Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > the "who has a credit card in hand" thread...

the "who has a credit card in hand" thread...
stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2003, 06:21 PM

I was just curious who is sitting by their computer with card in hand, waiting for a 15"....? I'm going back and forth

alpha rays max
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2003, 06:24 PM

Well I bought a 15" back in early August because I needed a new laptop, but I will be waiting by the computer to find out if there are any new displays to go with my wonderful TiBook.

If not, I'm headed over to the Short Pump Apple Store to pick up a 20" Cinema.

Peabo
Senior User
Sep 15, 2003, 06:30 PM

ME, but for a 17"
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

Kahpoosta Kid
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2003, 07:59 PM

15 incher. I'm in my jammies now-soz I can get a good nites sleep...Gotta be up with my cup o' joe and VISA at 4:00AM. ha,aha,aha!!

"You paid twunny tousand dollars fer dat car?? Man,
dat's a lotta kahpoosta!"

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2003, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by stuffedmonkey:
I was just curious who is sitting by their computer with card in hand, waiting for a 15"....? I'm going back and forth
If its not a G5 count me out.

A 15" with the aging G4 will be a relic in a very short time. They've already got the G5 in the dektops. It's justa matter of time until they're in the PBs. The Al 15" G4 is just a very temporary stop gap until the G5 is ready. I can't believe the performace of a speed-bumped AL 15" is going to smoke the 1gig TI.

In addition, a Rev A. of anything from Apple (or anyone else for that matter) is a crapshoot. Let someone else pay Apple $2,000+ for the privledge of being a beta tester.
( Last edited by Kenstee; Sep 15, 2003 at 09:13 PM. )

Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2003, 09:25 PM

Well, I don't have a credit card, but I have enough cash to buy one.

I'll be eagerly awaiting the announcement tomorrow.

If they do come out, then I will down to the campus computer store and order one, else I will

David Hagan
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2003, 09:30 PM

If you figure the Keynote starts at 4:00 AM ET, and runs 90 minutes or longer, the online Apple Store won't be back up again until 5:30-6:00 AM. So don't stress out too much about getting up early.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2003, 09:34 PM

Just so you guys know, the Keynote will be held at 1AM PST for those on the West Coast and 4AM EST for the East Coast...so most Americans will wake up tomorrow to a new PB lineup, hopefully among other things like maybe Panther being released or other good news.

EDIT: Typed this before I saw the previous post.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

BkueKanoodle
Senior User
Sep 15, 2003, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by Kahpoosta Kid:
15 incher. I'm in my jammies now-soz I can get a good nites sleep...Gotta be up with my cup o' joe and VISA at 4:00AM. ha,aha,aha!!

"You paid twunny tousand dollars fer dat car?? Man,
dat's a lotta kahpoosta!"
If I'm not mistaken you can get another hoour of sleep. While GMT is normally 7 hours ahead for me on the west coast, the US is still in Daylight savings time, while GMT is not. Therefore The Keynote doesn;t start until 2 am pacific, which would be 5 am eastern,
15" Macbook Pro 1.83 2 GB RAM
Blackbook 13.3 Powerhouse 2 GB RAM
MacMini Dual Core 2 GB RAM (Sadly running Windows Most of the time)
Numerouse Workstations running windows and Linux. Sorry don't have the specs, I don't pay much attention to them anymore. :)

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2003, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by David Hagan:
...5:30-6:00 AM... So don't stress out too much about getting up early.
hun...?

~BS

Kahpoosta Kid
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2003, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by Kenstee:
If its not a G5 count me out.

A 15" with the aging G4 will be a relic in a very short time. They've already got the G5 in the dektops. It's justa matter of time until they're in the PBs. The Al 15" G4 is just a very temporary stop gap until the G5 is ready. I can't believe the performace of a speed-bumped AL 15" is going to smoke the 1gig TI.

In addition, a Rev A. of anything from Apple (or anyone else for that matter) is a crapshoot. Let someone else pay Apple $2,000+ for the privledge of being a beta tester.
Bah!!....humbug!

Kahpoosta Kid
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2003, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by BkueKanoodle:
If I'm not mistaken you can get another hoour of sleep. While GMT is normally 7 hours ahead for me on the west coast, the US is still in Daylight savings time, while GMT is not. Therefore The Keynote doesn;t start until 2 am pacific, which would be 5 am eastern,
Thanks!! My normal time anyway.

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2003, 10:18 PM

i have credit card in hand...but for a 12" powerbook even if a new revision isn't announced.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2003, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by schk:
i have credit card in hand...but for a 12" powerbook even if a new revision isn't announced.
Ditto. Couldn't have said it better. I can't wait!

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2003, 10:40 PM

I've been waiting a couple of months now and am ready to fire up the computer in the morning and use my wife's educational discount (she is a kindergarten teacher). Can't wait, hope I can get some sleep tonite.

-b

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Sep 15, 2003, 10:43 PM

Well, if my prediction is true, then I will not be buying this time around. Maybe in late 2004 or early 2005. And my GigaBook is already almost a year old.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2003, 11:47 PM

My wife needs a laptop for grad school (started a few weeks ago) - and we decided to wait until now to see what happens with the 15", as that's the form factor she wants.

Even though it's not for me, I'm glad because I'll get full use of my 17" iMac back!

Credit card is ready for abuse (albeit educationally-discounted abuse)...

macndave
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2003, 11:50 PM

Must resist the urge to purchase new PowerBook...800mhz TiBook is good enough...Must not purchase...

1.5Ghz AlBook G4 + 20" Cinema Display
Cable Modem via Airport Express
iSight Enabled @ dmwilsonh

veganpower88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2003, 11:52 PM

Here's to 11011001 who plans to pay with CASH! I feel sorry for you chumps who pay with credit cards. You certainly feed into the I must have it now, I deserve it now ideological crap. Credit Cards are satan in plastic form. Do yourself a favor and invest the money you are paying out in interest. I want to be the man with the money at the end of the month rather than paying the man. Do it like your grandma did it. Save up and pay with CASH.

Typing on a 17" powerbook payed for in cash after saving for it. Don't own a credit card and I never will.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2003, 11:53 PM

Who said everyone pays interest on credit card purchases? I think of them as 3-week long interest free loans, and a method of not having to carry around thousands of dollars of cash (or blank cheques).

Don't own a credit card and I never will.
Strange, but whatever floats your boat...

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2003, 11:57 PM

Exactly Eug. I have the cash in the bank, it is just more convenient to pay with a credit card and then pay off the bill when it comes at the end of the month.

I agree that credit cards with balances not paid off are terrible things and can easily take over your life (and your paycheck). Save that money boys and girls..someday it may be worth something!

-b

veganpower88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2003, 12:07 AM

Good point, however, you pay with a credit car probably every-month, just to turn around and pay it off at the end of the month. There is a margin for error and missing a payment. Plus if you add up the 3 weeks of interest free loans as you put it, and then add those weeks up over a year or more, the place that the money could be sitting all that time (like a savings account, money market, c.d., etc.) could have earned you a substantial amount in interest. (i.e.. making your money work for you, not you working for your money) And finally I don't carry around thousands of dollars. I use a debit card and pay straight out of one of my checking accounts.

*the borrower is slave to the lender*

I have gotten off of the subject. I am looking foward to tomorrow releases also.

BkueKanoodle
Senior User
Sep 16, 2003, 12:09 AM

Not to mention most credit cards provide you with a degree of protection that cash doesn't. For example, many credit cards offer damage insurance (or whatever you want to call it) So if you drop your lovely new pb down the stairs, they will cover it. Try getting that by paying cash.

In addition Credit card companies offer incredible leverage against a company in a disagreement. Most Credit card compnaies will let you do a charge back against the account if you have triedand failed at other means of resolving a dispute with a company.
15" Macbook Pro 1.83 2 GB RAM
Blackbook 13.3 Powerhouse 2 GB RAM
MacMini Dual Core 2 GB RAM (Sadly running Windows Most of the time)
Numerouse Workstations running windows and Linux. Sorry don't have the specs, I don't pay much attention to them anymore. :)

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2003, 12:12 AM

Plus if you add up the 3 weeks of interest free loans as you put it, and then add those weeks up over a year or more, the place that the money could be sitting all that time (like a savings account, money market, c.d., etc.) could have earned you a substantial amount in interest.
Uh, the money IS in the bank. Earning interest. For several weeks. If I had to pay cash it would no longer be in the bank.

Anyways, I'm not buying this time around. I'm going to wait for a faster G4/G5. This Gigabook should last me at least another year.

A PowerBook upgrade every 2-3 years seems reasonable for my purposes.

S|ntax
Sep 16, 2003, 12:17 AM

i timed the sale of my 17 perfect. the auction on ebay ends are 230 tonight. i should have one in my hands by next weekend if they are being released tonight.

for the new 12 of course.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2003, 12:20 AM

Don't own a credit card and I never will. [/B]
Hope you never need to rent a car.

veganpower88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2003, 12:24 AM

Most of you all speak like true americans, brainwashed to believe that credit card companies are on your side. that it is a good think to have debt. and that it is a better idea to leave a balance on a credit card (even if for only a month) then to pay with your own money. You all may think I am insane, but its ok, my being insane has made me very wealthy. My money does a good job at working for me. And I don't need a credit card as I have the money to pay for things without borrowing it. And if you have the money but you still borrow to pay for things, well then I don't need to tell you how stupid you are cause you won't understand. If you have money then speak up, however, I don't take advice from broke people.

veganpower88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2003, 12:26 AM

idaver, there are many car rental companies that excpet debit cards. i rented a car through hurtz earlier this year while mine was being repared, and I used a debit card.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2003, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by veganpower88:
Most of you all speak like true americans, brainwashed to believe that credit card companies are on your side. that it is a good think to have debt. and that it is a better idea to leave a balance on a credit card (even if for only a month) then to pay with your own money. You all may think I am insane, but its ok, my being insane has made me very wealthy. My money does a good job at working for me. And I don't need a credit card as I have the money to pay for things without borrowing it. And if you have the money but you still borrow to pay for things, well then I don't need to tell you how stupid you are cause you won't understand. If you have money then speak up, however, I don't take advice from broke people.

(PS. I'm not American, but I'm sure the Americans would agree with the .)

Buy your PowerBook and be happy, and quit with the credit-is-Satan routine.

alpha rays max
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2003, 12:34 AM

Hey, all this credit card babble is for the Lounge.

Sakino
Senior User
Sep 16, 2003, 12:37 AM

So what is the word?
here is the current time in France.
http://www.worldtimeserver.com/time.asp?locationid=FR

How long is they keynotes going to last, and that time would you say one would be able to order in eastern time?

Rowen
Sep 16, 2003, 12:39 AM

Who here actually beleives its going to be worth buying it now? In all honesty each one of us can wait a few months and we can see the technology around us, the technology that powers the world change and update. So, why chose now to get a G4 Powerbook with the new update... in 6 months we could get maybe a G5, and in that time something cooler will be out and our hearts will go out to that. I believe some of us need to realize that technology is ever changing and the investment, atleast that is to say if put in apple after a major update, would be well worth it even when the new systems have come out.

I have been a few years with my 800mhz upgraded to 1.3ghz AMD duron when the chip fell below 50$, and a Radeon 7500 all-in-wonder. It still plays all the games and does anything I have put it through the gauntlet on... Did I get my money out of it? Yes I did, and now that I waited two years to finally get the balls to save up and get the powerbook when it upgrades I look back and realize yeah I could have gotten 8500, and upgraded motherboards, sound cards, etc... but whats the point in upgrading if you don't even value and use what you have.

Don't get me wrong... I was upgrading monthly a long time ago and now I am going wow, that was dumb, technology will constantly change.

My point is if you're already looking at getting a Powerbook then you've come to the conclusion you want something that works and will last for your money. If you want to complain about updates coming out in a few months then just go back to the PC market where they're even worse and half the time it just doesn't work.

There is my two cents.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2003, 12:46 AM

idaver, there are many car rental companies that excpet debit cards. i rented a car through hurtz earlier this year while mine was being repared, and I used a debit card.
My mistake. Recently a friend wanted to rent a car with a debit card and they wouldn't let him.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2003, 12:49 AM

Originally posted by Rowen:
Who here actually beleives its going to be worth buying it now? In all honesty each one of us can wait a few months and we can see the technology around us, the technology that powers the world change and update. So, why chose now to get a G4 Powerbook with the new update... in 6 months we could get maybe a G5, and in that time something cooler will be out and our hearts will go out to that.
Most of the people who are watching this expected update have already been waiting. That's why. Sure, if you can wait longer, do it. If you really need a PowerBook and have been waiting six months for new models, you tend to get impatient, and want to be the first in line.

machem
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2003, 12:51 AM

Well, I can't use my CC.

It's a very good thing I have a fully funded P.O. ready to fax. Even better than cash, I think you will agree.

Rowen
Sep 16, 2003, 01:28 AM

I don't think you understand... I am going to get my powerbook, I was just mad at all the people who said they've waited 6+ months and now are saying that they shouldn't get it because of it will eventually be updated.

Partisan01
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2003, 02:03 AM

Don't own a credit card and I never will.
Hope you don't ever plan on getting an apartment, or a house or car someday, if you don't have credit you can't get any of those. You can't even get a phone line hooked up with out a credit check with Verizon...

Rowen
Sep 16, 2003, 02:47 AM

I still don't own a credit card.... Debit Card all the way, some people are even accepting bank account numbers as an alternative to credit cards. I started college when I was 16, so yeah. It is truely a pain.

TiSteve
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2003, 03:07 AM

Originally posted by BkueKanoodle:
You are mistaken.

Daylight Savings Time
Pacific = GMT-7
Eastern = GMT-4
Europe (paris) = GMT+2

Standard Time
Pacific = GMT-8
Eastern = GMT-5
Europe (paris) = GMT+1

Except for a week at the start and a week at the end of daylight saving time (due to difference starting/ending times for the clocks going forward/backward), where daylight savings time is concerned, it is always a 9 hour diff from europe time to the west coast of US, and 6 hour diff to the east coast of US.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2003, 03:19 AM

I think you are the one that doesn't understand when it comes to us that pay our balances in full. When you make a purchase with a debit card, the money is taken out of your interest earning account immediately. When I buy with my credit card, I don't have to pay it until the next statement. Therefore, my money is still earning interest in my bank account while yours is not. Also, my credit cards have rewards programs. So, I earn an additional 1-2% just for using my card. In essence, they are paying me to use the card. So, now I've made more money by letting my money sit in my account longer, plus the reward for using the card. Now that's making your money work for you. Plus, I get all the buyers protections that almost all credit cards offer.
Vandelay Industries

rytc
Senior User
Sep 16, 2003, 07:22 AM

Exactly what I was about to write...Also seeing as my bank has online banking, paying my credit card off is as simple as clicking "transfer".

Cheers Ry

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:
I think you are the one that doesn't understand when it comes to us that pay our balances in full. When you make a purchase with a debit card, the money is taken out of your interest earning account immediately. When I buy with my credit card, I don't have to pay it until the next statement. Therefore, my money is still earning interest in my bank account while yours is not. Also, my credit cards have rewards programs. So, I earn an additional 1-2% just for using my card. In essence, they are paying me to use the card. So, now I've made more money by letting my money sit in my account longer, plus the reward for using the card. Now that's making your money work for you. Plus, I get all the buyers protections that almost all credit cards offer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules