Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Live at 180mph!

Live at 180mph!
bamchum
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2004, 03:43 AM

I'm in the Eurostar high-speed train in northern France. We're traveling close to 180mph. I'm connected to the internet via bluetooth and GPRS.

How cool is that? WiFi eat your heart out! And with 3G, the speeds will come close to DSL.

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2004, 04:06 AM

Even though I'm a jaded technogeek I still find things like this incredibly interesting and completely cool. You need to verify something like the train scene from the end of Mission: Impossible!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2004, 08:22 AM

Yes, very, very cool.

I just hope prices will drop soon - GPRS is FAR too expensive once you start roaming.

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2004, 06:27 PM

Here we've doubly screwed with GPRS. AT&T has the best GPRS coverage of any of the GSM carriers and was even rolling out EDGE in several markets. T-Mobile has far worse coverage but much better data plans. Cingular's rates aren't any better than AT&T's. I'd love to be able to hop online anywhere with my laptop and cell phone. Unfortunately that isn't possible without sacrificing a lot of money or decent coverage.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 4, 2004, 11:55 PM

Doesn't cingular now own AT&T? I have AT&T and a motorola v600. I can't wait to get my 15" PB so I can use them together!

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2004, 01:21 AM

Cingular indeed owns AT&T. If you want wireless internet access it is going to cost you $80 a month for unlimited access. The cheaper data plans have ridiculously low limits on data transfer and charge horrendous per kilobyte rates.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2004, 05:33 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Yes, very, very cool.

I just hope prices will drop soon - GPRS is FAR too expensive once you start roaming.
In the UK it's expensive even of you aren't roaming

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2004, 12:47 AM

I can't wait until I can afford $80 a month for unlimited dialup... I would definitely do that during the school year if I could manage to hold a decent 20hr a week part time job. To me it would be worth it. However, since I can't... I wont!

Forum Links
Forum Rules