Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > "Old" vs. "New" MacBook?

"Old" vs. "New" MacBook?
Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2006, 06:33 PM

I have the opportunity to replace my trusty but aging G4 iBook with a previous-generation MacBook for $829/$859 depending on the optical drive. Besides the obvious speed differences that don't matter much to me, is there anything else I should consider when comparing the old and new models? Are there any differences other than the processor upgrade?

On a related note, I need to ascertain how much my G4 iBook is worth. It has the 1.2GHz processor, maxed-out RAM and a brand-new harddrive. It has been lightly used (only one trip to Europe) and the keyboard and exterior have no marks or scratches. Any ideas what I can get for it or places I can look to compare used prices?

amru
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2006, 06:49 PM

differences other than processor upgrade are, 1gb ram stock, larger HDDs, & a dual-layer superdrive in the 2.0 models.. and maybe 802.11n wireless? but im not to sure about that one.

hope that helped.

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2006, 03:59 AM

The original MacBook models have more issues with heatsinks and shorting wires. Nothing dangerous, but if your MacBook happens to be one of them, you'll experience alot of random shut downs. This, to the best of my knowledge, has been fixed with the new models.

The chance you'll experience a problem like this is rare, but be sure to find out if the MacBook you're buying has had any history of random shut downs. It may be worth it to hold out on upgrading, if that is the case.
 Certified AppleCare Technician

acoustix
Nov 21, 2006, 08:54 AM

Yes, either get the latest Core2Duo MacBook or a later than build week 35 original MacBook. The build week is the fourth and fifth digits of the MacBook's serial number. You could be alright with an earlier one, but why chance it?
MacBook 2.0/60GB/2.0GB
iBook 1.42/60GB/1.0GB
iBook 300/6GB/320MB

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2006, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by acoustix View Post
later than build week 35
Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't sure when they fixed the issue.
 Certified AppleCare Technician

Mojo  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2006, 10:00 PM

Thanks for the responses; after I posted this topic I stumbled upon a similar thread that was also helpful.

I've decided to wait and get one of the new models sometime next year. I think that the improvements are worthwhile, particularly the apparent reduction of heat generated by the CPU.

I have to admit that I was beguiled by the nearly $950 discount applied to the previous-generation entry-level MacBook Pro at my university bookstore. I'll just wait until new models are announced and Leopard and iLife '07 are part of the package, which would be a savings of around $200 on top of the educational/discontinued model discount. My G4 iBook and G5 iMac will ably serve my needs until then.

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2006, 09:52 AM

If you can get the old one new for 800 bucks I would to it. That is an awesome deal. I have the Core Duo and it has had tons of issues. I had to get three before I finally found a reliable one. My previous ones had Power Managment Unit issues so it wouldnt turn on, HD issues so it wouldnt save after a restart and another HD issue. Finally this one I have is awesome except for the fact that it used to randomlly shut off but they seem to have fixed that issue and that the trackpad and wristpads are turning brown but that is covered under the warranty.

Mojo  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2006, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by frankthetank966 View Post
If you can get the old one new for 800 bucks I would to it. That is an awesome deal. I have the Core Duo and it has had tons of issues.
That isn't much of a recommendation...

xsphat
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2006, 06:33 AM

My week 36 build is a great computer and so far I have yet to have any of the above issues.

cornellra
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2006, 03:13 AM

i would agree with going for a wk35 or later macbook. the canadian store has some good pricing on refurb macbooks right now.

I have a wk 43 ( i believe it is the last wk available for the original MB , wk 44 is the C2D MB)
and it works well. Only issue is heat but i believe that will be an issue regardless. It actually had good temperature ratings until I installed the EFI Update 1.0 , stay away from it unless you have issues that require this to be installed.

Dorkington
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2006, 04:41 PM

I have a Core Duo with no issues, outside of Apple messing up 10.4.8

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2006, 09:41 AM

Is the Core 2 Duo exceptionally better than the Core Duo or is it not that noticeable of an improvement if youare just using word, safari adium and itunes? Anyways get the Core Duo for 800 and buy APPLECARE!!! It seems as if you get more respect and better service with it...

Forum Links
Forum Rules