Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > annoying sluggish mouse tracking

annoying sluggish mouse tracking
mrufrufin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2006, 03:27 PM

hi, im a new switcher. and i found that my USB logitech mouse slows down every time when i move it over a icon or link or something, and OSX's mouse tracking settings don't give me the option to adjust this acceleration. This is really annoying. I did a little research on google and found there are actually tons of people (mostly switchers) experiencing the same problem because of difference mouse acceleration curve Mac OSx uses. Well, i guess a loyal mac user might suggest me to get used to it. But isn't it more reasonable for Apple to give users the option to tweak this? even windows XP allows it! I tried USB overdrive as many on the internet suggested, but it only worked on the 1st day and then my mouse wheel fails to scroll down unless i turn overdrive off.
Does anyone here know how to make OSX's mice behave like a XP one? I know this may be trivial or not a problem at all for some of you but it's really bothering me.

Thanks.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2006, 04:27 PM

I have honestly never heard of mouse tracking slowing down when moving over links or icons, unless there is some kind of "snap to" behavior enabled. But that would be a function of the particular application.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

mrufrufin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2006, 04:54 PM

trust me. if you pay attention to how the cursor moves in OSX and XP, you'll find that in XP the cursor always moves at a speed proportional to that ur hand is moving at, but in OSX it immediately slows down more than u want it to when u slow ur hand down. It's like OSX notices that ur trying to place ur cursor over a link or an icon and it tries to help u move even slower so u could be more accurate. Some people call this "speed ramping" and it's set by default in OSx.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2006, 05:42 PM

"Speed ramping" is always on. It behaves the same whether your cursor is over an icon or not.

Are there Mac drivers for your Logitech mouse? They might give you more options.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

mrufrufin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2006, 07:20 PM

i just downloaded & installed the latest logitech drivers for it. Sadly, they don't offer the option either.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 11, 2006, 07:49 PM

I think USB Overdrive allows you to choose different acceleration profiles, although I haven't noticed the problem that you describe.

maggknot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2006, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey
I have honestly never heard of mouse tracking slowing down when moving over links or icons, unless there is some kind of "snap to" behavior enabled. But that would be a function of the particular application.

I was experiencing this when I tested the macbook at frys. Is there a way to speed it up like windows? I asked the worker at frys but he doesn't know jack about os x.

Edit: I also noticed that it couldn't catch up with my typing speed. I thought it was lagging or something.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 12, 2006, 06:47 PM

Maybe there was just something odd about that machine. It should definitely be able to keep up with your typing unless the system was really being taxed by something else (like a lot of Rosetta programs open or something).

You can increase the mouse speed in the system prefs, and there are also other programs that can affect it as I mentioned above.

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2006, 11:16 PM

I wonder if that typing lag is a universal issue with Apple keyboards. I bought a PPC mini a while back and whenever I typed I experienced lag as well. Not enough to make it unusable, just enough to get on your nerves a bit.

Doniel, I used to be a faithful fan of XP and also found it VERY annoying the way mice behaved in OS X. I think, if you give it a week or two, you'll get used to it. But also, the settings in the mouse pane can help a bit. Even though they're primitive at best.
 Certified AppleCare Technician

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2006, 03:13 PM

What type of logitech mouse are you using? I had an MX 510 that just recently died on me yesterday, I've since removed all the logitech driver software for that mouse and installed USB overdrive for my new logitech G5 mouse (which isn't totally working correctly yet). However, I will tell you that with both mice, I somehow had the acceleration that you are talking about turned off because it was anoying as all hell. I'm going to play around in my system prefrences a bit and hopefully I'll have more for you later. Bottom line, it can be done (my mice act exactly as they would under XP tracking wise).

Edit: For the life of me I can't figure out how the heck I got this to work. This was my only anoyance with OSX when I origionally purchased my powerbook (my first mac). It continues to anoy the heck out of me every time I use a mac at a computer lab on campus. I like the more linear motion of windows when it comes to tracking, now if I could only figure out how I did it.
( Last edited by wuzup101; Jun 20, 2006 at 03:24 PM. )
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2006, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by wuzup101
What type of logitech mouse are you using? I had an MX 510 that just recently died on me yesterday, I've since removed all the logitech driver software for that mouse and installed USB overdrive for my new logitech G5 mouse (which isn't totally working correctly yet). However, I will tell you that with both mice, I somehow had the acceleration that you are talking about turned off because it was anoying as all hell. I'm going to play around in my system prefrences a bit and hopefully I'll have more for you later. Bottom line, it can be done (my mice act exactly as they would under XP tracking wise).

Edit: For the life of me I can't figure out how the heck I got this to work. This was my only anoyance with OSX when I origionally purchased my powerbook (my first mac). It continues to anoy the heck out of me every time I use a mac at a computer lab on campus. I like the more linear motion of windows when it comes to tracking, now if I could only figure out how I did it.
Yeah my MacBook can't keep with my typing either. I've especially noticed this in MSN Messenger (that's where all the typing happens anyway, right? ) It's really annoying at times. Don't know if this is cause of Rosetta or what.

WinsomePix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2006, 06:22 PM

See tip here for increasing mouse and trackpad speed:

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/maco...mice/index.php

Forum Links
Forum Rules