Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > just got it New 12 inch powerbook!

just got it New 12 inch powerbook!
Komisar
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 02:05 PM

Tottally maxed out it is a great computer any suggestions on taking care of it btw its a 60 gig harddrive i would have to order it from the apple store.com if i wanted the 80 1.256 ram superdrive and the woorks!

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2004, 03:54 PM

Yeah, reinstall the OS before you start playing with it. People have mentioned that the system from a clean install runs much more smoothly. Run the battery all the way down, till it goes to its final sleep and then charge back to 100% to get your battery calibrated (this should be done at least once a month to keep your battery meter accurate). Also download Onyx and make sure to run your cron scripts at least once a week, and don't forget to verify and repair permissions everytime you download software. Also if your interested in upping your ram, theres a thread in this forum where outpost.com is selling a one gig RAM stick for 149 bucks (very good deal). Have fun with your machine!
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 05:37 PM

Why would you reinstall the OS if the computer is new?

Would you wipe the drive and pop in the the Install CD 1 and reinstall the OS and the other programs too?
iamwhor3hay

eatinwokout
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2004, 05:53 PM

yeah... pop the osx disks in and do a clean install. you can get rid of apps that you won't use freeing up hd space.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2004, 09:17 PM

Just trust us on this one. It seems pretty useless I know, but give it a whirl and you'll see a slight difference.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Komisar  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 10:11 PM

thanks guy i'll do it.... man this compuer runs like a dream!

Forum Links
Forum Rules