Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > External DVD-RW support?

External DVD-RW support?
wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2004, 02:41 AM

I purchased an external enclosure for my sony DVD+/-RW recently so that I could ditch my PC desktop all together and just take my powerbook (which has a combo drive) to school. Anyway, I got the enclosure tonight and installed my drive and proceeded to watch a movie whith it hooked up via my firewire 400 port (enclosure is usb2.0/firewire 400). Anyway, I had some stuff I wanted to burn to a DVD so I went into toast titanium as usual and dragged the stuff over as usual again... and everything seemed fine. Toast started the lead in and I thuoght all was well. Then when it started burning the files it came up with an error saying something to the effect of "the connection is not stable." I ejected the disk and it indeed did make it into a coaster (the leadin was very visible). Anyway, I resteated the firewire cables and figured I was good to go. I tried it again and the same thing happened. I then went into system profiler and looked at my firewire drive and it regonized the drive as a DVD-RW and had the correct model number an all... but it said burning was not supported? WTF, I thought OSX was supposed to pick this thing up and support it right off the bat?

I then tried to do the same thing with it connected via usb2.0 and the system profiler again said burning is not supported.

Okay so I want to know what gives. Did I just waste my hard earned money on something that's not going to work with my new Powerbook. I hope this is just an oversight and I need to install a small file or something. I've had the drive since xmas and it's definitely hooked up right and is a perfectly working drive which has burnt countless DVDs. So what am I doing wrong here?
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

wuzup101  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2004, 04:02 AM

Okay well after doing some google searching on the subject I found a site with some hacked drivers via PatchBurn2 (beta 1). I can atleast burn in firewire mode now apparently. I made quite a few coasters at first, but now I think I got it working correctly... so no need to reply for now
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Leo the 3rd
Aug 26, 2004, 09:58 AM

Yeah, a helpful site for using external burners is www.xlr8yourmac.com. I highly recommend the Pioneer DVD burners in enclosures because they tend to have support out the box for Apple iApps (except iDVD, but there's a workaround for that). Glad Patchburn solved your problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules