Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Beachball of Doom on G5 tower after 10.4.1

Beachball of Doom on G5 tower after 10.4.1
NeutrixX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 03:42 AM

Can someone help? My dual 1.8 tower (900mhz bus) is stalled with the beachball (I cannot force quit anything). I get the menu after logging in, but no dock. I've already booted into single user mode (command S) to check for conflicts... but everything looked good. I've also command option Open Firmwared and reset everything, but that didn't do the trick either. I already repaired permissions & the disk using my Tiger DVD (everything looked good... no problems found)... but still no worky. Also, I do have an Apple keyboard and Apple optical mouse plugged into it to prevent any weird third party conflicts from popping up.
What's gives?
Do I have to do a complete re-install off my Tiger DVD?
Thanks for the help...

NeutrixX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 03:51 AM

Oh... and I already zapped the pram as well...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2005, 03:59 AM

Sorry to see you're having problems, Neutrix. Your user account may be corrupt; you should try logging in as another user if you have the option to do so. Otherwise, an Archive and Install of Tiger is probably the quickest route to a healthy system.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

NeutrixX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 04:10 AM

Thanks... I'm already Archiving & Installing with Tiger DVD. Unfortunately I only had one Administer account on my system ... so no luck in logging into another account (learned my lesson the hard way). What the heck does Restore do within the disk utlity do anyhow? What is it used for?
Thanks for the help...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2005, 04:18 AM

Apple Software Restore can copy disk images to volumes, and it can be used to create disk image clones that can then be restored. asr is the command line utility version; type man asr for more information. It's not like XP's Restore function, and the question of whether or not Apple should add such a feature to OS X really should be debated.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

NeutrixX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 04:21 AM

Thanks again for the quick response!
Have a great night...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2005, 04:36 AM

You too, hope the reinstallation works out.

NeutrixX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 05:14 AM

Archiving and Installing from the Tiger DVD worked like a charm (thank god I could boot off the Tiger DVD - the "c" key saved the day)! I didn't lose a thing! I chanced it and software updated to 10.4.1 (just to try it again)... and low and behold.... 10.4.1 rocks! This dual 1.8 feels even faster! In the future I'll have at least 2 accounts per computer, as I do believe my one and only account (Admin) account was corrupted and exposed somehow through the update (just like you said). Thank you Apple for making my G5 feel faster, and big thanks to Big Mac...
Mucho Gracious

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2005, 05:17 AM

Great! You're welcome. If you're up and running with the same user, that user must be fine, and it was instead the OS that was damaged. But it is a great idea to have another admin account for troubleshooting.

Forum Links
Forum Rules