wirelessly to the Canon. However, at one point the Epson was out of commission, so I did have the Canon plugged into the AEBS. I am nearly positive this was post-Tiger, and everything worked fine.

I wish I could be more help -- I just wanted to tell you I have done this, and with a Canon (pixma 4000), too.

jasong
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2006, 01:03 PM

I'd forgotten about this thread. While my Canon i560 worked perfectly, my new Canon MP500 does not. Oftentimes a print job will just stop at a random point on the MP500 under Tiger. My PC does not seem to have this problem, but I print much less often on it. It's at the point that when I am printing a photo, I just plug the printer in directly instead of using Airport since I don't want to waste the paper and ink.

I've upgraded to the latest Canon drivers and the problem is still there. This is under 10.4.6 with an Airport Express with the latest drivers/firmware.
-- Jason

Oneota
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2006, 05:03 PM

If you're running the latest firmware on the AirPort, try downgrading to v5.5.1. That's the last version that's been stable for us.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...formacosx.html

or

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...wfirmware.html
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Apr 17, 2006, 07:36 PM

I didn't find a solution... why do you have to be an ass.
I'm not an ass. I'm a horse.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2006, 09:16 PM

I too am having problems with Bonjour and my printers. While I don't waste paper and ink (yet), its dog slow. Sending a print job to my deskjet 960 from my G5 to my mini it took well over 10 minutes.

I tried printing to my kodak 1400 (dye-sub printer for photos) and after 20 minutes I cancelled the job and connected the printer to my G5.

I'm not sure what's going on but the wait is unacceptable
~Mike

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2006, 05:00 AM

New base station, new firmware, newest OS version, same old PowerBook and same old Canon IP5000 and yes, every now and then this still happens.

J

jasong
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2006, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Oneota
If you're running the latest firmware on the AirPort, try downgrading to v5.5.1. That's the last version that's been stable for us.
Great, except I have an Airport Express.
-- Jason

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2006, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Oneota

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...formacosx.html

or

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...wfirmware.html
Did this cure your problem... or are you just guessing it will work. I really like the idea of printing wirelessly but, if it doesn't work, it defeats the purpose. I'm glad I'm not the only one with problems since Tiger.

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2006, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man
Its not just a Canon problem, it happens with many printers. There's even issues where everything worked fine in 10.3, and stopped working on 10.4. Its an Apple thing, I blame solely Apple on it b/c if printing works fine with a given printer plugged directly to it, but doesn't when plugged into an AE, the AE is Apple's part in the equation. If that part fails, its not a driver issue. Apple advertises the AE as a way to have wireless printing, not a way to sometimes have wireless printing.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

Oneota
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2006, 06:22 PM

Great, except I have an Airport Express.
I was talking to the original poster, though (who has an AirPort Extreme).

Oneota
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2006, 06:24 PM

Did this cure your problem... or are you just guessing it will work. I really like the idea of printing wirelessly but, if it doesn't work, it defeats the purpose. I'm glad I'm not the only one with problems since Tiger.
Well, I don't run any printers through our AirPort Extremes. I just know that we've got a whole crapload of AE stations at our institution, and they'd crash on a regular basis under 5.7, but they're stable under 5.5.1.

Worth trying, at least.

Forum Links
Forum Rules