Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Logitech Control Center Update

Logitech Control Center Update
neps
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2006, 06:10 PM

Hey,

Logitech just released 1.62 of their Keyboard & Mouse software. Their previous version being 1.60.

1.1. What's new in this release?
This release provides support for new mice and keyboards.
I'm hoping this will support my MX 3000, but I'm not home to check. Anyone have an incompatible keyboard they wish to try out?

This diver coincides with the release of Logitech® Cordless Desktop® S 530 Laser for Mac® which is the mac version of the Logitech® Cordless Desktop® S 510. They boy use the same USB type receiver, so I wonder if that control is now available to us for other keyboards of a similar type.

(link might not work, if so goto logitech support center and goto a keyboard you know is mac compatible)

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/do...id=6997,OSID=9

venom600
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2006, 06:53 AM

I can't say because I am using an Elite Keyboard and MX500 mouse (both supported). Tommorow I plan on picking up either an MX518 or G5 mouse, neither of which are supported, so we will see if they at least allow rudimentary control, or whether I will need to revert back to USB overdrive to get the same functionality.

voo
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2006, 09:03 PM

What I don't get is why they list Macintosh OS X 10.2.8 - 10.4.2, they always seem to be months and months behind from the last OS release and still have issues...

goofticket
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2006, 03:27 PM

I have a Logitech Marble Mouse on an Intel iMac. I prefer the trackball to the MM scroll wheel, but I cannot program anything.
The current 1.6.3 Logitech Control center does intall, but cannot open on the Intel.
I tired the third party Steer Mouse, but that is a trial period demo. It still would not let me program my 3rd & 4th buttons for scrolling.
I can wait and until then will jusst have to use the browser scroll bar or the PgUp and PgDn buttons.
I would be nice, but not the end of civilization....just yet!

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Jan 28, 2006, 05:03 PM

I'm currently needing a universal version of this too. USB Overdrive will have to suffice for now, though it won't work well at all w/ my MX 1000. buttons simply won't map correctly. I'd be pissed if I paid the price for USB overdrive though. yowza!

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2006, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by goofticket
I have a Logitech Marble Mouse on an Intel iMac. I prefer the trackball to the MM scroll wheel, but I cannot program anything.
The current 1.6.3 Logitech Control center does intall, but cannot open on the Intel.
I tired the third party Steer Mouse, but that is a trial period demo. It still would not let me program my 3rd & 4th buttons for scrolling.
I can wait and until then will jusst have to use the browser scroll bar or the PgUp and PgDn buttons.
I would be nice, but not the end of civilization....just yet!
At least in Safari, Spacebar takes you down a page and Shift Spacebar takes you up a page. Sometimes I find it more convenient to use than the pgup/dn buttons.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2006, 09:26 PM

There is, I believe, a new Universal binary of USB Overdrive.
Until Logitech updates their software, USB Overdrive should work for you.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2006, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
There is, I believe, a new Universal binary of USB Overdrive.
Until Logitech updates their software, USB Overdrive should work for you.
Nope, not if you have a bluetooth logitech mouse since USB Overdrive doesn't work with bluetooth.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2006, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist
Nope, not if you have a bluetooth logitech mouse since USB Overdrive doesn't work with bluetooth.
Apparently a program called GamePad Companion by Carware, while made for (wait for it...) gamepads, works with BlueTooth meeses. I think it's a prefpane, though, and just like I'm too lazy to link, I'm too lazy to doublecheck that and whether it's Universal yet.. I would do the legwork, but I gotta go walk the dog.

I got the product's and developer's names right, though, so y'all can check for yourselves and report back.

Edit: Oops. Call me Wrongy McWrongstein the Incorrect. It was Carvware. Anyway, it is a Pref Pane and doesn't seem to have been updated since last April. The dev's site hasn't been updated since then either, so their plans w/r/t Intel Macs are a mystery.

Unless anyone else around here has the inside story..
( Last edited by slugslugslug; Feb 2, 2006 at 04:42 PM. )

dcsmrgun
Feb 4, 2006, 04:04 PM

Nuts, I just bought an MX1000 wireless and completely forgot that LCC isn't universal. Debating picking up USB Overdrive. Then again I can probably live with just 3 buttons until they update the binary.

voo
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2006, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by dcsmrgun
Nuts, I just bought an MX1000 wireless and completely forgot that LCC isn't universal. Debating picking up USB Overdrive. Then again I can probably live with just 3 buttons until they update the binary.
What happens if you move the wheel sidescroll to the left, does it launch spotlight?

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2006, 11:15 AM

Works great with the S530 desktop.

dcsmrgun
Feb 6, 2006, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by voo
What happens if you move the wheel sidescroll to the left, does it launch spotlight?
Nope, does nothing. If the window has a horizontal scrollbar, it will scroll to the left/right as expected though.

Its very functional right now, except I have a lot of unused buttons. No worse than the MightyMouse that shipped with the system though.

voo
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2006, 09:27 PM

Strange, my left scroll is now functioning as normal. /me touches wood

dcsmrgun, what about down scroll does that launch the app switcher? To take advantage of the unused buttons, till Logitech makes it Universal I suppose you could map them to Expose.

I just haven't been using the control center due to a first bad experience with a faulty meece.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2006, 02:03 AM

I've been using USB Overdrive with my MX1000 since I bought the mouse. I never install LCC. It's actually a downgrade from their halfway decent OS 9 drivers. At least the OS 9 drivers had per application settings. But even then, I preferred USB OD. Very much worth the price I paid.

There's another USB/Bluetooth mouse driver called SteerMouse. I haven't tried it but it looks like it might be worth a try.

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2006, 10:48 AM

Has anyone tried LLC with the S510 keyboard and mouse yet?
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2006, 07:21 PM

Wow, I hadn't heard of SteerMouse, but it seems pretty nice. And it apparently works w/Bluetooth and Intel Macs. The USB Overdrive guy better put the baby down and get to work, 'cause the competition's piling up.

El Mago
Feb 8, 2006, 09:48 AM

Has anyone tried "Steermouse" with the MX1000?

http://plentycom.jp/en/steermouse/download.html

tthornyone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2006, 03:56 PM

I'm Confused......... The Logitech MX1000 mouse sounds real cool, but I don't think it works with my Intel Imac, or when it might. I tried their site - I can't find it now (bookmarks!) but I saw something to the effect they would have a new driver soon. Any experience out there?

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2006, 11:49 PM

Any word yet on a universal version for Logitech control center? I have the Trackman marble wheel, and have used it for years. I use the center click for going back to the previous web page. I can't stand a mouse that moves, and my new intel imac is coming this week... I will look at the other software suggestions listed above to see if they offer the keyboard shortcut.

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2006, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by voo
I just recently installed the MX1000 in our editing suites here at work, and have been overly impressed with it's ergonomic design and it's precision. However, the default OSX drivers don't have options to remap the sidescroll functions. On my system, the left sidescroll activates the spotlight menu. Which for me is quite annoying since I have to go through some rather unique channels to get extra software installed here at work (LCC for example). I'm able to scroll to the right through my timelines, and instinctively I try to scroll left, and instead activate spotlight.

Still, overall, a great mouse.
I gotta have more cowbell.

voo
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2006, 07:00 PM

MRTrauffer, that sidescroll problem to the left is happening with all Logitech mice that have that feature.

The Logitech Control Center 2.0 is now Universal http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8154

ryarber
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2006, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by voo
MRTrauffer, that sidescroll problem to the left is happening with all Logitech mice that have that feature.

The Logitech Control Center 2.0 is now Universal http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8154
This absolutely will not work with my intel mini. I installed v. 2.0 and had major trouble. I had to break out my old mouse just to be able to control it so that I could reboot.

Mouse would move the pointer, none of the click buttons would work. The keyboard would work except the option key now acts as the command key. Special function buttons don't work on keyboard.

I have a S530 for mac cordless desktop. I've been going back and forth with logitech customer service for the last two days. They are trying to help.

EFFENDI
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2006, 02:43 AM

Anyone have any idea if the S530 will work when booted into XP on an Intel Mac Mini??? As I understand, the keyboard/mouse will not work on a PC. I assume that includes a Mac running XP.

ryarber
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2006, 11:13 AM

The mouse works ok. The keyboard works OK, but the number keys on the right don't work and most of the special keys don't work and aren't mappable that I know of. The volume, mute, and scroll keys on the keyboard work just fine, however. It would be nice if they would post a driver for windows also.

ryarber
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2006, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by ryarber
The mouse works ok. The keyboard works OK, but the number keys on the right don't work and most of the special keys don't work and aren't mappable that I know of. The volume, mute, and scroll keys on the keyboard work just fine, however. It would be nice if they would post a driver for windows also.
It seems the problem with the number keys on the right is that there is no way to set the numlock key to on. You can download a freeware app called keyset to enable the numlock key by default. Most keys work great for me now.

EFFENDI
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2006, 06:14 PM

Thanks for this valuable info.

ARENA
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2006, 11:42 AM

So can anyone confirm if the Logitech MX 3000 works with this Control Center update?
If anyone has this keyboard, ¿what keys are supported out of the box?

thanks for the feedback.

Forum Links
Forum Rules