Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac shuts down when it goes to sleep

iMac shuts down when it goes to sleep
Obi Wan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2006, 08:17 AM

Hi everybody. I'm having a bit of trouble with my iMac. First of all, it's a G5 with 2.0 GB of facory installed RAM, and running OSX 10.4. I bought it barely used from a friend and when I first got it in the spring it shut down instead of going to sleep a couple of times. It wasn't a big deal, since it was overnight and not in use. Over the past few days however, it has started doing this again, and much more aggressively.

It seems that it doesn't go to sleep at all anymore. It just shuts down. If you put it to sleep it will shut down. If it goes to sleep on its own, it shuts down. I went into the preferences panel and set it so it never goes to sleep and the monitor shuts down after 2 hours. I left it and went back to it after about 20 minutes and it had shut down. : This happened repeatedly last night, causing me to waste 6 or 7 DVD-R, as I was attempting to burn one and it would shut down during the burning process. So this was me last night ->

As long as it's in use, there's no problem, but if you leave it alone for any length of time over say 20 minutes it seems that it's going to shut down regardless of your energy saving settings. And it doesn't seem to sleep at all anymore.

I do lots of video work and between burning DVDs and rendering video, I frequently need to leave the computer alone and let it do its thing. If it's going to shut down every time I leave it alone, then that makes my work impossible, or at least extremely annoying as I will have to run back and forth every 10 minutes to jiggle the mouse to make sure it doesn't go to sleep.

Anyone know what might be causing this or how to fix it? Thanks so much!

Obi Wan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2006, 09:42 AM

If anyone else has a problem with something like this, I recommend checking out this link about the Apple Repair Extension Program.

Apple - Support - iMac G5 Repair Extension Program for Video and Power Issues

As it turns out, my iMac was one of the Rev. A iMacs and Apple is doing the repair for free. If your computer is having sleep issues, check the link above and compare the information there with your iMac's serial number. It may very well be one of the ones that's effected, and you could get it repaired for free. My repair ended up being $953 so this could save you a lot of money. Look into it if you're having sleep issues with your iMac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules