Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New RAM Not Recognized By iBook...

New RAM Not Recognized By iBook...
Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2002, 10:12 PM

I installed a new 512MB PC133 RAM module today and my iBook acts like the RAM isn't there...It doesn't show up in the APS or About This Computer.

Yikes! I've never had this problem before this...Any suggestions or do I have Bad RAM?

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2002, 10:36 PM

Did you buy from an online store? If so where did you buy it from? so I don't buy from there.
2.66Ghz Mac Pro 2GM Ram 160Gig HD Ati X1900XT, 24" Dell 2407WFP
13.3" Mac Book Core Duo 2GIG Ram 80Gig HD
12" PowerBook 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 60Gig HD
12" iBook 600Mhz (Late 2001) 640MB Ram 30Gig HD

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2002, 03:38 AM

You don't mention which model iBook you have. If it's not a white one, the 512Mb chip may not be recognized. I assume that, since you apparently got it installed, it's an SO-Dimm (small outline).
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Mojo  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2002, 05:07 AM

It's the 600MHZ Combo iBook. The RAM is PC 133.

Mojo  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2002, 04:01 PM

Success!

I called Coast To Coast and the tech support fellow told me that the iBook RAM tends to "unseat" itself ever so slightly when pushing it into the plastic clips. He recommended seating it at a 45 degree angle, then pushing in again at between 9 and 17 degrees. He said that Apple memory needs 15 pounds per square inch to seat properly compared to ten pounds with other hardware.

Let me tell you, there isn't much card to push when it is at around 9-17 degrees!

He said that a common symptom of the memory unseating is the Mac recognizing only 256MB with a 512MB card, meaning that only the contacts for the first memory bank are actually seated.

CTC gets calls for around 30% of the iBook memory sold, but only 2% is actually defective.

Anyway, it took four tries and heck if I could see whether there was a difference, but finally the 512MB card showed up when I restarted the computer. The card checks-out with TTP, so I guess I am Good To Go.

Forum Links
Forum Rules