Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 800mgz g4 vs. 933mgz g4 please help!

800mgz g4 vs. 933mgz g4 please help!
xkidmidnightx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2003, 02:36 AM

hi, ive never had a mac before (always used p.c., linux and windows) but am planing on getting one of the new ibooks.

my only problem is deciding which one to get. Being from the p.c. side of things i dont really understand the various g4, g3, ect. processor speeds and how they relate to macs.

i like the 12 inch form factor better because i am going to be using the laptop as a laptop, not a desktop replacement, BUT its slower than the 14.

i am mostly going to be using the ibook for taking notes, surfing, photoshop, and making music. No video editing or games.

my question is, how much of a speed difference with there be between an 800mgz processor and a 1ghz processor? with both i am going to max out the ram and harddrives and the 200 dollar price differencs isnt an issue for me (although the jump to the 12 inch powerbook is).

thanks in advance!

p.s. if you could equate it to p.c. processors (like 800 = 1200mgz where as a 933 = 1250mgz) so a retarded pc user like myself can easily see the difference ill be eternally grateful!

si_lance
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2003, 03:29 AM

Originally posted by xkidmidnightx:

p.s. if you could equate it to p.c. processors (like 800 = 1200mgz where as a 933 = 1250mgz) so a retarded pc user like myself can easily see the difference ill be eternally grateful!
it's really hard to compare a RISC chip like the G4 to a CISC chip like the Pentium/Athlon, but I don't think you'll notice the difference in speed IF they both have the memory maxed out. Now, if you were talking Powerbooks then those G4s have much more cache and a faster memory bus so you'd see a diff even if the memory amount were the same. I say go for the 12" for the portability you desire. Good luck.

dracoleb
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2003, 03:35 AM

I don't think there would be much of a difference, but if the 12" form is attractive then obviously you value portability. The 800 is more than adequate for your tasks, perhaps overkill if that's all your doing. The 12" iBook G4 is a very nice machine.
"To create a new standard takes something that's not just a little bit different. It takes something that's really new and captures people's imaginations. Macintosh meets that standard"- Bill Gates

DaBeav
Dec 6, 2003, 04:55 AM

Early benchmarks from MacSpeedZone and BareFeats indicate that there is a difference in performance. However for your stated uses, I would guess that the only appd where you might notice it would be Photoshop and music apps. Other than that, I would guess the difference wouldn't be very noticeable when just writing papers, surfing, etc.

The iBook is Apple's entry-level, but compares better with most mid-range PC laptops. The G4 (which you will want if you'll be using music apps andd Photoshop) will clobber a Celeron-based Wintel and should hold its own against a Athlon Mobile or P4. Against a Pentium-M (Centrino) however... the iBook, or even a PowerBook won't keep up nn terms of raw speed. But, Centrinos can be rather pricey...

But, consider durable construction, long battery life, kick-ass graphics and OS X and the iBook is definitely a contender.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2003, 09:59 AM

I don't know if you know anyone in education, but if you did, I would beg them to buy you a PowerBook. I know $399 isn't anything to sneeze at, but I would consider it for the following reasons:

1) You're almost certain to get at least six more months of life out of the PowerBook.

2) They have a slightly higher resale value (long term)

3) Much better graphics card.

4) The larger L2 cache will make a noticeable difference (perhaps not right away, but when 10.4 (or whatever comes along down the road)

5) Some audio applications can be rather demanding. (If you said that you would only be writing papers, surfing the web, emailing and the occasional photoshop work, I wouldn't even have bothered bringing this up). Photoshop and some audio apps can be power hungry.

6) You said that you would be using your portable LIKE a portable. Although the iBook is VERY solid solution, I feel the PowerBook is even more durable.

7) A larger hard drive is always desirable (even if it's only 10 more GB)

8) The video card of the PowerBook simply outclasses that of the iBook (
http://www.gamersdepot.com/hardware/...orcefx/001.htm )

Again, this is just me. For $399, I would consider either simply upgrading or holding off until I could afford one.

I'm probably going to pick up an iBook (simply because I already have a G4 tower at home, and am saving up for a G5).

$1399
1GHz PowerPC G4
512K L2 cache
12.1-inch TFT Display
1024x768 resolution
256MB DDR266 SDRAM
40GB Ultra ATA/100
NVIDIA GeForce FX
Go 5200 (32MB DDR)
Full size keyboard
10/100BASE-T Ethernet
FireWire 400
AirPort Extreme Ready
Mini-DVI out

vs.

$999.00
800MHz PowerPC G4
256K L2 cache @ 800MHz
12-inch TFT Display
1024x768 resolution
256MB DDR266 SDRAM
30GB Ultra ATA drive
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
Combo Drive
32MB DDR video memory

divermac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2003, 01:32 PM

I've just got a G4 933. Originally I was going to get the 12" but when you see the 12" and 14" side by side there is not a huge difference in the 'footprint'. The 933 has great battery life and standard comes with a bigger HD. You might want to go to a store and see both before you decide.

Forum Links
Forum Rules