Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Just my Mac not going to sleep?

Just my Mac not going to sleep?
Groovy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2005, 12:09 PM

I have a dual G5 and I run it 24/7 but i never used to put it into sleep mode after an inactive time limit until this this week.
The reason I tried finally is we moved into a new bigger house on June 1st and now i have a dedicated second floor computer
room but the problem, 1 mac and 1 PC in that room is running 24/7 HOT HOT HOT. The old house had AC window units in
each room, this house has central so i can't crank up the AC just 1 room like i could old house. I plan to get a window unit just
for the computer room but in the short term i want to get everything to sleep after 15 minute of inactivity.

My Dual G5 I would do a restart and it would not go to sleep even after just letting it boot and sit there. It would sleep
if i forced it via the sleep menu so i was totally scratching my head because I ran NOTHING after the restart. No internet
apps running at all. Nothing should be blocking inactive use and then go to sleep mode.

Anyway... I think i finally found out why my Dual G5 will not go to sleep but was hoping to get some confirmation
from others. Total what the heck moment, i decide to unmount the smb volume my over my LAN from the PC which
i have a script AUTO mount on boot/login. And 15 minutes later SLEEP!

So can anyone here confirm this behavior? Does anyone know WHY a simple smb mount would stop sleep
when the mount is going unused? (well except for maybe some simple are you still there traffic the mac is sending out)

if this is truly the problem does anyone know how to override OSX default behavior and have it sleep even when
there is a smb mount?

I guess if there is no easy way to do this I will have to have a script run after 15 minutes of inactivity to first
unmount the smb volume. grrr....

thoughts?
( Last edited by Groovy; Jul 29, 2005 at 12:15 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules