Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > seti cli on a 333PII

seti cli on a 333PII
billybob128
Senior User
Aug 6, 2003, 01:41 PM

is this possible or is the pachine too slow its running win 98 and i would hav to download the stuff onto my mac and burn them then put it on the PC cause it has no net connection at the moment (id also need to cache or save bout 50 units to see the comp through till i got some sort of connection for it)

is all this possible or am i living in a dream world?

MacbookPro dual 2Ghz 1GB Ram 128 Graphics

OneMacGuy
Senior User
Aug 6, 2003, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by billybob128:
is this possible or is the pachine too slow its running win 98 and i would hav to download the stuff onto my mac and burn them then put it on the PC cause it has no net connection at the moment (id also need to cache or save bout 50 units to see the comp through till i got some sort of connection for it)

is all this possible or am i living in a dream world?
You can do this with dFold, or Distributed Folding fairly easily. The dFold client will run on that machine and will run slow enough that it may well take 2-3 weeks to finish up before it needs an internet connection.

SETI can cache work units, too. But you will need a third party utility to download and cache the work units.

billybob128  (op)
Senior User
Aug 6, 2003, 02:38 PM

do you no by any chance where i could get that from?

OneMacGuy
Senior User
Aug 6, 2003, 03:21 PM

do you no by any chance where i could get that from?
Try this link:

http://download.com.com/3002-2054-9586525.html?tag=dir

It is for a program called Seti Buffer. It will buffer work units for upload later. You should still consider running the dFold client instead. It does do something useful for real world problems, like finding cures for disease, unlike SETI that just wastes electricity. The dFold client also buffers up to 250 generations automatically.

billybob128  (op)
Senior User
Aug 6, 2003, 03:47 PM

hmm yes i will use it for dFold then my only problem is that the shi* windoze machine wont read a CD burnt off my iBook with a windoze file on it

i think the old modem is arond somewhere maybe that would let me ethernet up to my iBook

OneMacGuy
Senior User
Aug 6, 2003, 10:34 PM

hmm yes i will use it for dFold then my only problem is that the shi* windoze machine wont read a CD burnt off my iBook with a windoze file on it

i think the old modem is arond somewhere maybe that would let me ethernet up to my iBook
If you have Roxio Toast on your iBook, you can specify the format the cd for ISO9660 and it will be readable by the PC. If you do not have Toast, I do not believe that the built in Apple software will let you change the format type.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 7, 2003, 02:04 AM

First, please relax with the language. You don't need to curse, and it's annoying to readers.
Now, if that machine isn't online at all, I wouldn't bother with DC for it. DF, for example, needs to connect at least once a month, or it's work is useless.
SETI is better, but it still does need to connect.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Aydon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2003, 03:52 AM

I would recommend SETIDriver. This links in nicely with SETI CLI and also with SETI Spy.

MY PII 266 is currently running Windows XP and SETI CLI under SETI Driver - I cache around 10 units and they take longer than a week to progress - but every WU counts!

Forum Links
Forum Rules