Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Cisco VPN and Macbook Pro

Cisco VPN and Macbook Pro
jimbosyn
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2006, 12:08 AM

Hi Guys,
Does anyone know if the Cisco VPN client will work under Rosetta on my Macbook Pro? This tool is very essential on "work from home" days and after hours system maintenance.

My theory is that it will NOT work since it uses kernel extensions to operate. Does anyone else use the Cisco VPN client and know if it will work?

I actually have a possible workaround using a linux box as a vpn client gateway, but his is an ugly hack and would take at least a few hours to test and implement.

This is the only real show stopper for me. My MBP is on order and I don't want to wait until Cisco, who is notoriously slow, releases a universal binary.

Any input is appreciated

-jimbo

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2006, 12:23 AM

That's actually a very good question, as I use the Cisco VPN client daily. I'd also be very interested in knowing if it will work with the intel macs when they first are released with emulation. I suspect it won't either, but here's to hoping Cisco gets around to it by the time I buy a MacBook Pro.
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2006, 12:37 AM

Hi,

well as it wont be possible to test it with the macbook since it is not out yet you can try floating this question in the imac section since some poeple seem to already have the intel core duo system. They can test it for you if you ask them and they are willing to go to the effort

The imac and macbook should be essentially the same systems as far as running software is concerned so that may be a way for you to get an answer nice and quick.

I would also suspect that significant updates may be comming for vpn as i have seen that some people have found that it doesnt work with tiger or has some bugs... but i also use it on my PB under tiger and it is just fine so i cant really talk much about that area.

i still think you shouldnt bail out on the new macbook if you really want it. or..... go for the new acer travelmate (core duo) which is wonderfully configured!! (better specs than the apple) if you dont mind what os you are using...

good luck!

robM

jimbosyn  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2006, 10:43 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'll float this over in the iMac forum to see if anyone has given it a try yet.

I currently have a powerbook with Tiget and the Cisco VPN client works without issue.

if you dont mind what os you are using...
I do. There is a brand new Dell D610 laptop in my desk drawer at the office. I boot it up monthly to get security patches. Other than that, it lives it's life in the dark.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2006, 02:09 PM

It's a dell... that's it's favorite place. I'm sure it will still develop a fan issue in it's lifetime... maybe this time from lack of use. It's common knowledge that the fans dell uses in their laptops have a MTBF of 24hrs.

The cisco VPN client did have issues with Tiger when it was first launched for a few weeks. It works fine now (just as it did under 10.3). I'm actually currently in my school's student union connected through our VPN via the cisco client. It's quite important to me to have said client because for specific reasons it's the only one that will work here
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Forum Links
Forum Rules