Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Earbuds in TF2

Earbuds in TF2
ibook_steve
Aug 13, 2012, 02:09 PM

Something very strange happened a couple of weeks ago. I was in Steam (playing Limbo; awesome) when someone I didn't know started a chat asking for my "earbuds" item in TF2. Now I've played TF2 for maybe a grand total of half an hour (FPSs just don't do it for me these days). I did a search and it appears the Mac "earbuds" item is extremely rare, only given to people who started playing TF2 on certain dates in 2010 (which I guess is when I tried the game out when I purchased the Orange Box).

The person was a little pushy, so I blocked them. Frankly, I'm not sure how they knew I even had this. Is there any setting or something else I need to block to prevent this from happening again? I haven't had TF2 even installed on my computer in years.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2012, 03:01 PM

How much was he offering for them?

ibook_steve  (op)
Aug 13, 2012, 03:36 PM

He didn't offer me anything. Just basically said, "Can I have them?"

Steve

Malcolm Owen
Aug 13, 2012, 04:00 PM

Unfortunately, there's little you can do about it.
Blocking them is one option. Wearing them in-game, showing off to everyone what you have and they don't and generally being an ass to everyone is another.
Stopping everyone from asking you about just that? It's like trying to block the scammers: not going to happen without a fight.

On the plus side, congrats for having an item that isn't a bloody hat in the game...

ibook_steve  (op)
Aug 13, 2012, 04:02 PM

But how would someone know I have them if I don't play the game?

Steve

Malcolm Owen
Aug 13, 2012, 04:07 PM

In the Steam client, if you go to the Community pages and look at a profile, there's a link on the right called "Inventory." It contains a list of all items owned in games that have trading enabled. TF2 does, so the option is there. Not too sure off the top of my head if there's a way to block anyone from viewing them...

EDIT: Ahh! Yes! Edit your profile in Community, and under Settings there's a section for Inventory. Set it to anything other than Public or Users Only and you're golden...

FaquarlOfSparta
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2012, 09:16 AM

Hi Steve!

I know this post may seem to you as strange as the guy asking you for the earbuds on Steam, but whatever...
Yes, I admit I'm also interested in the buds as they are, like you mentioned, quite rare AND because I started collecting tf2 items a few days ago (I was free to play and couldn't get much, but a friend of mine gave me his account).

And No, I'm not gonna be impolite and "pushy", so If you don't reply, I don't mind.
As for me, I don't know what I could send you in return (on steam), since I can't connect a bank account to steam right now and you don't seem to want any tf2 items I could give you...

I'd be happy if you at least read my post. XD

PS: you can trade tf2 stuff simply via steam without having to install the hole 19 GB game files

Sent from my *GODDAMNLEARNTOSPELL* iPod touch

Greetz from Germany

FoSparta

Forum Links
Forum Rules