Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Installing G5 MacOSX on iBook

Installing G5 MacOSX on iBook
indigoimac
Senior User
Jul 28, 2005, 10:02 AM

I have a G5 Panther install disk from someone who upgraded to tiger would it be possible to install this on my G3 iBook? I know the G5 is 64-bit, yada, yada, yada but there must be a way to get it to work! Thanks, indigo
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2005, 10:14 AM

Im not sure if this is against the EULA but its possible.

OSX install disks are universal installs and will work with any computer. That said, the disks that came with the G5 are likely to be restore disks and not installer disks. These disks will not work in your iBook. You can however mount your iBook in Firewire Target Disk mode (by holding T at boot and connecting it to the G5 with a firewire cable) and selecting the iBook HD in the installer running on the G5.

indigoimac  (op)
Senior User
Jul 28, 2005, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by ShotgunEd
Im not sure if this is against the EULA but its possible.

OSX install disks are universal installs and will work with any computer. That said, the disks that came with the G5 are likely to be restore disks and not installer disks. These disks will not work in your iBook. You can however mount your iBook in Firewire Target Disk mode (by holding T at boot and connecting it to the G5 with a firewire cable) and selecting the iBook HD in the installer running on the G5.
I don't know if they're restore disks but they are 2 DVDs that's a lot of data for just a restore disk

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2005, 10:31 AM

just a restore disk?

The restore disks will be a full OS install as well as all the applications that come bundled with the G5. A restore disk will therefore have more data than a retail installer disk.

indigoimac  (op)
Senior User
Jul 28, 2005, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by ShotgunEd
just a restore disk?

The restore disks will be a full OS install as well as all the applications that come bundled with the G5. A restore disk will therefore have more data than a retail installer disk.
True but this is all that the machines come w/ these days.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2005, 10:58 AM

The DVD will only boot a G5 tower. However, from there, you can install it onto any machine you want as long as you're willing to sacrifice a little piece of your soul.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

indigoimac  (op)
Senior User
Jul 28, 2005, 04:52 PM

Well I gave it a shot and the iBook boots into the installer fine, but after it examines package contents it says that the bundled applications cannot be installed on this machine, any ideas. Thanks!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2005, 05:09 PM

You might try reading what we told you. The DVD only works in a G5.
Chuck
___

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 28, 2005, 05:19 PM

Except that the PM G5 discs will boot any other compatible Mac. I have used copied G5 DVDs extensively to save time at clients who only have the CD installs.

The restore discs have gotten pickier, I think.

tooki

indigoimac  (op)
Senior User
Jul 28, 2005, 05:20 PM

BUT the iBook still boots of the DVD it just won't install, which is prolly what you were saying but anyway how do I do this?

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2005, 05:12 AM

Read the second post in this thread.

The G5 disc will NOT install the software onto an iBook when you boot the iBook off it. You need to boot a G5 off the restore disk, hook up your iBook via firewire, boot the iBook will holding T and selecting the iBook hard disk in the installer ON THE G5.

My post couldn't have been clearer, you just aren't reading it.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 29, 2005, 11:20 AM

Every G5 disc I've used has simply booted and installed directly on any compatible hardware.

Perhaps Apple is using some discs that check; I've never encountered one. :shrug:

As for the Target Disk Mode method: beware that it may not install what you want, since it's basing the install on the G5's configuration, not the iBook's. It'll work, but it's not recommended.

If possible, use a retail disc.

tooki

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 29, 2005, 12:05 PM

Let's see...A G5 disc may include G5-specific apps, mightn't it? An iBook has at best a G4 processor, NOT a G5 (darn the luck!), so any G5-specific app would not install on an iBook. So couldn't the installer see that the machine it's running on has the wrong processor for the software it wants to install and then give up because of that? It makes a lot of sense to me...

Anyway, what tooki said; get the retail disc, which is designed to handle and install on ANY Mac.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2005, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
Every G5 disc I've used has simply booted and installed directly on any compatible hardware.

Perhaps Apple is using some discs that check; I've never encountered one. :shrug:
All the ones at my work check. I know because somebody threw away the retail box, and we needed to reinstall a system whose disk had gotten corrupted, but the G5 disks wouldn't do it. Unless I'm just very prematurely senile.
Chuck
___

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jul 29, 2005, 01:45 PM

I may be wrong but, I'm almost positive you have the right to install OS X Tiger on one Desktop and one Laptop as per the license agreement. As for how to do this from your DVD's, this has been discussed and answered quite well.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 29, 2005, 02:02 PM

With Tiger, this advantage is moot, but with Panther, I had the retail CD version, but it was just a lot less hassle to use a single DVD. Installing from different media is OK as long as you have a valid license.

tooki

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2005, 02:20 PM

I installed Tiger on a rev. A 12" PowerBook via my iMac G5 just fine. Everything works perfectly, so I don't think those discs are particularly processor-specific. You just have to do what was posted (several times) and install it through target disk mode.

"I start fires!"

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2005, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by tooki

As for the Target Disk Mode method: beware that it may not install what you want, since it's basing the install on the G5's configuration, not the iBook's. It'll work, but it's not recommended.

If possible, use a retail disc.

tooki
I know that my friend's iMac G5 restore disks will boot his Powerbook, but it won't let you install.

As for the target disk mode, all installs of OSX are universal as far as i know. Thats why you can take the hard disk out of a Powerbook and book a G4 Tower with it, at least this has worked for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules