Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Mighty Mouse!

Mighty Mouse! (Page 2)
f1000
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by alligator
I'm not impressed. I expect more from Apple. This is simply a combination of existing technologies and nothing new.

Now, how many of you are really going to keep your fingers hovering over the buttons, and never touch them unless you intend to make a "click"? There's a reason everyone else stuck with a true switch design instead of a touch sensitive design.

This has failure written all over it.
I think you're jumping to conclusions. These touch sensitive buttons are probably pressure sensitive, just like those on the Logitech Presenter. On the Logitech, you can rest your finger on the touch-sensitive "buttons" without activating them. You have to press down on them to get the piezo click feedback.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 01:40 PM

^ While your first point in a tad cynical, I *can* see this being a failure unless those touch features are executed perfectly.

I agree w/ tooki actually...a cord doesn't bother me. I don't take my mouse further than I can read my screen, which is like 3 feet or less away.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by zoetrope
Bluetooth schmuetooth, I'm suprised no one cares about the 360 degree scrolling capabilities. I don't know of another mouse that can do this yet, and for graphics work I can see how this would be quite useful. Goin' down to the U Village this evening to check it out. If I like it, its mine
This is just what I was thinking. You'd have to pry my wired MX500 and all it's buttons from my cold dead hands, but this "scroll anywhere" thing really has me excited!

Anyone recall old rumors of Apple making a mouse you can "squeeze"? That was before the Apple Pro Mouse came out I think, but I never really though of that one as squeezable. The Mighty Mouse actually has pressure sensitive sides that you squeeze (act as one button?), and I'm quite curious about this.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

reemas
Senior User
Aug 2, 2005, 01:52 PM

This is not that Mighty. They should rename it to Mini Mouse.

Its kind of like Superman, but with a leash.

I cant wait for the $99 Bluetooth version though.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 01:59 PM

Presumably the first 'NNer to get his/her mitts on one of these will grace us with the real scoop on the touch sensitivity. My initial interpretation on reading about Mighty Mouse was that the top shell moves up and down exactly like the ones on the current Apple mice, and the touch sensitivity just tells locates the finger that does the clicking. If it's not like that, it seems like an abjectly ridiculous design. Though there is the precedent of the widely-despised hockey puck, I can't imagine Apple would put out a mouse with a design so poor as to be susceptible to constant detection of unintended clicks.

Somebody go fondle one of these things already, and let us know the deal!

gbarill
Aug 2, 2005, 02:02 PM

i'm glad it's not wireless (there are those of us who don't have bluetooth you know)
i agree with tooki, a mouse is always in the same place anyways, i don't really see the point of wireless (not to say i wouldn't get one if i could, but i might not)

i think this looks great, and about the touch sensitive buttons, let me ask this: how often has apple come out with a product where we all cringe and say "ooh, i dunno about that" then as soon as you try it out, you fall in love with it... this is what apple does best, folks, i'll bash it when i try it and it sucks, until then i expect that apple has spent quite a bit of time and money making sure this mouse is a pleasure to use

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2005, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by alligator
This has failure written all over it.
i'm sure that's never been uttered in apple's boardroom...

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

zoetrope
Aug 2, 2005, 02:11 PM

I'm headin' down to my local Apple Store in approximately one hour. I'll try it out (and buy it if I like it), and report back to the 'NNers unless someone beats me to it. Curse you full time employment. But then again, I couldn't afford the Apple toys otherwise.
-- Power Mac G5 Dual 2.7GHz | 2.5GB RAM | 2x250GB HDs | 16x SuperDrive | 20" ACD
-- PowerBook G4 12" 1.33GHz | 1.25GB RAM | 80GB HD | 4x SuperDrive
-- Mac mini G4 1.42GHz | 512MB RAM | 80GB HD | Combo Drive

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 02:38 PM

Hurry up and report, Zoetrope! I have $10 that says the button clicks down just like the ole' pill mouse, and that the touch sensors simply tell the mouse if the click is on the left or right-hand side. (Remember that this thing is programable as a single-button mouse as well.)

Some important facts no one has discussed:

1) This mouse is Winblows compatible.
2) Tiger is required for full programability.

What do people think about that?

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 02:45 PM

Can the side mouse buttons be programmed independantly of eachother? That doesn't appear to be the case. Can I set the side buttons to forward scroll and back scroll between pages in Safari?

Sage
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 02:46 PM

I have another question: Does the ball actually roll (like a trackball), or do it move like the stick-in-the-middle-of-the-keyboard on old laptops? I'd actually prefer the latter, just because it'd be better at preventing RSI.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2005, 02:47 PM

Does this mouse have tactile feedback? The fact that it has a built in speaker makes me believe not. This would be a serious disadvantage.

Macadvo
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2005, 02:48 PM

Mine is ordered and delivery is quoted at 3-5 business days so as soon as it hits my house I'll tell you all what it's like.

I've been hanging onto my M$ Intellimouse Explorer v3 for a while now waiting on all these "two button mouse from Apple" rumours. I almost succumbed two weeks ago and ordered myself a BT Apple Pro mouse after buying one for my girlfriend and seeing how sleek it is (bought myself an AEBS and a Sony PSP instead ) but I'm glad I hung on now.

/me can't wait

osxisfun
Aug 2, 2005, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by dark3lf
Can the side mouse buttons be programmed independantly of eachother? That doesn't appear to be the case. Can I set the side buttons to forward scroll and back scroll between pages in Safari?

i hope so but it seems no.

I hope the USB overdrive guy can hack this mouse !

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by d0ubled0wn
I agree. Having tactile feedback I think is important. Would anyone want a touch sensitive keyboard?? But I'm willing to try it out at my local Apple Store.
Dude, a touch sensitive keyboard would be sweet!

To the Bluetooth/wireless fanatics:

What is so great about not having a wire? Seriously- I mean this mouse can scroll 360!!! And you are going to cry because it has a wire? Are you so frail that the wire offers too much resistance when you move the mouse? I can see how its a cool showy feature to have for the sake of having it- but is it so important that it warrents statements to the sound of "I won't buy anything with a wire" and "It will fail without Bluetooth".

Remember, this mouse is Windows compatible. Honestly, how many non-computer geeks even know what Bluetooth is anyway?

My website

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by dark3lf
Can the side mouse buttons be programmed independantly of eachother? That doesn't appear to be the case.
Wrong. This does appear to be the case.

http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/software.html

Its fully customizable. Don't you people read?

My website

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by osxrules
The cable needs to be longer too. I got rid of my pro mouse pretty quick after realising the usb ports on my ibook were on the left and the cable only just reached round my 12" ibook. After getting a 3 button M$ optical mouse, I never looked back and now have a 5-button.
I thought about this as well. I have long been considering getting a mouse for my iBook because I really do not like trackpads all that much and especially having to press control while clicking to get a right click. However, a few of my conerns are as follows:
  • I couldn't find a length of the cord, but with the USB being on the left of the iBook and me being a righty, would it be too short to use comfortably?
  • About mice and laptops in general: While I do not like trackpads, I am concerned that if I spend $50 on this mouse I'll end up not using it because of it being a hassle to plug in and take out all the time while moving the laptop. Also, if I'm just sitting on the couch browsing the web, I'd pretty much be stuck with the trackpad because there would be no reasonable place to put the mouse. Does anybody have any issues using mice with their laptops or just find it too much of a hassle?

The Mighty Mouse seems awesome, though, as it is out at the perfect time for switchers (along with intel machines etc.). The 360 degree scrolling thing looks really cool as well as the squeeze functions. Good job Apple!

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 2, 2005, 03:02 PM

Fellow New Yawkers, there are none for sale or on display at the SoHo store or at Digital Society downtown. Rats! Er, Mice!

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2005, 03:03 PM

i want it in bluetooth since i sometimes share my apple wireless mouse with my imac and my powerbook. if i really don't feel like sitting upstairs in my room on my imac, but rather somewhere else in the house, i pick up the mouse and my powerbook.

i prefer doing design work with a mouse instead of my powerbook's trackpad. reaching behind the imac to plug and unplug the mouse isn't the end of the world, but if i could have a wireless version, i'd much rather choose it.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2005, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Miniryu
Dude, a touch sensitive keyboard would be sweet!
A touch sensitive keyboard would be total crap. Ever heard of "touch typing"? Not everybody is typing with the two finger eagle method.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2005, 03:11 PM

You can see from the graphic that the buttons on the side are linked together.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2005, 03:14 PM

Um, look at the screenshot. Both side buttons are linked to one function...
MBP 1.83

schalliol
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 03:19 PM

There are other 360° scrolling mice: http://www.trust.com/products/product.aspx?artnr=12680
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

as2
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 03:21 PM

[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

osxisfun
Aug 2, 2005, 03:22 PM

Perhaps you should learn to read first.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by mhuie
Um, look at the screenshot. Both side buttons are linked to one function...
HA HA HA- well okay- I was reading, but I guess I didn't take time to stop and look at the pictures. But yes, they do seem to confirm that the side buttons work as one.

My website

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 2, 2005, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by as2
They should learn how to take photos... grr!

Every single closeup is blurred to the point of uselessness.

tooki

viruscool
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2005, 03:57 PM

This is my take on the touch sensitive buttons. Basically, you click the whole mouse body down like you would on the Pro Mouse, no difference there. The difference comes with which finger you click it down with, so there shouldn't be any complaints about having to hover above the mouse, it will work just like a normal two buttoned mouse but with only one button

As for the wireless, I'm not fussed, my mouse never leaves its position on my table.

One thing that bugs me is why have a speaker in it?
(The dark lord has risen again......Beware)

osxisfun
Aug 2, 2005, 03:58 PM

guess they though the audio feedback worked well.

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Aug 2, 2005, 04:16 PM

bluetooth, if anybody noticed, makes the mouse alot more expensive. A quality bluetooth mouse isn't cheap, I put on order the other day so I could use it with my new powerbook.

I don't think Apple can sell the might mouse, with the features it has now, at the $50 price point...it'd probably shoot up to $80, and that's starting to get steep.

And as somebody else pointed out, bluetooth isn't standard with most PC's. This mouse is marketed towards everyone in mind.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

Paco500
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 04:20 PM

OK- I have actually used one, I guy in my office just came back from the Apple Store with one.

As for the worry about feedback on clicking- no worries- it feels, as best as I could tell not having one here- exactly like the current pro mouse- you know you are clicking- sounds the same too. It's a bit disconcerting- the whole right-left click thing- but it works, I think it would not take long to get used to the feeling- it works great- used if for 10 min or so and never had an improper click.

The scrolling function, on the other hand, will take some real getting used to- it's a bit free-form and I had trouble keeping consistent between vert and horiz.

The side buttons worked fine.

It looks cool.

osxisfun
Aug 2, 2005, 04:21 PM

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2005, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by zoetrope
Goin' down to the U Village this evening to check it out. If I like it, its mine
Got back from Alderwood earlier today. People there hadn't even heard about it until a customer told them this morning. They don't know when they are getting any in stock. They said the Apple Stores might get them in a week.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

reybart
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2005, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by cube-dude
Fellow New Yawkers, there are none for sale or on display at the SoHo store or at Digital Society downtown. Rats! Er, Mice!
Thanks! I was thinking of visiting it today, any idea when?

Paco500
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 04:38 PM

The one I used was bought at the Tyson's Corner store in Va- apparently, it was the last one they had- no ETA on more yet.

badtz
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 04:52 PM

I wonder if Apple will let you control the sound volume of the minispeaker inside ........ I really hate how loud the "clicking" sound is w/the current apple mouse. :X

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2005, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by badtz
I wonder if Apple will let you control the sound volume of the minispeaker inside ........ I really hate how loud the "clicking" sound is w/the current apple mouse. :X
I'm hoping for haxies.

Custom sounds and other stuff. Plus, I wonder if USBOverdrive can reprogram the side buttons.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Sage
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 04:59 PM

Hmm, sounds like you have to lift your left finger when right-clicking – at least that's what one of the article's commenters said. Anybody else find this true?

inkhead
Senior User
Aug 2, 2005, 05:14 PM

My mouse will be here first thing in the morning.. :-) I'll give everyone feedback. I will be a very harsh judge since I currently use the logitech mx1000 laser mouse ;-)

It's a good deal a mouse from Apple for $50 lol. Usually they way way overcharge for mice. Hopefully this thing will be worth it.

baw
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 05:37 PM

I heard Mighty Mouse uses an iNtel processor.

And what is the big deal about the cord? You all act like the cord is using up valuable space.

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2005, 05:47 PM

I just bought one today at the Apple Store.

Let me just say I'm impressed. It works just like the single-button mouse would, but with added features. As far as I can tell, there is no built-in speaker that makes the click sound. The mouse pivots and clicks just like the pro mouse does, but it detects whether you clicked on the right side or the left side of the mouse.

The ball is amazing. It's incredibly smooth and scrolls pretty fast too. You just have to get used to the small size of it.

The side buttons are pretty cool, but I myself probably won't use them since I use that area to pick up my mouse when I run out of space on my mouse pad.

Anyone who's looking for a good scroll mouse that matches your Mac should get one of these.

BTW - the Apple Store near me had these in stock for only an hour after they opened this morning. They seem to be a hot commodity!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2005, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by OogaBooga
The mouse pivots and clicks just like the pro mouse does, but it detects whether you clicked on the right side or the left side of the mouse.
Can anyone make a movie of this mouse-clicking process?

viruscool
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2005, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by OogaBooga
I just bought one today at the Apple Store.

Let me just say I'm impressed. It works just like the single-button mouse would, but with added features. As far as I can tell, there is no built-in speaker that makes the click sound. The mouse pivots and clicks just like the pro mouse does, but it detects whether you clicked on the right side or the left side of the mouse.

The ball is amazing. It's incredibly smooth and scrolls pretty fast too. You just have to get used to the small size of it.

The side buttons are pretty cool, but I myself probably won't use them since I use that area to pick up my mouse when I run out of space on my mouse pad.

Anyone who's looking for a good scroll mouse that matches your Mac should get one of these.

BTW - the Apple Store near me had these in stock for only an hour after they opened this morning. They seem to be a hot commodity!
I take it that the rumour about having to lift your finger up while clicking with the other finger is false?
(The dark lord has risen again......Beware)

zoetrope
Aug 2, 2005, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by goMac:
Got back from Alderwood earlier today. People there hadn't even heard about it until a customer told them this morning. They don't know when they are getting any in stock. They said the Apple Stores might get them in a week.
Alright, its taken me two hours to get one, but I was able to snag the last one at the Apple Store in the Bellevue Galleria. The U Village store had a shipment in this morning but sold out in an hour. However, I was lucky enough to catch the store manager out on the floor and she called Bellevue and had them hold the last one. Both stores said they expect more shipments next week.

Besides repeating what the reviews have already stated, this mouse operates very much the same as Apple's one button mouse, except of course with the addition of three more and an eraser point like scrollball. The two big differences are the scrollball and the side buttons. The scrollball feels very much like the eraser point mice on notebooks, except a little looser and a more fragile feel. However, its also very sensitive, and I was right about the 360 degree scrolling being very useful for graphics and photo editing software. So the left and right buttons are not really touch sensitive, they operate the same way as Apple's previous mice, you push either left or right to acitvate the respective clicks. Its the side buttons that are touch sensitive, so you can leave your fingers above the left and right button areas while moving the cursor with no problems. The scroll ball is the best part of this mouse. Its sensitive without being overly so, it moves 360 degrees, not just left or right or up or down, and does give enough tactile response to let the user know which direction your moving the tiny point. If you hold down on the scroll ball and the mouse it recoginizes the ball itself as being clicked, just like pushing down on a scroll wheel.

For all those who need to maneuver around large graphic files, this scroll ball is a godsend. The diagonal scrolling does live up to all the hype, and is the primary reason I bought this mouse. I was always frustrated, even though I could hold down the shift key and scroll horizontally with a wheel, that I wasn't able to scroll 360 degrees. I imagine this will shave four to six seconds off when working with large graphic files and maneuvering around. And the number of times that happens during a session, well this mouse will indeed save me some time. It sounds as with all Apple products, the intial shipments of these mice were limited, and probably snatched up very quickly. This mouse will be replacing my Logitech MX700, not my Wacom tablet though.
-- Power Mac G5 Dual 2.7GHz | 2.5GB RAM | 2x250GB HDs | 16x SuperDrive | 20" ACD

Necrocool
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2005, 05:58 PM

So I got one... and it's actually pretty cool... buttons act the same way as the Pro Mouse. It basicly senses where you are clicking from and the while mouse is a button exactly like before. The click ball is the most amazing thing on this mouse. It's really smooth comparing to triditional wheels. The side buttons actually don't need to be "squeezed" with two fingers. They actually work individually, but you can't program them for different actions yet... maybe/hope they can upgrade the software to enable different actions someday.

Overall, it's a huge improvement over what they had before, pretty neat.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 06:06 PM

Does anyone else have "speaker" info? I'm pretty sure that was in the specs.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

f1000
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 06:22 PM

Has anybody noticed that the Mighty Mouse is ambidextrous? Lefties should be happy.

MDWeezer
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2005, 06:30 PM

Here it is folks!!! The first video review of the Mighty Mouse!!!

I went to my local CompUSA and they didn't have any and had no clue what I was even talk about, I might hit up the Apple Store in Orlando this weekend unless I decide to just order on on the store.

But anyway, here is the video, enjoy!

http://theory.isthereason.com/?p=300

zoetrope
Aug 2, 2005, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by viruscool:

I take it that the rumour about having to lift your finger up while clicking with the other finger is false?
That is correct. No need to lift a finger when either clicking left or right. Instead of touch sensitive Apple should be promoting this mouse as pressure sensitive instead.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 2, 2005, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by f1000
Has anybody noticed that the Mighty Mouse is ambidextrous? Lefties should be happy.
How is this anything special? There have been ambidextrous mice from the very beginning, and in fact non-ambidextrous mice are rarer on the whole.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules