Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > MBA vs Phd ?

MBA vs Phd ?
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2010, 03:39 AM

Thinking out loud.

I've got a bunch of options on the table for the mid-term (6-12 months from now), one being further education. I am a Computer Scientist(BS) and Software Engineer(MS).

I enjoy research, i did a lot in undergrad and grad school (just a fraction of the courses). So a Phd appeals to me in that sense. On the other hand, MBAs seem to have a more practical use regarding career prospects and climbing the ladder.... the timeframes involved is also a lot shorter than with Phds. At the same time, i've gotten kinda bored and frustrated with the computer industry and software development as a profession (generally because the only feedback one gets is criticisms as opposed to gratitude/encouragement).

Just wanted some opinions from people who have either qualifications or are considering them.

Cheers

Paco500
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2010, 04:05 AM

I've got an MBA, and while I like the size and weight, it's a bit underpowered- I especially wish I could upgrade the RAM. What is a Phd- is that short iPad or something? I don't get it.

OreoCookie
Mar 5, 2010, 05:04 AM

If you enjoy research, go ahead and do a PhD. You go into a lot more depth.
My friends from Germany who have done internships in the US (some of them at our favorite fruit company) have said that American graduates lack skills that are taught as essentials here, because they graduate a bit `early.' (Up until recently, you had to study at least 5 years to get a degree in computer science.)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2010, 07:29 AM

In my personal experience and from observations shared with me, MBAs are rapidly losing both their lustre and their relevance. If you'd come to our company with an MBA I know it would be a hindrance rather than an asset, simply because we'd be worried that we'd have to un-train you.

A PhD on the other hand encourages independent thinking and has real value.

Tangent: OreoCookie, a comment I've heard made in US schools about German students was that they had all the hard knowledge in the world and very little in the way of imagination, simply because they arrived thinking that they knew it all. There was no room left for improvisation.

Not trying to get into a pissing match about education of course, your comment just reminded me of that.

OreoCookie
Mar 5, 2010, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Tangent: OreoCookie, a comment I've heard made in US schools about German students was that they had all the hard knowledge in the world and very little in the way of imagination, simply because they arrived thinking that they knew it all. There was no room left for improvisation.
I know this is anecdotal evidence, but I've heard from several people that American computer scientists lack the knowledge how to plan software projects, for instance.

IMO what Germans lack is not imagination (you do need a lot of imagination to design good solutions), but their perfectionism gets in the way every once in a while. Americans are better at getting things done even if the solution is not perfect.
Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Not trying to get into a pissing match about education of course, your comment just reminded me of that.
Same here. My intention was not to say `mine is better than yours' but rather that doing a PhD may be better than yet another master's degree.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2010, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I know this is anecdotal evidence, but I've heard from several people that American computer scientists lack the knowledge how to plan software projects, for instance.
I've worked on software projects with the following : Americans, Brits, French, Swedes, Italians, Germans, Belgians, Indians, Poles, South Africans, Australians and a Croat.

NOBODY knows how to plan software projects. In fact I would expand this to IT Projects.

Hawkeye_a, why not certification? Or even a change of direction?

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2010, 10:10 AM

I've not worked for that large variety of cultures (I am envious of your experience). But my general opinion is that in the U.S. the idea is to get the job done, everywhere else it seems the bureaucracy tends to bog things down. And i have found Germans in general to be very thorough(which i like).

I'm very curious about the way the Japanese approach these problems tho.

mattyb......as far as planning software projects. i have to agree. ive worked in companies of different sizes, and the methodology employed is(if you can call it that) .... just keep iterating until we like the result. Don't even get me started on requirement specifications.

The change in direction is on the table as well, which would be fairly drastic and something i'd have to be able to absorb(financially). I would love to continue developing software as a hobby, and specifically on the Mac/iPhone/iPad (as opposed to every job i've had which has been on Windoze, ugh). Certification..... SAP has crossed my mind, but im not sure im really interested in it.... more $$$ is the only incentive i could think of.

Cheers

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2010, 12:51 PM

If you think you'll be a scientist all your life, than the phd seems like the logical/best choice. For a slightly different point of view, I got my degree in management of info svs. My on-the-job experience gave me the technical chops, and I've worked in development areas for most of my career.

But as I get older, I like that I have that "management" area of education, because it's made for a smooth transition (partially it's a personality thing - I like being a project leader/manager) to management. Both because I have a "degree" that says I can manage (ha), but also because I've been exposed to budget management, resolving personality conflict, etc. Doesn't make me an expert, but it helps sway a potential employer to think I am.

Also, the leader of any team gets paid more than the team members, and as I focus on the support of my family and retirement I'm glad I'm in the position I'm in.

Just thought I'd offer a slightly different point of view... Good luck.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2010, 01:52 PM

Get a PhD in astronomy so I can mooch off your telescope time.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules