Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Making apps

Making apps
jay3ld
Senior User
Jul 11, 2004, 08:54 PM

Ok im am new to this application building but im doing it so i cant try to do other things in the future.

first question -> Are there any tutorials for this so i can learn off of them

second question -> How can i make 2 little text boxs only allow numbers and . in them. i want to make it so you type in a ip here.

third question -> How can i make this these little text boxes make it so the first is ip and secon is port so i can connect to the internet though them.

fourth how can i make after i do those like a chat room??

Thanks for all your help

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2004, 09:16 PM

Making a chat client is probably a little too advanced for a first app. I'd recommend starting small, and reading Apple's Cocoa Documentation.

Brass
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2004, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by jay3ld:
Ok im am new to this application building but im doing it so i cant try to do other things in the future.

first question -> Are there any tutorials for this so i can learn off of them

second question -> How can i make 2 little text boxs only allow numbers and . in them. i want to make it so you type in a ip here.

third question -> How can i make this these little text boxes make it so the first is ip and secon is port so i can connect to the internet though them.

fourth how can i make after i do those like a chat room??

Thanks for all your help
1. Search apple.com. Search MacNN Forums. Search Google.

2. Use NSFormatters. It's a bit difficult to explain in any concise way how they work, but they can be used to specify what string formats are permitted an a text field. See apple's documentation for the details.

3. Not sure what you mean. Do you want somebody to tell you how to write a program that connects to the internet? What internet service/protocol in particular?

jay3ld  (op)
Senior User
Jul 11, 2004, 09:40 PM

Ok i dont know what the NSformaters are..

and i want to make a chat room based on TeamSpeak. Ever hear of TeamSpeak???
http://www.teamspeak.org/

Well they dont got it for mac and iive seen what it looks like and allot of people in the clan im am in are asking me because im a smart kid if i could do this so im staring it. TS for Mac.

thats why im asking those questions so i can get this set up right so i can make it and make my clan members pop down for a while untill they need autokick for mac.

Im going to talk to the teamspeak people and see if its ok for me to try to make this.

larkost
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2004, 10:10 PM

There are a few things standing in the way of this:

hyperb0le is correct and this is way above a beginner's level. You have to deal with deal with networking protocols and way to many possible contention issues. Those are not things you want to tackle first. Start with "hello world" then move on the temperature converter example.

If you have the developer tools installed (if not that is your first task) then an easy intro to Cocoa programing can be found in "/Developer/Documentation/" somewhere (sorry... on my system the path is going to be a little different... for some reason *ahem*). You are looking for

Developing Cocoa Objective-C Applications: A Tutorial (or the very similar Java version).

If someone with a nice clean Panther instal can help him with the path...

The second reason why this project is not going to happen is that it looks like the code is proprietary, and so they are not just going to give it to you. From a quick look around, they seem to have a linux version, and depending on what they have it compiled against (Qt, X11, KDE, etc..) it might be as simple as compiling it on a Mac (that would not necessarily give you a nice looking app, but it might work), or very complicated.

Since they openly state that no-one on the team knows much about mac development, I would not hold my breath.

jay3ld  (op)
Senior User
Jul 11, 2004, 10:30 PM

ok i guess ill look at those.
I got the building down (I Think) But i got to connect buttons and make the ip address and all that send over there

I cant get pic to view???The Pic

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2004, 12:25 AM

First off, there is no need for a Quit button in an application. Secondly, rounded text fields should not be used for normal data entry. Third, there is no simple way to create a chat client using a proprietary protocol. It will require thousands (probably millions) of lines of code. Unless you are an experienced programmer, you would be better off running the Linux version under X11.

Also, the Currency Converter tutorial is a good place to start learning basic objective-c and Cocoa. But I would strongly recommend against attempting an application as complex as a chat client as your first project.

Also, for anyone who's having trouble viewing his image, copy-paste the url into the address bar.

jay3ld  (op)
Senior User
Jul 12, 2004, 11:36 AM

ok.
I was there but i got a problem. The project builder i got only has one choice for a new project while the one they show has like a thousand. Where do i get more of these???

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2004, 11:57 AM

What version of OS X are you running?

jay3ld  (op)
Senior User
Jul 12, 2004, 01:29 PM

Mac os X 10.3.4

I keep my mac up to date with the updates that come out.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2004, 02:41 PM

Mac os X 10.3.4

I keep my mac up to date with the updates that come out.
Try getting a developer account at developer.apple.com and downloading the latest tools. Also, Project Builder shouldn't be used in 10.3, it was replaced with XCode.

davecom
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2004, 03:21 PM

You're getting in way over your head. I don't think you realize how complex programming is. You can't just wake up one day and say "I want to build a chat client." I'm not trying to be mean, but you're literally 6 Months to a Year away from being able to even START making a chat client, and that's only if you really study. Using something like RealBASIC(which costs money) may move that process along more quickly.

hayesk
Jul 13, 2004, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by davecom:
You're getting in way over your head. I don't think you realize how complex programming is. You can't just wake up one day and say "I want to build a chat client." I'm not trying to be mean, but you're literally 6 Months to a Year away from being able to even START making a chat client, and that's only if you really study. Using something like RealBASIC(which costs money) may move that process along more quickly.
Agreed. If you haven't programmed before, you should take a programming course. Also, get some good books to help you learn algrorithms, languages, and only then learn Cocoa and building applications.

sandsl
Senior User
Jul 14, 2004, 06:26 AM

With a website like this I don't think you shoud be allowed to develop apps

"Smart Kid"
Luke

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 06:52 PM

I cant get pic to view???The Pic
Well, first of all, geocities doesn't allow you to link to an image from offsite.

secondly - that's one hell of an overly complex UI. I'm guessing you threw that together in Interface Builder?

Before attempting this, I'd suggest you go back and start with the Cocoa tutorial - then, after that, download the source from any open source cocoa app and try and figure out how it works.

Write small driver apps to get used to working with NIBs and the various views that cocoa offers.

Also, when writing this app, encoding the audio is going to be tricky. If you're basing your code off some freely available source, then be aware of endianness and dependancies on external libraries.

And, for the love of all things good... read the HIG! Your user interface is way more complex than it needs to be.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2004, 08:09 PM

Why is it all people new to developing choose a Brushed Metal window

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2004, 09:31 PM

I don't know, but it can't be much more arbitrary than the reason Apple chooses a brushed metal window.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Forum Links
Forum Rules