Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Standard HDs in iBooks

Standard HDs in iBooks
selowitch
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2004, 08:14 PM

Do the stock hard drives in the iBook G4s spin at 4200rpm? Can they comfortably function with a 5400rpm or 7200rpm replacement drive, or are they likely to get too hot? Would you spend the extra dough to swap out the drive on a brand-new iBook?

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2004, 09:47 PM

I am planning on putting a 60GB or 80GB Fujitsu 5400rpm into my nearly new 12" iBook. Probably a month or two (since my iBook is only 3 weeks old now)

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2004, 02:22 AM

Replacing the hard drive will void the warranty, so I wouldn't recommend it unless the machine is already out of warranty anyway.

drive-thru
Senior User
Sep 13, 2004, 06:40 AM

I put an 80GB 5400rpm Hitachi Travelstar (_HTS548080M9AT00) in my iBook 800 a few weeks ago. It doesn't seem to be any hotter, but if the room is silent I can hear the drive spinning (although it is very quiet).

My stock drive was a 30GB 4500rpm Toshiba (MK3018GAS).
The iBook seems a bit more responsive although I haven't done anything yet which is HDD intensive. My main reason for the upgrade was that I was running out of disk space and the extra speed was just a bonus.

My iBook was out of warranty when I replaced the drive. If you're going to be doing it yourself I would think hard about it - voids warranty and unless you feel confident (and have some experience) you can easily mess up your iBook. I believe you can get an Apple Store or an Apple Service Provider to do the upgrade for you and not void your warranty, but I think you have to buy one of their drives and it can be pretty expensive.

Stinkysteve
Sep 13, 2004, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
Replacing the hard drive will void the warranty, so I wouldn't recommend it unless the machine is already out of warranty anyway.
Is this true if you have it done at an Authorized Service Center?

techra
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2004, 10:02 PM

I am needing to replace my iBook hard drive, it is failing. How much does hard drive replacement run these days on the iBook? It's a white dual usb model from a few years back, 500mhz model. I've left it almost unworking for the past several months and if I can afford it I'd love to get it replaced.

Forum Links
Forum Rules