Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can I re-boot from a Time Machine external HD?

Can I re-boot from a Time Machine external HD?
jretzner
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2008, 05:12 PM

When I reboot my external HDs by holding down the <option> key while rebooting, the HD containing the SuperDuper backup is recognized and can be selected to reboot. The Time Machine HD isn't recognized however. Both HDs are daisy chained to the FireWire port of my Mac. Is there a way to reboot from the Time Machine HD and use it to restore my internal HD if that need ever occurred?

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2008, 05:39 PM

Yes. A Time Machine volume by default isn't a bootable drive, at least not as far as the startup is concerned.

To reboot from a Time Machine volume, you need to use your Leopard Install DVD, as if you were doing a fresh install of OS X. At some point when you're going through there it will ask you if you wish to install OS X fresh, or use a backup from a Time Machine volume.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2008, 05:48 PM

If you look at the Time Machine folder contents, you'll see they don't match the structure of a normal volume. You can, however, install OS X on to a Time Machine partition so that it is also bootable.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

jretzner  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2008, 06:23 PM

Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of installing an OS on a partition to make that HD bootable.

Forum Links
Forum Rules