Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > What makes a good keyboard?

What makes a good keyboard?
irockdabari
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2006, 02:49 AM

Hello all,

I was curious to ask what everyone thinks makes a good keyboard.

Lets share

I like the Apple Keyboards, but whats really awesome are those retro keyboards that are super spring loaded and are really loud. Those are great
iMac G4 800Mhz 256 MB, 12" iBook G4 1.0 Ghz 768 MB, 12" PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

irockdabari  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2006, 02:54 AM

sry double post here...
iMac G4 800Mhz 256 MB, 12" iBook G4 1.0 Ghz 768 MB, 12" PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jan 12, 2006, 06:30 PM

You'll probably get different answers depending on who you talk to but my favorite keyboard is the one from the PowerBook G4. The Kensington SlimType for my Power Mac is close but I say second to the PowerBook. So what makes a good keyboard for me?

I really don't like the super loud retro keyboards of the past. I also don't like the super quiet ones either but it shouldn't be louder than my radio or tv. I would rather listen to my radio when on the comptuer than my keyboard. What I do like are the laptop style keyboards. I tend to type faster because the keys are thinner so I don't have push down as far. With a standard keyboard my fingers seem to sink down too far to press a key. You'll have to using a PowerBook keyboard to know the difference between the two.

I also like my keyboards flat like a laptop's because bending my wrists back seems to cause it more pain. It's recommended that keeping our hands flat is better for long hours of typing. Apple's free standard desktop keyboard has a slight upward arch that I don't like. Lastly, the keys can't be too stiff either. It has to have the right amount of cushion so that it feels just right. If you have typed with the PowerBook's keyboard then you'll know what I'm talking about. I also find that Kensington's SlimType is very close for those of you using a desktop but want the feel of a PowerBook.

To sum it up, a good keyboard for me is one that feels good and allows me to type fast and accurately. I've used many different keyboards such as standard desktop keyboards, laptops, and ergonomic keyboards on both the PC and Mac. My favorite is the PowerBook G4 and a close second is the Kensington SlimType.

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2006, 08:29 PM

i like laptop keyboards more than plug in keyboards. My ibooks keyboard is the best iv ever used. I love the sound it makes as you type.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 12, 2006, 09:27 PM

Key "feel" (including resistance, travel, and return time), keycap size (how much of the space the key takes up versus how much surface the cap presents to the user), and feedback, whether physical or electronically generated. These three things are immensely important to me, because they allow me to forget about the keyboard as such and just type.

Right now I'm using a Kensington Pilot Board keyboard, which supports both Mac and Windows layouts (still saving pennies for a Mini...), and it's quite good. Since I learned to type on a typewriter, albeit an electric typewriter, I like to have a decently firm key resistance, as well as plenty of space for my relatively large fingertips to sit on the keys. And it's always a good thing to be able to train your fingers to know when you've actually properly struck the key, preventing multiple keystrokes or missed keystrokes.

Finally, look for good ergonomics, particularly the slope of the keyboard. You DO NOT want to have carpal tunnel surgery. TRUST ME ON THIS.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jwoods
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2006, 09:48 PM

I dunno. I use a logitech at home, and one of the Dell keyboards at work. As long as it works, and the keys don't stick I don't really have a problem with it.

I do like them to be thin, however. No preference if it clicks or makes a noise or anything.

If it helps, I learned to type on a manual keyboard, so I tend to hammer the keys anyway.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jan 12, 2006, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
keycap size (how much of the space the key takes up versus how much surface the cap presents to the user)
Yes, that is important too. I hate it when a keyboard tappers too much from the bottom up to the surface. This leaves much less surface to press the keys causing more typos. It also leaves less room for my fingers to "rest" on the keys themselves. Although the worst are the keyboards for mini laptops. Since they are trying to save space they condense the keys so close together it becomes painful for me to type on them long.

Originally Posted by jwoods
As long as it works, and the keys don't stick I don't really have a problem with it.
I used to feel that way too, but if you are used to eating Vanilla ice cream all your life you won't know what is out there. In the beginning I really didn't pay much attention to my keyboards because I thought they were all the same. I started looking for different keyboards when I started getting wrist pains. After trying out about 20 different keyboards I realized there were definitely more than just one type of keyboard out there.

I compare it to comfortable chairs. You really don't know how important comfortable chairs are until you spending hours sitting in them. You also don't know the difference until you try them all out. Even if you don't sit a lot, most people will appreciate a comfortable chair when they compare them with the average cheap chair. You can just feel the difference instantly and that's the same with my keyboard experiences. At my previous job I usually had to type for hours so a good comfortable keyboard was very important to me. It's also easy to try out most keyboards for free if you go into your local comptuer store.

Lastly, if you didn't know. The person who invented our current keyboard layout made the keyboard hard and akward to use on purpose. It was something about making it harder for people to type faster since they were jamming up the typewriters of that time. All future generations since then had to suffer this problem. The way I see it is that using a standard keyboard is just continuing the pushishment...I choose not to.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2006, 04:44 AM

Lord have mercy. I can't stand laptop keyboards.

Not that there's anything wrong with those who do, I just personally feel that way. I tend to hit the keys rather hard, so that probably has something to do with it.

I've always liked the Apple Pro keyboard. I've had a few different versions.

I'm typing this on an AWK, and now that I'm paying attention to it, I'd say the keys have too high of a resistance, and the travel feels mushy. I had to walk over to my APK to make sure it wasn't the same way. There's absolutely a difference.

This strikes me as odd, since they have the same look/design going on.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2006, 07:17 AM

Key "feel" (including resistance, travel, and return time), keycap size (how much of the space the key takes up versus how much surface the cap presents to the user), and feedback, whether physical or electronically generated. These three things are immensely important to me, because they allow me to forget about the keyboard as such and just type.
This pretty much summarizes my opinion, but I add the ability to be cleaned easily! Often you almost have to unscrew the bottom to get the crumbs out, because the corners are recessed in the plastic, so even a shot of compressed air can't get them out!

Having a USB hub is a big plus, almost a must nowadays! Quietness is also very important, as I often type late at night with people not too far away, sleeping. A last point, not very important but very convenient, having some extra buttons that can be programmed for different tasks, especially for controlling multimedia features (+- volume, eject media, pause, etc).

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2006, 07:59 AM

I personally like a relatively quiet short throw keyboard with decent sized keys. I love my powerbook keyboard, and it definitely is one of the best I've ever used. I do like the standard apple keyboards, as well as the keyboards found on IBM T4x series laptops. Fast key return is very nice, as is an overall sturdy feel.
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

OreoCookie
Jan 13, 2006, 09:20 AM

I have a Tactile Pro and I love it. It's noisy, but the feel of the keys is just wonderful. I really type faster. Fortunately my room mate (we share an office) hasn't complained … yet
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 13, 2006, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire
This pretty much summarizes my opinion, but I add the ability to be cleaned easily! Often you almost have to unscrew the bottom to get the crumbs out, because the corners are recessed in the plastic, so even a shot of compressed air can't get them out!
I didn't mention that level of cleaning because I've been "conditioned" not to eat anywhere near the keyboard. The flat spot on the back of my head reminds me not to!

Most of the time I vacuum the keyboard while using an auto detailing brush. They're about 1/2 inch in diameter with two inch long, soft bristles, so they're very easy on hardware, they have natural bristles so there's no static, and they're inexpensive too. Since I don't have to worry about what's under the keycaps, vacuuming is mostly for removing dust.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2006, 07:13 AM

I didn't mention that level of cleaning because I've been "conditioned" not to eat anywhere near the keyboard.
Well I've mentionned crumbs not to sound too disgusting, but I share this keyboard with a few roomates and sometimes, I wonder if some of the things I find in there are really from human origin..

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 14, 2006, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire
Well I've mentionned crumbs not to sound too disgusting, but I share this keyboard with a few roomates and sometimes, I wonder if some of the things I find in there are really from human origin..
Eeeewwwwwww!! Tell them to get their own keyboards for "that sort of thing." Yuck!

Or better yet, when you're done, place plastic wrap over the keyboard, sort of like the way they used to do with cash registers in fast food places. If you wrap the plastic all the way around the keyboard, the roomies may start getting the picture...

deebob255
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2006, 01:06 PM

Depends on whether one "hunts and pecks" with one or two fingers or whether one is an accomplished typer. I like a firm key, plenty of separation between keys, a nice clunking sound when typing fast. I was a Navy Yeoman many years ago, typing on old mechanical typewriters and accounting for the pitch and roll aboard ship. There is no one perfect keyboard -- this is a personal thing. I have a Microsoft 1031 hooked up to my MacMini and a Kensington to my iMac -- don't particulay like either one but can't find any I like better. By the way, most of my computer time is on word processing, preparing documents. Keep smiling. deebob255

Forum Links
Forum Rules