Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > AOL [beta] for X available

AOL [beta] for X available
I'mDaMac
Senior User
Apr 12, 2001, 08:40 PM

Keyword beta for you AOL users.
Who'sDaMac?

RodriCO2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2001, 09:42 PM

So I have the AOL 5.0 For OS X and It seems like a Decent APP.. It launches just as fast as its Classic cousin and it seems more responsvie although it looks horrible and you would almost think its still in the Classic environment.. Well I am now happy that it has its own protected memory and it wont harm anybody else...

Its a nice app, Kudos to the Mac Beta team but they are in desperate need of a look update, AOL just looks archaic in OS X...

I have switched full time to OS X since it came out but now, I dont have to use it in classic mode... <AOL> So this is great news for me.....

------------------
Be happy Be Cool Be Different, but be yourself...
Its not the fact that life is fact, but that life itself is a fact of the unknown....

EmAn
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2001, 10:37 PM

This is horrible... how come we're stuck with 5.0 when Windoes users have had 6.0 for months? If they took the time to develop this for OS X why couldn't they do 6.0???

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Apr 13, 2001, 01:18 AM

I must agree, It's as-if they slapped the Aqua Window tops on top of the OS 9.1 and below AOL 5 UI. But I'm just glad to finally be capable of using OSX almost full-time.

I've already noted a few bugs, seemingly relating to booting to and from my OS 9.1 partition. My Global Village External 56k works under the "Hayes Compatable" modem for this Beta, but I see that sometimes if I do a restart from 9.1 my modem shows up in the AOL set-up as something else.

Only fix I could find was to shut down, and restart

Mike

jam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2001, 10:31 AM

could someone please e-mail the installer to me as I am having great difficulty downloading AOL beta for OSX from keyword beta. AOL crashes everytime I log onto keyword beta. cheers.

[email protected]

dkephart
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2001, 12:13 PM

could someone post this somewhere please?

------------------
- David Kephart
AIM: TheKephart
- David Kephart
AIM: TheKephart

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 13, 2001, 01:29 PM

Someone call those dim bulbs over at AOL and ask them to put it into the ftp://ftp.newaol.com/ like all the other installers.

Is anyone over there breathing?

(If you notice a slight, and uncharacteristic, frustration in my voice when I discuss the pinheads at AOL it's because they lost the customer they had in my extended family when they decided to block the ports for any service they didn't own. So no Timbuktu Pro, no PGPfone, no nothing. So no money. So there. AppleISP is just great, lots of POPs, and no technophobic tech support.)

------------------
Since EBCDIC
Make every post count!
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

nigeljedi
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 13, 2001, 02:51 PM

Crap! It figures that AOL would come out with a X version, but Compuserve wouldn't!
Dammit! Foiled again!

------------------

SpiffyGuyC
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2001, 04:34 PM

First, AOL will not be posting this on any public sites - they only seed their AOL client beta to registered beta members through KW: beta, contrary to what they do with AIM. Anyone posting the beta is in violation of an NDI, but then I don't know that AOL really keeps on top of those things.

Second, this is *not* intended to be AOL 5.0. Whether it is AOL 6 and will receive updated graphics later, or whether it is simply "AOL for Mac OS X" is uncertain. But basically what's going on is that they're currently doing a direct port of what works already, using as much of the same code as possible, and as a side effect "5.0" shows up in the software a few places. But this is documented as a "known issue," suggesting that 5.0 will not be the final designation.

-Spiff

Spiffy--getALife
Apr 13, 2001, 05:52 PM

For those in the UK or similarly disadvantaged
http://www.nexuspctech.com/osx.html

mattmarshall
Senior User
Apr 17, 2001, 06:43 AM

can you use this version of AOL with airport?

mattmarshall
Senior User
Apr 17, 2001, 06:48 AM

oh yeah--also, my family uses AOL on our iMac, but i refuse to install it on my machine because it pretty much turns it into an AOL machine.

is AOL for X as intrusive? will it be a "clean" install, that is easy to delete?

i just don't all of a sudden want AOL to pop up everywhere, like it does in OS 9.

oh, and i recognize AOL isn't so great, but right now i'm paying for an extra onlilne service just to use my airport base station....

madra [again!]
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2001, 07:17 AM

i accidentally trashed my AOL prefs as user madra so it wouldn't start-up. it still runs as root tho' so i copied my root user AOL prefs across to user madra's prefs folder and [surprise! surprise!] it still won't run. wot is it with X that every feckin thing has got to 'belong' so rigidly to one user that no-one else can use it?!!! now i've got to download the whole feckin thing and install it again!!!

BTW the nexus download site above lists the download as 8,53MB. the first time i d/loaded it weighed in at 9,6MB but wouldn't expand [stuffit expander did a progress bar but nothing came of it [no error message of course! this is mac os X. the figure it out for yourself OS!]] then i d/loaded it again and it weighed in at 11,6MB but did expand OK. so feck knows wot's goin on there?!

one good thing tho' X-AOL succesfully imported my settings from classic AOL without a hitch which was a pleasant [if unexpected] surprise!

------------------
the original madra - airbrushed out of history in a stalinist manner!
the original madra - airbrushed out of history in a stalinist manner!

madrasite - crap, junk and drivel

Forum Links
Forum Rules