Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > .ogm movie files with subtitles?

.ogm movie files with subtitles?
I'mDaMac
Senior User
Apr 12, 2003, 11:23 PM

I downloaded a divx movie with the extension .ogm. The file seems to play fine with VLC but there are also subtitle files (vobsub) in .rar archives. It's a foreign film so I can't understand it unless I view the subtitles. I tried loading the subtitles (as both a .rar archive and the uncompressed file) with the open dialog without any luck

Does anyone know how to watch these files in OS X? If VLC can't do it are there alternative video players that can?
Who'sDaMac?

VEGAN
Senior User
Apr 13, 2003, 06:24 AM

Originally posted by I'mDaMac:
I downloaded a divx movie with the extension .ogm. The file seems to play fine with VLC but there are also subtitle files (vobsub) in .rar archives. It's a foreign film so I can't understand it unless I view the subtitles. I tried loading the subtitles (as both a .rar archive and the uncompressed file) with the open dialog without any luck

Does anyone know how to watch these files in OS X? If VLC can't do it are there alternative video players that can?
I've been very successful with MPlayer when using sub files!
[I mainly ise `mplayer' the CL version, but I'm sure the GUI version has a similar option.]

VEGAN
Senior User
Apr 13, 2003, 06:28 AM

I checked in VLC. It works too! Instead of using "Open File" use "Open Network" then click on the "File" tab.

The rest should be selfexplanatory.

I'mDaMac  (op)
Senior User
Apr 13, 2003, 04:00 PM

Yeah, I've tried over and over but still can't get it to work. Damn PC files I used the "Open" command under the File menu and it lets me pick a subtitles file but there are none when I play the movie. My problem probably lies in the file format of the subtitles. They are in a .rar archive now (I've also tried the uncompressed version) and the info file that came with the movie said that the file is in vobsub format.
Who'sDaMac?

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2003, 10:46 AM

Try using mplayer. and they need to be un-rared.

-Owl

I'mDaMac  (op)
Senior User
Apr 16, 2003, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
Try using mplayer. and they need to be un-rared.

-Owl
I tried using MPlayer without any luck. It doesn't even recognize the OGM file until I change the extension to AVI then it plays fine. Still no subtitles either
Who'sDaMac?

VEGAN
Senior User
Apr 17, 2003, 02:53 AM

Originally posted by I'mDaMac:
I tried using MPlayer without any luck. It doesn't even recognize the OGM file until I change the extension to AVI then it plays fine. Still no subtitles either
In what format are the subtitles?
As I've told, my subs work perfect for me

Forum Links
Forum Rules