Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Caprica (Spoilers/Speculation)

Caprica (Spoilers/Speculation) (Page 3)
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2010, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
The finale was ok.

Anyone else notice another BSG actor in it plus who directed it (and did a really good job)?

No, who was it?

I enjoyed the finale a great deal... Glad to see Zoe leave the lab, that was an important turning point! I'm not so sure what's going on with Amanda Graystone, her whole deal is rather weird.

It's interesting how they are setting up the origins of resurrection.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2010, 12:34 AM

I'm already really tired of Amanda. I've seen enough crying while smoking, personally.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2010, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
I'm already really tired of Amanda. I've seen enough crying while smoking, personally.

I have these sex dreams about her though...

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2010, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
No, who was it?
The "Master of arms" from BSG was the woman in charge of buying the cylons from greystone.

It was directed by:

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2010, 09:17 AM

I also thought it was quite ridiculous that the HUGE cylon robot could hop into a truck built for a human and drive it with no problems.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Thorzdad
Mar 31, 2010, 10:05 AM

Yeah, I got a laugh at the image of a Centurian driving a delivery van, too. Pretty silly stuff.
Overall, I thought the finale was pretty uninteresting. There are already far too many plot lines in-play for me to get involved in any one thread, which distracts from enjoying the whole show. I see all these plot lines whirling around and I can't help but think back to the ham-handed way they tried to tie it all up in BSG. Fool me once...

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2010, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
I also thought it was quite ridiculous that the HUGE cylon robot could hop into a truck built for a human and drive it with no problems.
Um Johnny 5 easily solved that problem by ripping out the seat so I don't see how a cylon with legs would have a problem with it

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2010, 01:16 PM

I hope we see a Johnny 5 cameo next season, that would rock! I often wonder what Johnny 5 is doing these days...

All sorts of suspension of disbelief is required for pretty much any science fiction. If you really want to pick things apart you can find all sorts of things unbelievable about any sci-fi story.

Thorzdad
Mar 31, 2010, 01:46 PM

If you really want to pick things apart you can find all sorts of things unbelievable about any sci-fi story.
True. However, both Carpica and BSG come from a genre of sci-fi that works hard to be believable. The production design works hard to create an air of probability, thanks primarily to the familiarity of the settings. Because of that, images like a 3/4-ton, 7-foot-tall robot driving a delivery van really jumps out like a shiny wart. It's more of a discontinuity than anything.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2010, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
True. However, both Carpica and BSG come from a genre of sci-fi that works hard to be believable. The production design works hard to create an air of probability, thanks primarily to the familiarity of the settings. Because of that, images like a 3/4-ton, 7-foot-tall robot driving a delivery van really jumps out like a shiny wart. It's more of a discontinuity than anything.
Actually I took more offence to the fact that they showed a closeup of the Jaguar Hood ornament on Greystones car and all the ikea furniture. Who knew they are on other planets.

Thorzdad
Mar 31, 2010, 04:25 PM

Actually I took more offence to the fact that they showed a closeup of the Jaguar Hood ornament on Greystones car and all the ikea furniture. Who knew they are on other planets.
Oh yeah...I forgot about that. And the car that Amanda saw her dead brother driving? Undisguised Mercedes. They didn't even bother to remove the hood ornament. I really thought that was pretty lazy.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2010, 05:09 PM

Oh yeah...I forgot about that. And the car that Amanda saw her dead brother driving? Undisguised Mercedes. They didn't even bother to remove the hood ornament. I really thought that was pretty lazy.
I remember on BSG when they showed cars on caprica Season 2 ep 18 I think they went out of their way to use old cars from russia so they were still cars but looked unfamiliar.

I'm finding that most people just tuning in casually would think it was on earth and caprica was a city.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2010, 05:12 PM

I often wonder what Johnny 5 is doing these days...
He's a proud father! No time to act!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2010, 05:17 PM

I remember on BSG when they showed cars on caprica Season 2 ep 18 I think they went out of their way to use old cars from russia so they were still cars but looked unfamiliar.

I'm finding that most people just tuning in casually would think it was on earth and caprica was a city.

Maybe they want Caprica to be parallel to modern day Earth to make a statement about humanity?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2010, 05:21 PM

Maybe they want Caprica to be parallel to modern day Earth to make a statement about humanity?
Have you watched BSG through to the end?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2010, 05:26 PM

Have you watched BSG through to the end?

Yes, but they didn't really specify at what point in our history Earth was discovered, and you know that the whole BSG theme was about life going around in cycles - what has happened before will happen again, and all of that.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2010, 05:32 PM

Yes, but they didn't really specify at what point in our history Earth was discovered, and you know that the whole BSG theme was about life going around in cycles - what has happened before will happen again, and all of that.
Well they did say it was about 150,000 years ago.

But yes you are correct that is what they are trying to do that is why we have things in common like handshakes, english and greek gods. The silly part is when it comes right down to the same company name, product and logo. Just lazy on someones part.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2010, 05:47 PM

Well they did say it was about 150,000 years ago.

But yes you are correct that is what they are trying to do that is why we have things in common like handshakes, english and greek gods. The silly part is when it comes right down to the same company name, product and logo. Just lazy on someones part.

Maybe, but another possibility if my theory doesn't seem plausible is that they are rebooting some of the story line a little and hoping this will go unnoticed by hardcore BSG fans, sort of like this most recent Star Trek movie. They may be more interested in appealing to new fans than old ones, and we might start to see some more parallels between Caprica and a possible future for us, as this establishes a whole other basis of story telling in a way...

Or, it could have just been an oversight or laziness like you said

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2010, 04:07 PM

Whoa:

" Michelle Forbes - Caprica - End of Line (2010) TV episode .... Colonel Sasha Patel"
Michelle Forbes (I)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2010, 04:10 PM

Ahhh... she was Admiral Kain! A little hard to recognize her, but I see her name in the credits

Did you notice this on your own?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2010, 05:40 PM

Ahhh... she was Admiral Kain! A little hard to recognize her, but I see her name in the credits

Did you notice this on your own?
Yep. She is currently playing a really nasty character on True Blood so I IMDB'd her as I am a long time fan of hers and noticed the caprica credit.

Looks like she is playing another military person and prob nothing but trouble as always. Which is just how I like her.

She is also in a movie called Kalifonia. A-typical character for her but it is a really good movie either way.

Thorzdad
Oct 28, 2010, 02:57 PM

Caprica has been cancelled.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2010, 03:01 PM

That sucks... Caprica is definitely watchable and probably better than most stuff out there, but it was definitely not as strong as BSG. On that page there is a comment in the sidebar that BSG averaged 3M viewers in its first season compared to Caprica's 1M.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2010, 10:26 PM

Stupid sci fi channel personnel are stupid.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2010, 12:25 AM

That's a load of sh*t. Was the best show on that network.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2010, 12:45 AM

I wonder whether the way that ratings are established is somewhat broken nowadays with time shifting and the fact that the episodes were available on the internet the next day?

numbers25
Banned
Oct 29, 2010, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
That's a load of sh*t. Was the best show on that network.
Indeed fu..**ng network directors!.
I loved everything about Caprica and BSG world and now that i found that they are cancelling it FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

OreoCookie
Oct 29, 2010, 04:57 AM

I'm not sorry: I tried watching it for a few episodes, but it just didn't make sense to me. I got to episode 7 or 8, I think. I found it confused, the storyline didn't appear cohesive to me. The `philosophical elements' seemed too obtrusive and blatant. If the Moore and Eick used the same method to create the storyline as in BSG, that may explain why.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 29, 2010, 05:48 AM

I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2010, 09:29 AM

Ugh. It's dead, Jim.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2010, 09:34 AM

It's with Starbuck now.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2010, 09:35 AM

When this new thing fails we'll get a prequel drama about the Lee-Starbuck-Lee's brother love triangle. Shot in the style of Glee.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2010, 10:44 AM

I've watched every episode of Caprica. I wanted to like like it. I really did. The whole terrorist cell angle was pretty intriguing. The whole corporate maneuvering angle was pretty intriguing. And then they go and mess it all up with the whiny little teenage girl angle. The one that plays Adama’s sister that got killed on the train is just godawful. Her acting is so bad it’s just painful to watch. Graystone's wife surviving her jump in the river was somewhat disappointing as well since her character was rather annoying too. The problem with Caprica IMO is that the show is just too damned slow! And by the time it gets interesting SyFy goes and puts it on hiatus and you have to wait until 2011 to see the rest of the season. But oh wait ... let's start them back up early in October. And change the night it airs at that. So those fans who've managed to remain interested have a hard time finding it. And then wonder why the ratings suck.

OAW

Thorzdad
Jan 5, 2011, 04:42 PM

So...Who watched the 5-episode finale last night?
My main takeaway is that, if they had moved the plot along as quickly through the prior season-and-a-half, as they did in those last five episodes, the show might have held an audience.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2011, 02:00 AM

I just finished the 5 episode finale... Wow!

I agree with you. I think much of Caprica was very interesting on a cerebral level, but I think what was needed was monumental events, big cliffhangers, and turning points at a faster clip than many of the episodes prior where the concepts of poly vs. monotheism were being explored, empires were being developed, etc.

Still, as flawed as the episodes prior were, this series didn't deserve its fate. It was far better than countless other TV series out there, it sucks that this was yanked.

I wonder if there will be another BSG spinoff?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 8, 2011, 06:10 AM

I wonder if there will be another BSG spinoff?
*Ahem*

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2011, 08:08 PM

I watched all 5 hours over two viewings in 2 days.

Fantastic episodes. Awesome writing and concepts.

However, it showed why it got cancelled. The plan for 5 seasons of plot was too drawn out for regular and mainstream viewers.

It seems like the last 5 minutes of the last episode was designed as if the show would not be renewed.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2011, 12:52 PM

Amazingly Caprica ended quite well IMO. Had they picked up the pace like this earlier the show may have garnered higher ratings.

OAW

Thorzdad
Jan 10, 2011, 01:01 PM

Yes, well, when you have a bazillion threads to tie-up in the space of five episodes, things tend to move along briskly. Personally, I felt the last 5-10 minutes of the final episode felt pretty thrown-together. Like "Here's all the other stuff we ran out of time to fully explain".

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 10, 2011, 03:01 PM

I thought Caprica was cancelled abruptly with no time being granted for a story wrap-up?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Ice33
Jan 10, 2011, 03:15 PM

That ending was clearly a thrown together epilogue they made when they found out that the show was axed.

I think Caprica should have been canceled just based on that cheesy opening credit sequence they had.

Thorzdad
Jan 10, 2011, 03:58 PM

Yeah, the opening titles were definitely the lamest part of the show. That was always my cue to head to the fridge and grab another Two Hearted

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 10, 2011, 08:25 PM

But is it worse than Enterprise's?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2011, 08:36 PM

Well, at least we get to see Summer Glau in the new tv show the cape.

Forum Links
Forum Rules