Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 4 GB Ram in Mac Mini Core 2 Duo?

4 GB Ram in Mac Mini Core 2 Duo? (Page 2)
f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2008, 11:04 PM

A big DOH! I have a Core Duo, not a Core 2 Duo. Ignore my previous post...I'm going senile folks.

By the way, Newegg has been great about returns so far, and they're running a really good deal on mushkin 4GB (2x2GB) upgrades: $64.99 after rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146701

I can tell you that both the Kingston and mushkin RAM worked great singly in my Core Duo Mac Mini. I just wish that I could take advantage of this 2x2GB mushkin deal.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2008, 02:40 AM

Yeah, it sure sounded like you had a 2 GB RAM ceiling. Get 2x1GB for your CD Mac mini instead and you're set.

Two of these will do the trick for $38.

LEStudios
Banned
Jan 25, 2009, 12:56 PM

I sold my Mac mini Core Duo 2 thinking that Apple was going to announce a New Mac mini and they didn't. What's even worse today is my 14 Day to take the new Apple mac mini which is the same model I previous had. I had to replace the motherboard, in October. I've notice the memory is working. but Kingston is sending a replacement. Anybody got any ideas about failing memory? Or is there a lot of heat buildup in the Mac mini. I want to be sure because this time is different I got two 2TB Western Digital connected by Firewire 400 to this. Today, I'm about to buy another 4GB kit but I'm go with Crucial at Fry's it's now $36.99! I really don't want to go through this 6 months from now. What is the longevity of these upgrades what problems is anybody having or I just got a bad memory from Kingston that last 6 months before failing. It's a Value-ram KVR667D2K2SO/4GR, Kingston is going to do a exchange since they sent me Return Authorization Number. I need to see who else is affected either from upgrading the memory and or hard drive.

drmar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2009, 08:24 PM

hi guys,
Anybody tried the mac mini C2D with the KHX5300S2LLK2/2G memory from Kingston? (this memory module has lower cas latency, I think should works, but if someone has already tried it would be helpfull!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2009, 05:08 AM

To date not a single OS X benchmark has shown considerable gains from low CAS latency memory. Save yourself the hassle, get regular DDR2 SO-DIMMs and you'll be fine.

2GB Transcend $18
2GB Corsair $20 (includes shipping)
2GB Kingston $23.49
2GB Crucial $24
2GB Mushkin $25

rottwyler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2009, 07:25 PM

Hi all,
I just installed 2 - 1GB DDR2 667MHZ SQDIMM om my Mac Mini 1.66 ghz
I was thinking I would get 2 Gigs of Ram. But the
profiler is saying I now have 1GB or Memory - a lot fast then the out of the box but was expecting a bit more. Is that the
max I can get with the current Ram I purchased and installed - does this have something to do with the Intel Core Duo? Or did I install something wrong?
Thanks in advance, Steve

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2009, 09:17 AM

Mac mini RAM upgrades are described this thread.

Your Mac mini can definitely use 2 GB RAM. You must however make sure to get DDR2-SDRAM, PC2-5300, 667 MHz, 200 pins. Try installing only one stick at a time to find out which isn't working.

rlhamil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2009, 02:48 PM

QUOTE=Simon;3515351]No, look at actually used memory for tasks. Or use top if you're comfortable with the CLI. Wanna bet you won't see your apps using up 4 GB of actual RAM? [/QUOTE]

I got tired of top and Activity Monitor providing misleading information with
2x 2GiB installed. So I filed a bug, 6729379, to the effect that the system really
should only report the maximum _addressable_ RAM.

But I also looked at the code, and other things.

The following is a workaround that will cause the system to report not more
than 3GiB of RAM, although System Profiler will still see the 2 2GiB DIMMs.

$ sudo nvram boot-args="maxmem=3072"
$ sudo reboot

(maxmem is in MiB, so that's 3GiB there)

After that, it stops lying, and all is good. I'm wondering if it might not also
turn out to be more stable, but I haven't been running it like that long enough to
know yet, save that it's almost certainly not worse. Time will tell...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2009, 06:00 PM

Umm, what?

machank
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2009, 02:54 PM

Any chance that Snow Leopard will solve the 4GB->3GB problem in Core 2 Duo MacMinis?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2009, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by machank View Post
Any chance that Snow Leopard will solve the 4GB->3GB problem in Core 2 Duo MacMinis?
Zero chance. It's a chipset limitation. Nothing the OS or firmware would be able to change.

See this post for more information.

If you need 4GB in a Mac mini you'll have to buy an Early 2009 Mac mini (Penryn model).

Forum Links
Forum Rules