Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ergonomics and durability

Ergonomics and durability
aloner
Jun 9, 2001, 05:23 AM

I own a iBook SE 466 Graphite and I love it. When the new iBook was released, I started thinking about upgrading, but after playing with the new iBook in a shop and reading some of the posts regarding:
1) Gaps between screen and keyboard when closed
2) Flimsy keyboard
3) Flimsy trackpad button

I suspect that my old iBook is far more durable and ergonomic (wider so is more stable when sitting on my lap, nice palm rest area, handle, no latch) that the new one. Your comments will be appreciatted.
Thanks

prolix
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2001, 09:29 AM

The one I played with at the store the other day seemed plenty strong. The keyboard seemed pretty firm. As for the screen gap when closed I can't comment b/c they had it locked down with this metal bracket.

Only time will tell as to the real durability of these things, but from my experience the other day at the store I had enough confidence in the iBook to order one.

BobVB
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2001, 11:36 AM

1) Gaps between screen and keyboard when closed
I guess I don't understand this 'complaint'. The latch is what holds it closed and the gap is no more than the play in the latch (an 1/8 of an inch max). What is everyone so afraid of here? Better a bit loose than a potentially screen marring tightness, right?

2) Flimsy keyboard

Actually, my properly seated keyboard is firm and reliable, similar if not better than all the previous Apple portable models I've had a chance to use during my demos at various stores. If these impressions are being gotten from store display models take a moment to think: Everyone knows the keyboard comes off - how many unauthorized removals and replacements have been performed on the machine your using? I've had to help people get the keyboard back on several times while doing demos, and those are with me standing there - how many times do you think it happens when no one is there, and the person having problems putting it back just pushes harder to fix the the problem? If the iBook keyboard isn't warped, and its been put back properly there shouldn't be a problem.

3) Flimsy trackpad button

Mines clicks fine and is quite solid in feel and click, and I've even graduated to where I have turned the 'click' option on the trackpad on so I don't have to use the clicker nearly as much anymore. On a similar note I haven't found the trackpad too large, but then this is my first owned portable so I've had nothing to unlearn. There is a shareware control panel called 'TapGuard' that will disarm the pad while typing is going on for people who are having real problem.

dbergstrom
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2001, 12:40 PM

My iBook keyboard feels great. It's actually sturdier than the PowerBook G4 keyboard. The backing on the G4 keyboard is essentially the thickness of a piece of paper. The iBook keyboard is mounted on something a little more rigid. There's definitely less flex in the iBook keyboard than the powerBook G4.

It makes a huge difference if the keyboard lock (between the f5 and f6 keys) is locked down. When it itsn't locked there tends to be a big bulge in the top center of the keyboard. This is even more true on the PowerBook G4.

[ 06-09-2001: Message edited by: dbergstrom ]
Don

Forum Links
Forum Rules