Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Atek Super Mini Optical Mouse

Atek Super Mini Optical Mouse
Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2002, 09:11 PM

Is anyone using the Atek Super Mini Optical Mouse?
http://www.atek.com/accessories/minimouse.htm

I am looking for an alternative to the iBook trackpad, and this appears to be the most portable and functional of the devices I have come across...

I am also wondering if there is a way to temporarily disable the trackpad when using an alternative device?

[ 03-08-2002: Message edited by: Mojo ]

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2002, 09:20 PM

Yuck! That mouse sucks!

I think you should go for Logitech's MouseMan Traveler. It's of much higher quality, and it's more comfortable to use.

Mojo  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2002, 01:27 AM

Unfortunately, when I went to Logitech's website I was unable to locate the Mouseman Traveler. The size of the Atek was what attracted me to it; how large is the Mouseman Traveler in comparison to it and the standard Apple mouse that ships with the CRT iMacs?

P.S. I finally did find it using Google to search for images of the mouse. But apparently the PDF file with its dimensions won't load because it isn't named correctly...I did notice that it doesn't seem to be compatible with OS X.

Kensington Mouseworks is compatible with OS X...

[ 03-09-2002: Message edited by: Mojo ]

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2002, 05:47 PM

I got a question for those with mice on an iBook.

Do you need a USB extension cord because of the iBook left-side plug-in access? Is a convential mouse cord long enough for right-handed people?

Just wondering.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2002, 06:06 PM

Mojo, MacWorld didn't give that mouse too good of a review.

Checkout the Logitech MouseMan Traveler.

Mojo  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2002, 07:25 PM

The Kensington PocketMouse Pro is intriguing...It has a 3' retractable cord and the MouseWorks software works with OS X. My two trackballs are both Kensington, but I have also read good things about Logitech.
http://www.kensignton.com/products/pro_mic_d1453.html

It's funny...I searched for an actual review of the Atek mouse and found nothing at Macworld. But there is a write-up about it in the February 2002 Macworld, page 22 under "Geek Stuff," which is where I found it originally. And the little article doesn't have anything negative to say except for a lack of OS X drivers.

[ 03-09-2002: Message edited by: Mojo ]

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2002, 09:23 PM

vmpaul, it depends on the length of the cord on a particular mouse. The cord on Apple's Pro Mouse, for example, is really short so it won't reach around to the right side. The cord on my Microsoft Optical IntelliMouse, on the other hand, is several feet long and is more than enough for right side use.

Anyway, I'm looking to replace that MS mouse in the near future (because it's MS, the cord is really too long for easy travel, it has no OSX support, the side buttons annoy me, and the mouse itself is pretty big for travel).
I tried out the Kensington Pocketmouse Pro with retractable cord in the store the other day, and it's great! The size is nice; the retractable cord is GREAT for travel; Kensington has great OSX drivers, and the mouse only has the buttons I want (2 normal buttons and a wheel). It was pretty small and had a good feel, too.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2002, 09:31 PM

I don't like the retractable cord on the Kensington mouse. It feels cheap. Also, it's not going to work for any kind of gaming. It's just too heavy and clumsy for playing any sort of FPS games. Personally, I would just use a trackpad instead of one of those.

I like the MouseMan Traveler because it feels solid, and the optical sensor is exceptional. It's the same sensor that's in the MouseMan Dual Optical and the Wheel Mouse Optical.

Max8319
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2002, 10:33 PM

i got a Contour MiniPro Mouse. it's really nice and it's really small. you have to arch your hand up like you used to with the puck mouse but to a greater extent. it's got a odd second button; it's actually placed BEHIND the main button. i just got used to it and only use it when i go somewhere. otherwise i use a logitech.

one problem i did have was that the mouse registered a double click when i only single clicked. i returned it and got a new one that works.

i think it should fit around the back of the 12" ibook, but you can check their website and see how long the cord is.

i'm not sure if i'd recommend it, but it's decent mouse for travel. try the logitech one; people seem to like it

anna katzner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2002, 04:57 PM

you might want to have a look at this one:

macally iOpti jr.

( http://www.macally.com/spec/usb/inpu...e/ioptijr.html )

i've got one & i love it. 2 buttons + clickable scrollwheel, and the USB-cable is long enough for both left&right-handers without being unpracticably long for on-the-road-use.

mouse works nice on (e.g.) my blue jeans , works crappy on any reflective surface (but that's a problem of optical mice in general )

anyway: for me it's the perfect companion to my iBook

hth, anna[/LIST]

xyber233
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2002, 10:39 PM

I saw that logitech mouse today. It is the COOLEST mouse I have seen! If I buy a laptop, thats my first accessory.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2002, 11:17 PM

Doesn't it, though?

Forum Links
Forum Rules