Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Help installing OS 9 on a cube with panther already...

Help installing OS 9 on a cube with panther already...
Mobile Mod
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 2, 2004, 07:22 PM

OK, I have a cube with a 40gb drive and when I first installed panther I went in and formatted the drive but I didnt check that little box to install the OS 9 drivers figuring i would never need it. Now I want to run OS 9 and of course my cube wont boot to the OS 9 cd since the drivers arent there. Is there anyway to install these "drivers" without backing up and reformatting my entire drive???

Thanks in advance!
Justin
( Last edited by Mobile Mod; Jun 2, 2004 at 11:00 PM. )
AlPB 15" Rev. C (1.5GHz) | 30GB 5G Apple iPod Video | SE S710a

Apple Certified Portable Technician, Apple Certified Desktop Technician, Apple Certified Help Desk Agent

Mobile Mod  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 2, 2004, 10:45 PM

EDIT

**no longer needed**
( Last edited by Mobile Mod; Jun 2, 2004 at 10:58 PM. )

Apple Certified Portable Technician, Apple Certified Desktop Technician, Apple Certified Help Desk Agent

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2004, 08:39 AM

Not needed? Did you give up? How'd you do it?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Mobile Mod  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2004, 11:19 PM

Sorry, I STILL WANT TO KNOW HOW TO DO THIS. I was talking about that post by itself, not the topic. If anyone knows how to get those drivers loaded I would really appriciate a response.

Thanks all,
Justin

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2004, 07:24 AM

OS9 drivers need to be installed at formatting time. I am not aware of any other way.

If you could clone your OSX setup to a second HD (FW or otherwise) that already is formatted with OS9 drivers, you could copy the system back after reformatting.

I am not aware of any other way...

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 12, 2004, 04:17 PM

That said, the OS 9 drivers refer to that hard drive -- booting from an OS 9 CD is totally independent of how you formatted the hard drive! If you can't boot from the OS 9 CD, it's an unrelated problem. Of course, once you boot from the OS 9 CD, you still wouldn't be able to install to the hard drive that lacks the OS 9 drivers.

If you only need OS 9 for Classic, then you can just install anywhere and copy it over; the OS 9 drivers are NOT needed to run Classic within OS X.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules