Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple rapidly updating data, 3D graphics in iOS 6 Maps

Apple rapidly updating data, 3D graphics in iOS 6 Maps
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 5, 2012, 02:42 PM

Apple is moving quickly to fix mistakes in the iOS 6 version of Maps, users say. Several Appleinsider readers comment that the company changed mapping data almost immediately after receiving their complaints. In one example, a person near Auckland, New Zealand says that Apple addressed a problem with a highway exit; in the UK, the company has corrected the location of the town of Uckfield.

Apple is also reportedly adding more standard and satellite-textured 3D graphics to cities. New York, Honolulu, and Los Angeles have all been given extra detail. In New York City, for instance, the Statue of Liberty is now rendered as a fully 3D object, instead of just a flat satellite image. The Brooklyn Bridge, which previous appeared as a warped satellite image, is now shown correctly. CNet points out that the Point Reyes lighthouse, incorrectly pinned in the first version, is now correctly placed. The corrections come from input from users, including Apple Store employees, who have an easy way of contacting the company to report issues built right into the app. The rapid pace of corrections suggests that users are taking to heart CEO Tim Cook's statement -- issued as part of an apology for the scale of inaccuracies -- that as more customers use the Maps, the service will improve based both on problem reports and regular usage.

PJL500
Oct 5, 2012, 04:00 PM

Finally - the Statue of Liberty in 3D. All is forgiven.

Pixelsmack
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2012, 12:14 AM

How about fixing iPad dropping WiFi for no reason during the middle of the night and only allowing LTE until the user switches wifi off then on?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2012, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Pixelsmack View Post
How about fixing iPad dropping WiFi for no reason during the middle of the night and only allowing LTE until the user switches wifi off then on?
I'm not sure the maps team would be better assigned to that bug. It might not be their area of expertise.

que_ball
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2012, 12:55 PM

All the problems I reported are still there.

Tanker10a
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2012, 06:24 AM

They could have extended the Google Maps license for one more year while declaring this Map version as a Beta use while obtaining feedbacks from it. Use the same approach as they did with the release of SIRI...
Never say die!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2012, 06:53 AM

No, they could not.

Extending the contract would have meant agreeing to Googles terms, which was the whole point of ditching them in the first place.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2012, 07:10 AM

What Spheric said. Obviously YMMV but iOS5 intentionally-crippled-by-Google Google Maps are broken and badly needed fixing.

I have said this before, but iOS 5 Google Maps:

- No vector graphics

- No turn-by-turn

- Often difficult to read text

- Route numbers often made illegible by the street lines

- On my iPhone 4s choppy and slow compared to Apple Maps on iOS6

iOS6 Apple Maps were a very necessary upgrade. One of Apple's main competitors Google was keeping a core function of iOS two years behind Android Maps and allegedly was demanding even more control in future licensing agreements. Apple had to build its own maps, and iOS6 was the time to do it even if it was a bit unfinished. It was time.

Adding a strong competitor to the Google-monopolized maps space is good for everyone, including Google users. Folks piling on Apple as if Apple is somehow harming someone by introducing Apple Maps just fail to get it.

As an actual 4s/iOS5--->4s/iOS6 user I will state unequivocally that iOS6 Apple Maps are a great improvement over the lamed Google Maps in iOS5. Seldom do I jump into a .0 upgrade of anything, but I updated to iOS6 on day 1 and consider iOS6 excellent - especially the Apple Maps!

iChick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2012, 12:26 PM

Hmmm. Hoover Dam still looks like an amusement park ride.

Forum Links
Forum Rules