Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Are you ever 'on top' of life?

Are you ever 'on top' of life?
centerchannel68
Baninated
Mar 15, 2007, 11:42 AM

It seems to me that I'm always struggling to keep things together.... doing homework the night before it's due, trying to stretch out my weekends to get things done I need to get done, while still maintaining a social life, while still getting a decent night's sleep, while still doing family obligations, etc. Right now I feel stretched pretty thin, I have so many things going on. My grandma is getting nutty, so I have to clean out her entire old condo, and take things to goodwill, and ebay some of my stuff becuase i have things I don't use anymore and do homework and find time to exercise and try to get home for dinner and do dishes and do laundry which is always piling up and walk the dog and work on cars and hang out with friends, it just seems liek there are always these big looming things you need to get done, and I never feel like I'm ever going to 'get over the hump'.

And yes, I realize that was a massive run on sentence, but it's how I feel right now. Is life just one big perpertual never-ending task list? Or do you ever feel like you got a lot of **** done and can have some free time? I haven't had a free weekend in....****.... months.. maybe like last August or so.

- Rob

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2007, 11:50 AM

I obviously don't know about your specific situation, but I find it's helpful to keep a detailed diary (or something of the sort) of the things you do. For many people — including myself — who think there isn't enough time, it's more a matter of spending the wrong time on the the wrong things. When I manage to get that right, I find I have a lot more free time than I think.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2007, 11:53 AM

Maybe posting less on here will help you "get on top"?
Anyway, I think the key is to prioritize. I guess not everyone has very good management skills to get things done and have time to spare to do whatever. I think it's important to actually take some time off, step back and do something that's not on your "list", because that list is probably never going to end. Kinda like your seemingly endless sentence! So what if something doesn't get done, it's not going to be the end of the world.

It's always good to stop, relax and philosophize a little. I'm tempted to say "meditate" also. Then go back to your tasks refocused. That usually helps.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2007, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Macfreak7 View Post
Maybe posting less on here will help you "get on top"?
That didn't take long.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2007, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
it just seems liek there are always these big looming things you need to get done

And yes, I realize that was a massive run on sentence, but it's how I feel right now.
I don't mind your spelling mistakes or your run on sentences but you seem compelled to call out others - so people in glass houses...

Anyways back to the topic at hand. Life can quickly get out of hand, and it doesn't get easier as you get older. More responsibilities, longer hours at work, more time needed to spend with family etc. The trick I found is the word no. I don't mean to sound sarcastic, just that sometimes you have to say no.

If you don't you'll go crazy. Life is too short to be scrambling around 18 hours a day. Sometimes you just need to pull back.
Michael

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2007, 12:29 PM

Life is one long game of whack-a-mole.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 15, 2007, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
Life is one long game of whack-a-mole.
That's pretty much how I feel about it. And once my bank account gets up x high, then something retarded happens, like a car needs a master cylinder installed, I need tires, or something else that knocks it back a bunch. Course... right now I don't really have a full time job, so that's kinda expected since we're basically living of Kristin's salary.

I guess what I'm getting at is it never seems like I have enough time to do things I want to do, instead I'm spending a lot of time running to family events, doing chores, etc.

And suprisingly, I don't spend too much time on here. I just post while I'm checking my email/craigslist/autoblog which I do a few times a day sometimes, othertimes no times a day.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2007, 01:56 PM

I often have 1 too many things to do. Know what I do about it? Don't do one of those things. That doesn't mean give it up forever, you can rotate which one you don't do.

Some months I don't do dishes. Some months I don't exercise. Some months I don't post on MacNN. Then I come back and make up for those things the next month. It's amazing how much faster it is to do 2 servings of laundry at once than to do them each separately on different days. And that goes for a lot of things (not so much exercise, but it's extra true for MacNN). It even works for family affairs (events more so than when they want free labor from you).

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2007, 02:00 PM

Adulthood sucks. It gets worse as you get older.

I did not appreciate the luxury of free time in my youth. Now with a wife and daughter + new home + day job + business...

One fix is to not sleep as much, I do 5-6 hours tops..then take a vacation every 6-8 months and completely unplug. I am due for another camping trip here, alone, by myself, with absolutely no interaction with anyone. The one I went on this past September was one of the most memorable events in my life next to the birth of my daughter. IMHO you have to be a little selfish and take some me time every now and then..
Joe

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2007, 02:02 PM

Let me start off with saying that I completely understand where you're coming from.
However, the fact that you said you do not have a full time job, it seems like if you ever want to "get over that hump" and do something with your life, you have to learn how to organize the non-work part of your life before you can even consider getting a job.
If you feel overwhelmed without working, just imagine what it would be like then.

Whenever I feel like I have too much to do, I sit down, make a list of all the feasbile things to do that day, and then all of the stuff that needs to be done in the future, but no huge time constraint (say, clean out the gutters). Everyday, you do all of the stuff that must be done that day, plus at least one item off of the "other" list. Then you're gaining ground in the boring tasks that never seem to get done (cleaining up, organizing, painting garage, etc).

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2007, 02:06 PM

Lists are for:
Girls
Losers
Pussies
The Weak

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 15, 2007, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Let me start off with saying that I completely understand where you're coming from.
However, the fact that you said you do not have a full time job, it seems like if you ever want to "get over that hump" and do something with your life, you have to learn how to organize the non-work part of your life before you can even consider getting a job.
If you feel overwhelmed without working, just imagine what it would be like then.
I'm going to school full time dude. I have classes/work from 8-5 everyday, and loads of homework. Somedays i don't even get home til about midnight.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2007, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Lists are for:
Girls
Losers
Pussies
The Weak
You forgot the gays.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2007, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
I'm going to school full time dude. I have classes/work from 8-5 everyday, and loads of homework. Somedays i don't even get home til about midnight.
Right, I wasn't even thinking. Well, adderall helps. [that's a joke unless you're prescribed]

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2007, 02:25 PM

You forgot the gays.
Good call. In the meantime, we'll split them up under "Girls" and "Pussies"

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2007, 02:29 PM

Hey, Rob: Wait until you have children.

But I feel your pain. It's true, it never stops.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2007, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Good call. In the meantime, we'll split them up under "Girls" and "Pussies"

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2007, 02:34 PM

Stay single. That's my best advice to you.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2007, 02:35 PM

You forgot the gays.
Pfffft. Gays don't need lists. We're often care free and have tons of spare time.

Hermit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2007, 02:39 PM

Not to contradict anybody but my life has gotten alot easier as I've gotten older.

One word, man: SIMPLIFY.

Take a look at anything you're giving your time and energy to-- jobs, relationships,hobbies, etc.--and ask yourself, "Is what I'm getting out of this worth what I'm putting into it"?
and if not, why am I here?(the usual answer for me is habit.

Forum Links
Forum Rules