Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Clammy+Panther+Browser=Crap!

Clammy+Panther+Browser=Crap!
DmbShn41
Nov 21, 2006, 07:03 PM

Hey all,

Got a 366 Clammy, with Panther. I have a T1 connection and AirPort on my Clammy. The problem is, no matter what browser I use, I get crappy results. I've used Safari 1.3.2, IE 5, FireFox 2. Some pages load great, some don;t load at all. Like Yahoo, I get a lot of broken links, no pic files load, and essentially, only text. Thats about my luck on most newer pages. I've updated the hell out of my software, everything is newest, or newer. Any possible solutions? Firmware? Thanks for the help.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2006, 07:10 PM

i have no idea. no problems with mine. have you always had these problems?
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Ice33
Nov 21, 2006, 08:21 PM

How much RAM?

mBurns
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2006, 11:07 PM

That sounds strange. On my 366 Key Lime, I've never had problems with browsers.

I would also ask:

1) How much ram do you have?
2) Are you sure there is no corrupt software?

I'd run disk utility to try to iron out the problem.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 Ghz CD | 100 Gb HD | 2 Gb RAM | 10.4
iBook Clamshell | 466 Mhz | 60 Gb HD | 576 Mb RAM | 10.4

kick52
Baninated
Nov 22, 2006, 09:21 AM

every browser sucks on my g4..

you should try a g3 optimized build of camino

rjt1000
Senior User
Nov 22, 2006, 06:06 PM

You probably need more RAM, but if that doesnt do it, this link has G3 optimized versions of Firefox.

ChasingApple
Senior User
Nov 22, 2006, 07:00 PM

All works on mine fine.
iMac G4 / Macbook

DmbShn41  (op)
Nov 23, 2006, 03:35 PM

Hey all,

I've got the standard 128 MB of RAM. Used to be a time when I could load eBay. Now, It's barely ledgible. I never really had issues with this computer since I've had it, up until I upgraded to Panther, from Jaguar. No I take that back, when I went to Panther off the disc, which I think was 10.3.1. After that I upgraded fully to 10.3.9, upgraded iTunes and QuickTime to the newest of what was available. Since then I 've had issues. I'll run DiskUtility when I get a chance and see what happens. If nothing works, I'll backup to my X-HD and reload 10.3 from the disc and see where that gets me. Thanks for the help. Maybe I'll try those links before hand. Thansk again.

mBurns
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2006, 04:16 PM

Hi. I have 128 Mb of RAM in my 366 Key Lime. I've NEVER had the problems you are describing. I thought I might add, I run the machine in OS 9.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 Ghz CD | 100 Gb HD | 2 Gb RAM | 10.4
iBook Clamshell | 466 Mhz | 60 Gb HD | 576 Mb RAM | 10.4

kick52
Baninated
Nov 23, 2006, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by DmbShn41 View Post
Hey all,

I've got the standard 128 MB of RAM. Used to be a time when I could load eBay. Now, It's barely ledgible. I never really had issues with this computer since I've had it, up until I upgraded to Panther, from Jaguar. No I take that back, when I went to Panther off the disc, which I think was 10.3.1. After that I upgraded fully to 10.3.9, upgraded iTunes and QuickTime to the newest of what was available. Since then I 've had issues. I'll run DiskUtility when I get a chance and see what happens. If nothing works, I'll backup to my X-HD and reload 10.3 from the disc and see where that gets me. Thanks for the help. Maybe I'll try those links before hand. Thansk again.
well.. any browser in os x with that much ram will be crap...

though you should try g3 optimized camino

ChasingApple
Senior User
Nov 23, 2006, 10:10 PM

I'm looking at ebay right now using Safari on my clamshell using OS X Panther. I have updated to 10.3.9 and the page is fine. Can you capture a screenshot for us?
iMac G4 / Macbook

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2006, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by ChasingApple View Post
I'm looking at ebay right now using Safari on my clamshell using OS X Panther. I have updated to 10.3.9 and the page is fine. Can you capture a screenshot for us?
you looking for a pismo on ebay? c'mon now, we can't wait forever.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

ChasingApple
Senior User
Nov 24, 2006, 02:21 AM

Nah, after extensivally using my Alienware for the last few months I have decided I am not buying any more Macs for awhile. I am not happy with Apples latest designs and getting an older computer that cannot do many of the modern things these days seems like a waste of money to me right now. I am happy with my little clamshell and it will be my only "old school" mac from here out. I might get myself a smaller laptop in the future like a Thinkpad or something.

I'm just tired of apples limitations on hardware, forcing its customers to buy adapters like DVI just to a digital monitor, limiting upgrades on all its computers, forcing hardware upgrades to use new applications even though older macs could run the software. Apple is too limiting for me.

Just as a case in point, my Alienware m5550 laptop had a Core 2 Duo, Radeon x1400 256MB videocard, and 15.4" screen with a DVD burner (superdrive) at a price lower then the original Macbook that was the current Macbook when I bought my Alienware. I can upgrade the CPU, GPU, memory, hard drive, and wireless options internally, I can add internal bluetooth, I have a PC slot, DVI port, S-Video port, More USB ports, Firewire, and in home service (if something breaks they come to my house and fix it). All in all it is superior in every way hardware wise to a Macbook, and it cost less. I am not concerned about those out there that think "it doesn't have OS X so it is not a good computer" crap either, Windows XP is fantastic, has a bajillion apps out there, and anyone with half a brain can stop spyware and viruses from ever effecting the OS. It games like a mother, is faster then hell, and is more supported on a global scale. No more Mac fanboy crap for me, I own both, use both, and love both, but right now a PC is a better deal and Apple has become nothing more then another PC maker with a different OS. No longer are they the PowerPC "think different" company, they are a PC maker now, and truthfully the Intel Macs have been shotty in workmanship, flakey with design, and all in all buggy.

Sorry to rant and of course none of this was directed at gooser or anyone else here, but Apple has fallen a few notches in my eyes and I need to vent.

Long live the clamshell for design alone though!
iMac G4 / Macbook

iREZ
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2006, 02:52 AM

the alienware sells for about 1500 dollars...how does this compare with the original macbook prices? the macbook has most of the internals your alienware has except for a proper gpu and the hard drive and ram is upgradeable at time of purchase and bluetooth is built in. :sniff sniff: do i smell a troll? please dont compare a 7+year old machine to the machine you just purchased. to say that a pc is a better buy now vs before is ludicrous seeing how apple is probably the most competitive with its pc counterparts now more than ever. use whatever machine you feel fit for your use, but dont even think for a second that youve made any argument that holds an ounce of water.

as for service...apple will send a box to your front door in which you could send your machine to them and get it back in a reasonable amount of time (usually a couple days).
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

ChasingApple
Senior User
Nov 24, 2006, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by iREZ View Post
the alienware sells for about 1500 dollars...how does this compare with the original macbook prices? the macbook has most of the internals your alienware has except for a proper gpu and the hard drive and ram is upgradeable at time of purchase and bluetooth is built in. :sniff sniff: do i smell a troll? please dont compare a 7+year old machine to the machine you just purchased. to say that a pc is a better buy now vs before is ludicrous seeing how apple is probably the most competitive with its pc counterparts now more than ever. use whatever machine you feel fit for your use, but dont even think for a second that youve made any argument that holds an ounce of water.

as for service...apple will send a box to your front door in which you could send your machine to them and get it back in a reasonable amount of time (usually a couple days).
You are very confused and need to re-read my post. In no way do I compare a clamshell ibook or a Pismo Powerbook to my Alienware. How you read that is beyond me. My Alienware had all those features for $999, $1082 with the DVD burner upgrade and shipping, a much better deal then the crap shoot defective prone Macbook at the time. Apple service is laughable, sure they send you a nice little box tailor made for your mac, but that's only after Apple admits you have a problem, and even then the turn around time sucks. I like having a guy come to my house and perform the repair right then and there, no shipping, no waiting, done deal. Alienware also has what I call a "real tech" that knows what they are talking about, not a guy reading a script and searching through them trying to find something that matches what you are saying. I've been there done that with Apple support and it aint all that.

I am no troll, as most here will agree. If anything I am one of the few that will still recommend buying a Clamshell or Pismo Powerbook! I am also a person that takes the time to research through trial and error which Apple OS would work best with said older Mac. Not just read someone else's stuff and repeat it, nope... I will actually format my system and test it all myself and report my finding for others that may have questions, if you bothered reading in this forum section you would know that. Troll? Me? Hardly.

Now put it back in your pants and get a clue, I vented. I said I was venting and in no way was I directing it any anyone. I even mentioned that. Now re-read my post, take a chill pill, remove the fanboy stick from your ass, and relax. Go re-read my post before you make a bigger scene here.
iMac G4 / Macbook

DmbShn41  (op)
Nov 27, 2006, 06:44 PM

You got served! I bought a 512 stick a few weeks ago, but it didn't work. Sent it back and MemoryToGo told me it was a generic stick, and that Clammys only take premium memory. So after they reamed me for another $40, they decided to send it out today. Once I get that, I should be able to have it in by this weekend and see if that fixes my problem. I'll have to boot up OS 9 and see if I have a browser under there still. Haven;t really used it. DiskUtility found some issues, repaired them, but to no avail. What is the shortcut for screen caps? Let me know, and I will try to post it. Later gator.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2006, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ View Post
Not to thread-crap here, but ChasingApple makes a good point with the service. Dell, HP, and IBM also have spectacular warranties that cover all accidental damage (drops, spills, drop-kicks, etc) for up to four years, and you can't beat having a tech come to your office in the middle of the day to replace a faulty motherboard or busted LCD backlight so you don't have to wait to get back up and running.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

DmbShn41  (op)
Dec 6, 2006, 09:02 PM

So here's the latest. Last week, I scrapped everything on my HD and reloaded Panther. And what I did, was carefully update, and tracking every update and checking the web performance to see which update, or lack of update was causing Safari to poop out. So I got Panther to 10.3.9, Safari to 1.2 and everything else fairly new, and still had great performance, everything loaded, and sped was decent. So I decided to plunge over and update Safari to 1.3, and as soon as I did, everything died. Page loads increased, images and features disappeared. So I found Safari 1.2 on Apple and tried that, but to no avail. Two days ago, my 512mb finally came in, popped it in and instant speed. This thing is smokin now compared to my Slowshiba with a 2.2ghz intel, 512mb RAM, 60 GB HD. This is still a 366 mhz, 576mb ram, 6gb hd. So i'm still stuck and i have no other guesses. Any help from anyone would be great.

Theodour
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2006, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by DmbShn41 View Post
This is still a 366 mhz, 576mb ram, 6gb hd. So i'm still stuck and i have no other guesses. Any help from anyone would be great.
Keep trying ... I've got an original 300 blueberry iBook, 288mb ram, 20 gb hd ... the latest panther updates and it browses fine (though slowly) with Safari 1.3.2. I've also got two original Bondi iMacs with 288 and 384 mb Ram, latest panther updates, and they perform flawlessly online as well ... poor framerate with flash video, though

Incidentally, I thought clamshells couldn't tolerate 512 mb ram modules? If they do ... my clam might just be in for a memory treat this christmas!

DmbShn41  (op)
Dec 7, 2006, 08:01 PM

Theo,

Clammys will take a 512mb, at least the 366 and 466 will, not so sure on the 300. MemoryToGo.com is where I got mine, and their site shows a 512mb card for an ibook 300 clammy. I got one for my 366 for $83, but the Clammys wont take generic memory which is what the $83 card is. I had to send it back and upgrade to the premium card. for $123 it still beats compusa, staples, best buy, other places. Works great for me. As far as my issues, I cant figure out what exactly is casuing it. i have all my java updated, everything, but for some resaon, its basic java features that i'm not getting from browsing the web. firmware issue? how do I check the firmware on a clammy? ive stopped using it completely for now and have gone 100% to my iMac. i love this thing to death, but miss the clammy. its so lonely on my desk...

DmbShn41  (op)
Dec 13, 2006, 07:03 PM

So i have figured this much out. When i reload Panther, everything works. Until I start upgrading. Safari 1.1 works great under 10.3.1, but once I upgrade the Service Pack for 10.3.9, which includes Safari 1.3, and some newer Java updates, thats when I lose my capability to laod some pages like eBay, AOL, mainly Java enabled sites. Some of those sites load, but not correctly, and will only show text and broken image links. There is no way anymore for me to upgrade Panther to 10.3.9 without taking Safari 1.3 and the newer Java update. There is even a newer Java after that, 1.42 I believe, but with that, it doesn;t help at all. And now, iTunes won;t go online anymore, wont with my AirPort card. If I plug in to my router, I can go online with iTunes, but it says my password for my AOL account is bad, and wont let me authroize my computer, which in turn will not let me play all 3,287 songs, movies, or TV shows that I have DL'd form iTunes, so then I can't put them on my iPod. And Apple support just had the nerve to tell me that if I want technical support for iTunes on my Clammy, that I have to buy a new computer, cause Apple no longer provides support for the iBook Clamshell. So guess what, I am considering breaking out my Slowshiba, and upgrading it this weekend, and dusting off the shelf for the Clammy to sit there.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2006, 10:37 PM

just a thought, how much free hard drive space do you have?
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Forum Links
Forum Rules