Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Dragging items from Amazon?

Dragging items from Amazon?
DaveMc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2008, 07:19 AM

Hi, when I went to DL2, I seem to have lost the ability to drag items from Amazon into DL and have them automatically created as a new item in the library. I submitted a bug report and Terry Philips wrote back to say "It still works, but you have to drop the Amazon URL directly into the shelf area."

Alas, I still can't get that to work! The way it used to operate, I would grab the thumbnail image from the item's Amazon page, drag it over to DL, and let it go -- and a new item would be created, properly populated with all the info from Amazon. Now when I do the same thing, the image just snaps back, no mater where I try to drag it. I'm not sure what "the shelf area" means, but so far I've found no region of the interface that accepts these images and does what it used to do with them.

Does anyone else have this problem, or a suggestion as to what I'm doing wrong (if it's a question of where to do the dropping)? Any advice would be appreciated! I normally update my library by dragging from Amazon rather than scanning barcodes, so not being able to do this is a bit of a pain.

Thanks,
Dave

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2008, 08:26 PM

Just to check, if you drag the URL to the desktop, does a link show up there?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

DaveMc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2008, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Just to check, if you drag the URL to the desktop, does a link show up there?
Hmm ... Let me give you an example: I've been looking at a page like the following, at amazon.ca:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/0439...pf_rd_i=915398

When I drag the item image from that page to the desktop, I get a JPG image on the desktop. When I highlight the URL for that whole page and drag *that* to the desktop, I get a link, but it's just to www.amazon.ca. If I do the same thing with the link that's opened when you click on the item's thumbnail, I also get a link to www.amazon.ca.

So quite possibly what has broken is the way Amazon.ca handles links? Certainly DL can't figure out what the item is, if the link is just coming back as amazon.ca with no identifying information . . .

Though I just tried the same thing with www.amazon.com, and got the same behaviour: dragging the image produces an image file rather than a link, and dragging the URL just creates a link to www.amazon.com. Weird.

Used to be that I could grab that thumbnail, drag it over to DL, and it would Just Work (TM), and I don't think I'm just imagining the fact that it no longer does . . . But possibly I'm missing something, I don't know.

Forum Links
Forum Rules