Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Audio Question: Bang and Olufsen gear...

Audio Question: Bang and Olufsen gear... (Page 4)
BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2009, 12:46 PM

From EvilBay you can score a Crown D150, and IC150a, and JBL4311's for maybe 1200 bucks. Hard to beat that system.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 28, 2009, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
From EvilBay

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2009, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
From EvilBay you can score a Crown D150, and IC150a, and JBL4311's for maybe 1200 bucks. Hard to beat that system.
Yeah, but 1200 bucks is still 1200 bucks for someone who's still a student for a little while longer, at least.

I went with the Boston Acoustics A200 speakers, after setting up a test-listen with the guy; we ran the A200s, the Telefunken TFK-4004s, some Mirage 360s, and the Yamaha NS-1000 monitors through the CR-2020 as well as a late-model Sony amp.

Of course the NS-1000s really seemed to be the gold standard of the bunch - and that's why they're still worth a mint to buy second-hand - but the A200s really came through. Low-end could use a bit more kick but that's something I can always address later - and we're still talking 10" woofer, 4.5" mids and 1" tweeters; not exactly terribly small stuff here, especially for the ridiculously low price I paid for them.

They are a little on the "bright" side (especially mid/upper range) and the Yamaha amp is pretty clear as well, so I feel I'll have to do a little adjusting to find a sweet spot. But I'm pretty happy with the setup thus far.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

otterbio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2012, 02:48 PM

Hi, I'm responding to anold post on the SONY STR 6800SD receiver. Bought mine new in "78 and is still in better than great condition. Been using Bozak listener series LS-250 since the beginning. Anyone out there in a similar condition as me? let me know.

knifecarrier2
Baninated
Oct 1, 2012, 03:26 PM

knifecarrier2
Baninated
Oct 1, 2012, 03:30 PM

Oh, and after reading the thread again:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Bang-and-Olufsen-Beovox-Woofer-Replacement-easy/

$34 and it sounds AWESOME. The ohm rating is a tad off 8 ohms instead of 6.4 ohms. Whatever. Works great!

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2012, 03:26 AM

Hah. Some funny talk in this thread. Good times.

Re: B&O speakers: I'm sure it still sounds good, but my understanding is that if your Ohms rating changed then your sound will be somewhat "off" because B&O designed that speaker for a certain set of values. Whether that's a good or bad thing depends on you I suppose - but I'd always recommend a simple re-foam, if only because those speakers only retain their value with original components.

I sold the Sony STR-6800SD receiver a few years back, sorry. It was a nice sound while it lasted. I moved on to a Yamaha CR-2020 receiver with NS-1000 speakers, then the speakers with a Parasound A23 amp, then Energy 22 Reference Connoisseur speakers (which I still have because they're beautiful) with a Parasound A21 amp via a Bryston 1B preamp, and then a Parasound P3 preamp (because it was pretty!), then some active speakers to save space, and now I'm back with Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers with a Butler TDB 2250 hybrid amplifier - first with an Assemblage tube preamp, but now back to the cheaper Bryston 1B because I like it more.

It's basically a coin-operated revolving door.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2012, 10:49 AM

Whoops, forgot the Boston Acoustics A200s in there, haha......still have those in storage as well; the wife liked them because they take up so little floor space.

Those have new woofers as well, replacing originals that had had foam rot. That was done by a previous owner, but as I mentioned I would not have done it that way. They do sound slightly different from models I've heard with the original woofers....

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2012, 10:37 AM

Have you visited the Audiokarma.org site? Very informative.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2012, 02:00 PM

Yeah, I go there now and again.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2012, 10:38 PM

The new Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay A9 surely looks amazing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules