Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Insane Wireless Network/Internet Sharing Problem!

Insane Wireless Network/Internet Sharing Problem!
Kleekoh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2002, 03:48 AM

I am the victim of an insanely annoying and troublesome problem with my internet setup, and I have come to the point where I do not think my own intelligence will be able to crack this one; therefore, I ask for your help.

I have a Linksys wireless router. There are two PC's hardwired to it, and my eMac is connected wirelessly. What I want to accomplish is having my Nintendo GameCube hooked up online using the eMac to 'continue on' the internet and share it with the GameCube using the eMac's built in ethernet port; however, this is not my problem, as I have already achieved this many times.

There is a ethernet cable running out of my eMac into a standard Linksys 4 port router, and then into the GameCube. I have successfully connected it to the net many times, but the consistancy is horrible.

My problem is, the GameCube will only connect now and then like I described, not every time I go to play. I have fiddled with the setting of the wireless router, the eMac, the standard router, and the GameCube, and now and then it will connect. But when I go back to play another day using the same method of settings etc. that I used previously it will not connect!

So I go back and do resets of everything, fiddle with more settings etc., but still it seems to only connect completely randomly.

Can anyone point out my problem, so I can have flawless connectivity of the GameCube!? I beg thee and will be eternally greatful!

Kleekoh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2002, 03:54 AM

Also, when I hardwire the GameCube to the wireless router, it connects everytime flawlessly.

My settings are as follows:

eMac:

IP: 192.168.1.103
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

GameCube:

IP: 192.168.1.106
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Both Routers Have Gateway Set as: 192.168.1.1
( Last edited by Kleekoh; Dec 23, 2002 at 04:38 AM. )

ctj
Dec 23, 2002, 04:43 AM

Ok, it's late here, so maybe it's me, but I'm not exactly following what the problem is....

It sounds like you have some kind of broadband modem hooked up to your Linksys wireless router, and everything else is connected to that somehow, right? If that's the case, then you don't need to share your Internet connection from your eMac, 'cuz that's doing the same thing your Linksys router is doing (handing out DHCP addresses).

So, disconnect the ethernet cord from the eMac. Change its Network settings to use TCP/IP from Airport. Change its Sharing settings to no longer share the Internet connection. Hardwire your Gamecube up to the router (set to DHCP -- I think that's the default). You should be golden.

Kleekoh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2002, 04:51 AM

I cant hardwire the GameCube directly into the Wireless router because the GameCube is in the same room as the eMac, and both have no way of reaching the Wireless router via a ethernet cable. That is why I have the eMac hooked up to the web wirelessly, and am trying to get the GameCube to be hooked up to the net in the same room using web sharing in 10.2 on my eMac.

Basically, if my eMac is configured manually using the settings I mentioned earlier to the Linksys wireless router, and I turn on web sharing in OS X, what do the settings on the GameCube need to be, and can I just plug the GameCube straight into the eMac using a normal ethernet cable or do I need to use my extra Linksys hub?
( Last edited by Kleekoh; Dec 23, 2002 at 04:56 AM. )

ctj
Dec 23, 2002, 05:16 AM

OK, I see what you're talking about. I think there are a couple of ways to go about this:

You could get one of those Linksys wireless ethernet transceivers (I think the model number is WET something or another). That's an extra $100 or so, but the upside is that it creates a wireless ethernet "port" essentially, and you can always repurpose it for other things (besides your GameCube). It's an elegant solution, but it's pricey.

So, back to what you've got now... I think your current setup is close. I'm pretty sure you need a cross-over cord to conncect your eMac and your GameCube together. (I don't have this in front of me to test, but that's my guess. I know the later Macs have an auto-sensing port that can tell what kind of cord it's got, but somehow I think you'd still want a cross-over cord.)

Once you've got them connected, you'll want to go to the Sharing control panel in OSX and look at the "Internet" tab. (You said "web sharing" in your earlier post. That's not what you need.) In there, it'll have a button to start Internet sharing. Turn it on. (You need to make sure you have Airport and Built-in Ethernet activated in your Network control panel, FYI.)

Now, the only problem I see with this is that the Internet Sharing feature of OSX *may* use DHCP and NAT, and your Linksys box is probably doing the same thing. this would mean that your GameCube has been NATted twice, and that's not a good thing. It means that the only things that could talk to it are things on its own network level (i.e., anything else your eMac was handing out addresses to, like if you had a hub connected to the ethernet out of your eMac and had things connected to it) and the NAT issuing agent (in this case, your eMac). It would be impossible for your GameCube to talk to a higher level (like the things connected on the Linksys router).

But, I could be wrong. At any rate, try it out and see if it works.

(Another alternative is to go buy a spool of CAT-5 cord and roll your own network connections. It's pretty cheap stuff.)

Kleekoh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2002, 05:44 AM

I tried hooking up my dads PC running Win 2000 to my eMac to test the internet sharing, and everything works except, there is about a 20 second delay before the PC starts to load a webpage, etc. when you tell it to... this could be the reason the GameCube has been just timing out, and appeared to not be connecting...

Any suggestions on how to kill this delay?

Forum Links
Forum Rules