Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Adding RAM

Adding RAM
will123ab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2006, 06:25 PM

Is any brand of RAM compatible with the standard RAM that comes with my PowerBook. I have found some great deals on newegg.com and I want to make sure that if I buy a different brand it wont screw up the machine

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 18, 2006, 06:32 PM

Any brand may be compatible, some brands guarantee compatibility (although you usually have to buy it directly from them instead of through a reseller like Newegg). Crucial is one of the latter.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2006, 01:59 PM

Do you have one of the newer powerbooks that uses DDR2 ram or one of the older ones with DDR. I have the latter, and I've purchased both of my 1gb sticks from newegg. One is kingmax branded and the other is gigaram - i would recomed either as both work just as well as the apple branded stuff.
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2006, 08:15 AM

I used Crucial to upgrade my PB from 512MB with an additional 1GB of RAM. Great service, they guarentee compatibility ......and it made a big difference to my PB. Much recommended

n2themuzic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2006, 09:48 PM

jbleisure...I just recieved my ram from Crucial but when i want to install it i noticed that I need a #00 phillips screwdriver. I did a google search for the screwdriver and found that other people are having problems one finding it locally and with this size they are saying its to small. Did you install it yourself, If you did did you have any problems...

b33faroni
Jan 24, 2006, 10:09 PM

Yea I upgraded my PB with crucial RAM too, tho I have a little comp toolkit that had the right size screwdriver to get in, you can prolly pick em up for cheap at comp stores.

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2006, 01:31 AM

I got a one gig stick of Centon DDR2 from compusa so that I could make sure that it worked and it did. They make some secifically for the PowerBook. It works just fine.
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

n2themuzic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2006, 12:04 PM

I checked a few computer stores and all they sell is the kit there where around $30 (i live in NYC-everything is expensive) anyway i just order a 00 phillips for $5. I hope it works..Was it hard to get into the PB. Ive been reading some stories about people who try to do it themselves and stripping the screws due to the fact that the screws are pretty tight.

jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2006, 06:08 PM

I bought a (very small) screwdriver set in a £1 store and so was lucky. I knew there was a danger of stripping the screw head, often is with such small screws - so my advice is make sure the screwdriver is dead vertical and use a firm uniform pressure to move the whole screw. Once you get the initial turn you will be fine.

jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2006, 06:10 PM

The first time I put the extra RAM in it didn't register and I had to re-insert it using much more pressure until it clipped into place. Then it was fine.

lounge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2006, 11:43 PM

i just used an eyeglasses screwdriver to change the ram... worked like a champ
1.5GHz 12" G4 Powerbook, 1.25GB RAM, Superdrive, 80GB HD
60GB IPod video

Forum Links
Forum Rules