Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > transparent background windows

transparent background windows
Steve Bosell
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2001, 05:40 PM

wouldn't it be cool if background windows were transparent instead of just the top?

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2001, 05:43 PM

Think of all the RAM, and speed it would use!

What is that with transparent things everywhere???
It's cool, but do you really think it's useful?

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: iNeusch ]

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2001, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by Steve Bosell:
<STRONG>wouldn't it be cool if background windows were transparent instead of just the top?</STRONG>

WindowShade 1.5 - Get it here

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2001, 06:22 PM

ok... it looks good

I'll try that one

Steve Bosell  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2001, 06:37 PM

I mean the background windows are automatically made transparent. For example, the active window is solid and the other windows from that application are transparent, and maybe other windows from a different open application in the background are even more transparent.

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2001, 06:42 PM

somehow a nice idea... this could look really cool, OR absolutely terrible. however, somebody should try it out. 3rd party developers anyone?
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2001, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by Steve Bosell:
<STRONG>I mean the background windows are automatically made transparent. For example, the active window is solid and the other windows from that application are transparent, and maybe other windows from a different open application in the background are even more transparent.</STRONG>
I'm sure Apple will never allow this but maybe you could by editing some files. Check http://www.MacOSXHints.com and see if they have any hints on that.

This feature would be nice but can be very confusing when you have multiple windows on. Maybe around 80-95% transparency would be great.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2001, 11:41 PM

I don't think this would be a very good feature. I like to actually be able to see what's in my open windows in the background (I ususally have a text document or an IM window open...transparency would make it harder to read). Transparency is nice and all, but there is such a thing as "too much."
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Oink
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2001, 12:05 AM

About as cool as 512p by 512p icons, drop shadowed text, flare trousers, plastic cutleries...

sadie
Senior User
Dec 19, 2001, 06:01 AM

Originally posted by Oink:
<STRONG>About as cool as 512p by 512p icons, drop shadowed text, flare trousers, plastic cutleries...</STRONG>
Now that's harsh...

It would be even cooler if the transparency was dynamic - ie, instead of just flicking dynamic, they slowly faded over a few minutes until they reached 80%. So recent windows look stronger than older ones.
All words are lies. Including these ones.

DamnDJ
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2001, 06:13 AM

Neat idea, but I think transparency should be kept minimal. I just made all my background windows transparent (Since I use WindowShade) and it's impossible to make anything out. Even having them fade out over time will still cause text-soup.

Jelle Monkmater
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: World capital of drugs and prostitution. Hmmm... SEXTC...
Dec 19, 2001, 07:12 AM

Originally posted by DamnDJ:
<STRONG>Even having them fade out over time will still cause text-soup.</STRONG>
Shouldn't that be alphabet soup?

I just downloaded WindowShade and, boy, does it come in handy! Thanks for the link, and thanks to whoever made this little app.

But yeah, the idea is cool, though with 80% transparency probably unworkable in daily usage. However, to have transparent windows in the background isn't all that crazy. After all, the top of window becomes transparent when it's in the background, so why not the contents too? As long as you don't go under 30% transparency, it should look just fine.

Anybody want to haxie the WindowShade haxie?
The one you love and the one who loves you are never the same person.

sadie
Senior User
Dec 19, 2001, 08:44 AM

Originally posted by Jelle Monkmater:
<STRONG>
But yeah, the idea is cool, though with 80% transparency probably unworkable in daily usage. However, to have transparent windows in the background isn't all that crazy. After all, the top of window becomes transparent when it's in the background, so why not the contents too? As long as you don't go under 30% transparency, it should look just fine.</STRONG>
I meant 80% visibility - just 20% transparency. I'm not that nuts.
All words are lies. Including these ones.

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2001, 09:08 AM

First of all, I think that this would be a horrible idea. I just wanted to clarify this one point:
Originally posted by iNeusch:
<STRONG>Think of all the RAM, and speed it would use!</STRONG>
Transparent windows will use no more RAM than 100% opaque windows. No matter their state, windows are (or should be) always stored in a buffer. A hundred solid windows will use as much memory as a hundred 99% transparent windows. The key difference is CPU usage. As more alpha layers have to be composited, CPU usage will skyrocket!
The server made a boo boo. (403)

Forum Links
Forum Rules