Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone going to Avoid the Hulk purely because of the Commercialization?

Anyone going to Avoid the Hulk purely because of the Commercialization?
permanent68
Banned
Jul 1, 2003, 04:12 PM

I am. I refuse to see this movie, I don't care if it's good or not. When they make HULK Jello, HULK mountain dew, HULK oreos, HULK socks, I'm not going to see the freaking movie.

- Ca$h

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2003, 04:14 PM

Mmmmm merchantising!

Do they have a Hulk lunchbox? Or pajamas? .. maybe Hulk cereal!

I just ask because there is no merchandising around Hulk in Iceland.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2003, 04:18 PM

Rightly or not, most of the Hulk tie-ins are being marketed to kids. I don't think the Hulk is really a kids' movie, but you wouldn't know it from all the toys.

Anyway, I don't care if they market movies to kids ad nauseum; you expect it. More irksome to me are the vast commercial enterprises that now surround new James Bond movies, where every yuppie gadget James carries in the new film is touted in commercials featuring clips from the film and a Brosnan lookalike in a tuxedo. Didn't they even do one last time with Bond's electric shaver?
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

ringo
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2003, 04:18 PM

Just my opinion, but I think that's a lame reason not to see a movie. I'd rather see a good movie that has been heavily marketed than a bad movie with mad indie cred.

(By the way - Go see "28 Days Later"...excellent film, no jello tie-ins)

permanent68  (op)
Banned
Jul 1, 2003, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Mmmmm merchantising!

Its disgusting. I can't even go grocery shopping without seeing green crap everywhere. Then, a few days ago I went to www.weather.com, and the screen starts shaking and all of a sudden the flash animated HULK smashes through the screen and starts jumping around in front of hte forecast. GOD DAMMIT! I WANT TO SEE THE WEATHER! NOt some annoying animated merchandizing crap!

ARGH!

- Ca$h

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2003, 04:23 PM

I think I'll skip it in part because it's not a very good movie.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2003, 04:40 PM

Going to see it tonite. Fortunately I don't live in suburbia-land and don't frequent McChoke-n-Pukes or whatever so I don't have to deal with the Hulk-o-Mania commercial tie-ins.

I want to see what Ang Lee does with this movie. Should prove interesting even if it isn't the best action movie in the world.

itomato
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 05:45 PM

Nope. Did that routine a decade ago with the whole Batman thing.

Commercialization, plus Michael Keaton as Batman? Hmmf.. Not my Batman..

Now I just don't really care. The Hulk can jump around in the air? Mm hmm.. Yeah.

Summer movies are all about commercialization when they are aimed at people under 30. Don't buy, and they won't make.
-- | T () /\/\ /.\ T () --

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by permanent68:
Its disgusting. I can't even go grocery shopping without seeing green crap everywhere. Then, a few days ago I went to www.weather.com, and the screen starts shaking and all of a sudden the flash animated HULK smashes through the screen and starts jumping around in front of hte forecast. GOD DAMMIT! I WANT TO SEE THE WEATHER! NOt some annoying animated merchandizing crap!

ARGH!

- Ca$h
heh, I wonder if they have similar tie-ins on the air: "And if we look at the local radar, we can actually see the Hulk bounding from mountain to mountain in his characteristic action-star style. Go see Hulk, in theaters now. Highs today were in the upper 80s in the Eastern seaboard..."

permanent68  (op)
Banned
Jul 1, 2003, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by awaspaas:
heh, I wonder if they have similar tie-ins on the air: "And if we look at the local radar, we can actually see the Hulk bounding from mountain to mountain in his characteristic action-star style. Go see Hulk, in theaters now. Highs today were in the upper 80s in the Eastern seaboard..."
Buahahahahahhahh!!!!!!! Nice.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2003, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by itomato:
Nope. Did that routine a decade ago with the whole Batman thing.

Commercialization, plus Michael Keaton as Batman? Hmmf.. Not my Batman..
Yeah, everyone knows Adam West is the real Batman (and the mayor of Quahog).

Kitschy
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 06:54 PM

No. I'll probably avoid it until it comes to the the dollar theater where i'll watch it on 50 cent tuesday. Heh heh.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2003, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by Kitschy:
No. I'll probably avoid it until it comes to the the dollar theater where i'll watch it on 50 cent tuesday. Heh heh.
Wish I had done that. Check out the Hulk thread if you wanna know why.

But I see Ca$h's point. In the past I have avoided movies or TV shows if I felt completely violated by intrusive advertising. Then again, I can be somewhat of a contrarian.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

roger_ramjet
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 07:09 PM

Wish I'd done that with the Matrix but even then it still would have been a waste of time and money. Wow! Did that movie suck or what?

permanent68  (op)
Banned
Jul 1, 2003, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by roger_ramjet:
Wish I'd done that with the Matrix but even then it still would have been a waste of time and money. Wow! Did that movie suck or what?
I thought it was good. I saw it THREE times in the theater. You had to use your BRAIN to understand the movie fully, that's probably why you didn't like it.

- Rob

PS: How many pages was the Reloaded thread? Yeah, sure sucked.

roger_ramjet
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 07:27 PM

I thought it was good. I saw it THREE times in the theater. You had to use your BRAIN to understand the movie fully, that's probably why you didn't like it.

- Rob

PS: How many pages was the Reloaded thread? Yeah, sure sucked.
Yeah, all that flying around like Superman... That was pure creative genius... Way beyond my ability to appreciate.

As for that thread, I avoided it because I hadn't seen the movie yet. It wouldn't matter to me how many disagree with me. It still sucked. That said, most of the people I've talked to about thought it sucked too. I was in a store the other day with a friend and we were talking about it and a complete stranger came by and asked, "You guys talking about the Matrix? I thought it sucked too."

permanent68  (op)
Banned
Jul 1, 2003, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by roger_ramjet:
Yeah, all that flying around like Superman... That was pure creative genius... Way beyond my ability to appreciate.

As for that thread, I avoided it because I hadn't seen the movie yet. It wouldn't matter to me how many disagree with me. It still sucked. That said, most of the people I've talked to about thought it sucked too. I was in a store the other day with a friend and we were talking about it and a complete stranger came by and asked, "You guys talking about the Matrix? I thought it sucked too."
We also live in a country of SUVs, MTV, and lawsuits over cups of coffee. Most people are morons. Seems like you're in that group if you agree with most people. Most people also think macs suck, and that PCs are better. So yeah, sometimes you show some signs of intelligence, but then fall prey to the masses (stupidity).

- Ca$h

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2003, 07:40 PM

First you say popularity means its good, then you say all kinds of shyte is popular and it doesn't mean anything.

Which is it?
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

permanent68  (op)
Banned
Jul 1, 2003, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:

First you say popularity means its good, then you say all kinds of shyte is popular and it doesn't mean anything.

Which is it?
When have I ever said popularity is good? Its true I mentioned the Matrix thread, but thats because it was a LARGE DISCUSSION, not necessarily a 'popular' one. Everyone who saw the movie wanted to discuss it, and learn about it. That doesn't mean its popular.

- Ca$h

Myriad
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2003, 07:58 PM

Bah. I'm sick of everyone saying that just because someone didn't like Reloaded, then they obviously didn't understand it's deeper meaning. It had no deeper meaning. The pseudophilosophy was practically thrown in your face, then shoved down your throat. It was a mind **** for people who want to think that what they are seeing is intellectual material, and that it requires a higher level of thought to understand. Hollywood doesn't make movies like that.

The hidden references to religious concepts doesn't help much either. They certainly can't make a bad movie good. But despite all of those things, they are not the reasons the movie sucked. It sucked because of the acting, and the editing, and the pacing, and the dialogue, and the set design, and the overlong fight scenes, and the boring reuse of the same special effects over and over, and the...

What, the Hulk? Oh, haven't seen it, not really in to the Hulk.
Have you seen me?

permanent68  (op)
Banned
Jul 1, 2003, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by Myriad:
blah blah I'm sick of it cuz blah!
I disagree. While some of it was typical hollywood crap, a lot of it was better than typical hollywood crap.

- Rob

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2003, 08:24 PM

I disagree. While some of it was typical hollywood crap, a lot of it was better than typical hollywood crap.

- Rob
Then your radically superior brain and capacity for abstract thought shouldn't rebel so easily at the idea that others didn't think so.

permanent68  (op)
Banned
Jul 1, 2003, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
Then your radically superior brain and capacity for abstract thought shouldn't rebel so easily at the idea that others didn't think so.
I'm idealistic.

- Rob

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2003, 11:23 PM

I'm not going to see it because it looks pretty stupid.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 2, 2003, 12:25 AM

Well, here's a good reason not to see it. It sucked.

Saw it today. Worst movie I've seen all year. There were a few good scenes but the CG was terrible and the pacing of the movie was all wrong. Lame plot too.

And the worst part? Brace yourselves... They smashed... a Cinema Display!

Kinda stupid too seeing an iBook and an iMac running hard core scientific number crunching software controlling high energy radiation-emitting machines. At least they had a few shots of Aqua.

roger_ramjet
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2003, 09:04 AM

We also live in a country of SUVs, MTV, and lawsuits over cups of coffee. Most people are morons. Seems like you're in that group if you agree with most people. Most people also think macs suck, and that PCs are better. So yeah, sometimes you show some signs of intelligence, but then fall prey to the masses (stupidity).
I'm like most people? I don't have an SUV. I don't watch MTV. I have a Mac. So what? None of this has ANYTHING to do with whether or not "Matrix: Reloaded" sucked. Sorry Ca$h but the Wachowski brothers used up all their creative energy in the original. The sequel was nothing more than some martial arts, a car chase and a big-ass FX budget wrapped around a little dime-store philosophy.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2003, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by ReggieX:
I'm not going to see it because it looks pretty stupid.
We have a winner, folks! You can feed a lot of people mush, and tell them it tastes good, and they'll eat it because you said to.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

designbc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 2, 2003, 09:15 AM

I'd save the money, it will be on TV next month. I went to see it at the movies last friday night and it was EMPTY.
Ah, and it sucked, by the way.
There is no spoon

designbc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 2, 2003, 09:19 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Mmmmm merchantising!

\
Yes, they do. Last night a went to my friend's house and his 5 year old boy was wearing his Hulk pajamas.
There is no spoon

gadster
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2003, 09:29 AM

Completely OT, but has anyone seen 'Chopper'?
e-gads

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2003, 10:08 AM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Kinda stupid too seeing an iBook and an iMac running hard core scientific number crunching software controlling high energy radiation-emitting machines. At least they had a few shots of Aqua.
Well, Macs are used in scientific computing a lot.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2003, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by Nonsuch:
Well, Macs are used in scientific computing a lot.
Yeah, but generally they're Power Macs and Power Books, or the Xserve.

The movie had mission critical apps running on an iBook. But what bothered me more was that poor smashed Cinema Display. That and the fact that movie was terrible.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2003, 10:39 AM

Heh. Lots of people are going to avoid it here, because

a) it's transpired that it's a POS (like you couldn't tell from the preview), and

b) CinemaXX, Germany's largest theater chain, is refusing to run it because UIP (distributor) is tying availability and pricing to outrageous box office margins for some vampire movie that's coming out next year. It's turned into an informal industry-wide boycott by all major cinema theater companies here except one.

Tee hee hee.

-s*

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 2, 2003, 11:02 AM

I saw Hulk last night.

First of all, it is not a POS. Secondly, it's been underrated even by critics who never picked up on the anti-Bush adminstration motifs and "what is freedom from tyranny?" subtext throughout the WHOLE MOVIE. For those who are a bit too literal minded, there is even a scene with a GW look-alike fly-fishing and being oblivious while a Condaleeza Rice lookalike runs the show from the back of a limo...

"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2003, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by AB^2=BCxAC:
I saw Hulk last night.

First of all, it is not a POS. Secondly, it's been underrated even by critics who never picked up on the anti-Bush adminstration motifs and "what is freedom from tyranny?" subtext throughout the WHOLE MOVIE. For those who are a bit too literal minded, there is even a scene with a GW look-alike fly-fishing and being oblivious while a Condaleeza Rice lookalike runs the show from the back of a limo...

Sorry, but having subtexts in a movie doesn't automatically make it not suck.

There was a lot of potential in this movie, and certain parts did impress me, but in the end, the potential was not met. It didn't work as a drama, and it didn't work as an action movie, and all the subtexts and messages simply got lost in the shuffle.

gadster
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2003, 12:26 PM

Gumby� on steroids - that's what I've heard.
e-gads

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2003, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by gadster:
Gumby� on steroids - that's what I've heard.
Funny you should mention that. Not Gumby, but the first thing I thought of was Shrek.

designbc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 2, 2003, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Funny you should mention that. Not Gumby, but the first thing I thought of was Shrek.
I'm sure Shrek would take that as an offense
There is no spoon

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 2, 2003, 01:56 PM

Well, I thought it was great. I thought the cinematography was terrific, and the editing paced the movie alot like my experience of reading great graphic novels. Reminded me alot of "The Marvels" in that sense. I especially enjoyed how the story focused on 4 characters and how their lives were all inextricably tied together; Three were all stuck fighting against one another to see who could be independent of the morass first, while Bruce was just caught in the mess and forced to carry the burden of everyone else's issues.

And I thought the Hulk was terrific in CG, the dog fight was fantastic, and all that leaping was really cool. Though, I really wanted to see him clap his hands together like he does in the new video game.
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2003, 11:16 AM

seen the hulk, it good

HULK USE OSX SMASH SMASH!
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules