Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Base RAM config TiBookSD

Base RAM config TiBookSD
bamchum
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2002, 07:02 PM

Can someone who has received a 1Ghz/SuperDrive TiBook tell me how the 512MB is configured? Is it one 512MB chip plus an empty slot (good) or is it 2 256MB chips (bad)?

I want to upgrade mine (when it arrives) to 1GB and it would be a drag to have to buy two new 512MB chips rather than one.

bamchum

lokjah
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2002, 07:13 PM

2 256er's

bad

løk

Originally posted by bamchum:
Can someone who has received a 1Ghz/SuperDrive TiBook tell me how the 512MB is configured? Is it one 512MB chip plus an empty slot (good) or is it 2 256MB chips (bad)?

I want to upgrade mine (when it arrives) to 1GB and it would be a drag to have to buy two new 512MB chips rather than one.

bamchum
iron sharpens iron

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2002, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by bamchum:

bamchum
It's two 256MB chips according to the Apple Store.
Vandelay Industries

bamchum  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2002, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the replies even if the news is bad.

I have to say I can't understand what Apple is thinking with this. Anyone who wants to upgrade to the maximum RAM will be forced to throw out/sell the two 256MB chips in the machine.

Next question:

Is the lower slot user-installable? Or will I have to pay someone?

Final question:

Anyone want to buy two 256MB DIMMs?

bamchum

Sophie
Dec 5, 2002, 07:22 PM

You have to tell them this when you place your order if you want it in other configuration.

ngrundy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2002, 08:20 PM

there is an option in the apple store to get a single 512meg so-dimm there is a cost involved to cover the difference in price between a 256meg so-dimm and a 512meg so-dimm.

I swaped out the 256's and dropped a single 512 into my pb when i ordered it via the apple store and it cost 198 AUD for that change, but i also dropped for a 60gb hdd to a 40gb hdd which saved a 198 AUD so the change was cost neutral, go figure

hopefuly my 1ghz/combo/40gb/1x512 should arrive in the next few days!

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2002, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by ngrundy:
there is an option in the apple store to get a single 512meg so-dimm there is a cost involved to cover the difference in price between a 256meg so-dimm and a 512meg so-dimm.

I swaped out the 256's and dropped a single 512 into my pb when i ordered it via the apple store and it cost 198 AUD for that change, but i also dropped for a 60gb hdd to a 40gb hdd which saved a 198 AUD so the change was cost neutral, go figure

hopefuly my 1ghz/combo/40gb/1x512 should arrive in the next few days!
That's not an option at the US Apple Store. You can only get 2x256Mb or 2x512MB.
Vandelay Industries

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2002, 08:35 PM

You can keep 1 256 and just get a 512 to make it 768.

ngrundy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2002, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:

That's not an option at the US Apple Store. You can only get 2x256Mb or 2x512MB.
wow, that is amazinly sucky :/

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2002, 08:45 PM

bamchum originally posted:
Wouldn't the most cost effective path right now be to take advantage of the "Double Your Memory" option that lets you upgrade your order from 512MB to 1GB for $40? That is, if you are in the States and ordering from the Apple Store.

We have the "Double Your Memory" campaign on here in Japan as well, but the charge is more like $160 to go from 512 to 1-gig.

bamchum  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2002, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by issa:

Wouldn't the most cost effective path right now be to take advantage of the "Double Your Memory" option that lets you upgrade your order from 512MB to 1GB for $40? That is, if you are in the States and ordering from the Apple Store.

We have the "Double Your Memory" campaign on here in Japan as well, but the charge is more like $160 to go from 512 to 1-gig.
That might be good except that the deal I got elsewhere was significantly better: US$2,865 shipped UPS 2-day with no sales tax. Even if I have to throw out the two 256MB chips in the machine and spend $180 on 1GB of RAM, it's still a better deal than the $3,033 plus 5% sales tax that I'd get from the Apple Store. Also, they had the machine in stock and shipped right away.

bamchum

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2002, 09:20 PM

So, where did you get a 1 GHz TiBook SD for $2,865??

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2002, 09:24 PM

bamchum,
Sounds like you got a great deal. In light of these details, you might want to consider CheesePuff's suggestion of simply swapping out one of the modules in favor of a 512MB upgrade to a total of 768MB. That's ample memory to make Jaguar purr.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 5, 2002, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
So, where did you get a 1 GHz TiBook SD for $2,865??
ClubMac ran a special price of this over the weekend.
It's expired now and the price is $2899.

I will say, however, that if you shop around, you can get this price or an even better combination of price and bundle. I'm exceedingly pleased with the price/bundle I got today with a little negotiating. Doing your homework pays off....

bamchum  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2002, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by issa:
bamchum,
Sounds like you got a great deal. In light of these details, you might want to consider CheesePuff's suggestion of simply swapping out one of the modules in favor of a 512MB upgrade to a total of 768MB. That's ample memory to make Jaguar purr.
I think that's what I will do. Anyone know what other machines use the same DIMMs as the PB G4? I may be able to give one to a friend.

And, yes, the deal was at ClubMac this weekend. I was told that the machine wouldn't ship until Dec. 12, but it ended up going out the day after I ordered it and they upgraded it from ground shipping to UPS 2-day.

Forum Links
Forum Rules