Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Need a Pentalobe ASAP

Need a Pentalobe ASAP
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2013, 06:00 PM

I don't have a pentalobe driver in my primary tool kit, but I have an iFixit mini toolkit that has a few pentalobe sizes in it. Come to find out the ifixit kit has GIANT bits that don't fit any Apple pentalobe products. So here I am, looking like an idiot because I can't install a new ssd in a customers MacBook Air.

Where can I buy a pentalobe driver kit, in-store, not online? I've searching and searching but I can't find anything. There's no time to ship. I have all day Saturday to drive anywhere I need to to get one. Does anyone know where I might find some?

I've actually been trying to get a set of pentalobes for a while now. But none of the quality tool manufacturers make them. I bought one kit online but it was garbage, super cheap straight outta hong kong tools. So if anyone has any ideas who might carry pentalobes, clue me in. Meanwhile, I'll be here googling, hoping I get lucky.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2013, 06:45 PM

Most of them are cheap rubbish, i'd be surprised if you found them in stock anywhere though, online is the only way to go. Can't you manage one job with the garbage set?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2013, 06:52 PM

I returned the garbage set the day i got it, a week or two ago. I have nothing now. I already ordered a kit from amazon but next day shipping still doesn't have it being delivered until tuesday. If I can get a local set sooner, that would be ideal.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2013, 08:56 PM

Look on DX.com. They have some high-quality kits. I've gotten a couple different kits from them that are really very nice.

This is one of the sets I have:

Handy Precision Maintenance Tool Screwdrivers Set (45-Piece) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

It's excellent. Quality bits, nice handle, and a really nice case.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2013, 08:59 PM

If i'm going to order more tools online, I want them to be high quality tools like these: Precision Technicians Micro Screwdrivers
Not sure why they don't make pentalobes. But anyway I'm not looking for places to buy them online

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2013, 09:00 PM

I know, just thought I'd let you know in case you can't find anything else.

FWIW all I ever use is that kit (plus another one I have when I can't find the above-linked one). The bits have held up really well to a lot of heavy use. I know some of the really crappy Chinese kits are terrible, with bits made of really soft alloys, but that particular set has been well worth the money.

Just my two cents and all.

Also: the reason that company doesn't have pentalobe is that they're Apple's supplier for all small tools. I'm quite sure Apple has an exclusive agreement with them, in order to prevent third parties from - gasp! - trying to work on the hardware they own.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2013, 09:01 PM

I really don't want bits at all. I'd much rather have real full drivers, than interchangeable bits.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2013, 09:19 PM

Bamboo Joint Shaped Handle 5 Point Star Pentalobe Screwdriver for Apple MacBook - Green - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

You're going to be very hard-pressed to find a pentalobe screwdriver in any B&M store. Apple's made sure of that; they really don't want anyone touching the components on their new laptops.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2013, 07:26 PM

So I got the set from amazon and went right to work with them. They are cheap drivers that aren't even labeled, so you don't know which is which. But they did get the job done. Whia got back to me and confirmed that they do not currently make any pentalobes. WTF apple.

Forum Links
Forum Rules