Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Spam Reporting Contest Results!

Spam Reporting Contest Results! (Page 2)
Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 5, 2010, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
If only you knew what other powers I possess.
I don’t know, but I suspect they involve cheeseburgers and/or friees.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2010, 11:43 PM

Obviously they involve cheeseburgers. But you have no idea what I can do with a cheeseburger, believe me.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2010, 12:09 AM

BTW, turtle, March is your chance. I spent the first week of this month at a busy conference and didn't have time to look in a whole lot. Hope in the meantime you made good use of the report button and got yourself pole position for the March contest.
Not really, I'm going to be traveling overseas for two weeks, with limited time online.

-t

reader50
Administrator
Mar 6, 2010, 01:14 AM

I've noticed that often times when I catch one, the spammer and I are the only people online. Either spammers travel a lot too or they're just really good at knowing when you guys are all tucked away.
I've noticed this too. They start posting shortly after my last logoff for the night, which is weird because my logoff time varies by hours.

Oreo used to catch a ton, his timezone is favorable for spammers avoiding most of the staff. But Oreo has been busier than usual in the real world for a few months. Maybe we should advertise a Mod opening based on time zone.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2010, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I've noticed this too. They start posting shortly after my last logoff for the night, which is weird because my logoff time varies by hours.

Oreo used to catch a ton, his timezone is favorable for spammers avoiding most of the staff. But Oreo has been busier than usual in the real world for a few months. Maybe we should advertise a Mod opening based on time zone.
Nah, you guys are good. Simon is doing all the work, why fix it ?

-t

Ω
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2010, 05:58 AM

Simon is the spammer.

QED
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

Andy8
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2010, 09:25 AM

I am up for the Asian time zones if needed

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2010, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ω View Post
Simon is the spammer.

QED
You moron! You weren't supposed to tell!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2010, 12:38 PM

Maybe we should advertise a Mod opening based on time zone.
No, don't do that! Leave the spam reporting to us. It's working fine the way it is. Chose mods according to their potential mod skills, not time zones. It seems right now most of the mods are doing a very good job and there's no turkey among you. Keep it that way.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Mar 7, 2010, 06:27 PM

Turtle and Oísin TIED for 3rd in February. Very important that we note this: ties are ties, and names are listed alphabetically only due to my sorting system (unfortunately, it's Word, because I know how to make it tap dance on command).

I used to catch tons of spammers; I'd get to school quite early to avoid traffic and get a nice parking spot, so I'd sit with my coffee and catch up on the boards from before 7am Central to almost 9. (Life? What life? I was a student!) But somewhere during the spring semester last year, the spammers shifted times. Now, instead of catching them (or fielding reports almost immediately on the spammer's posting), I get a couple of reports and maybe one or two spammers a week. The spam reports are also from earlier in the day-pretty much overnight. It's weird. I think we just all need to be vigilant, and to enjoy toasting the sellers posting as members...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Apr 2, 2010, 08:16 AM

I'll get the spam reporting data collected and analyzed over the weekend-it's been a crazy week for me.

And thanks for spotting and reporting the offensive offenders!

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Apr 4, 2010, 09:58 AM

March Results:

Simon ………….9
Spheric Harlot …8
turtle777 ……….5
Oisín …………..4
Andy8 …………2
Big Mac ……….2
ChrisF …………2
dedalus ………...2
imitchellg5 …….2
auto_immune ….1
CharlesS ……….1
mdc …………….1
msuper69 ………1
Rumor …………1

60 valid spam reports
46 individual spammers
4 “announcement” posts in iPhone Apps forum that are on the watch list (one spammer was reported this way)

Good work, folks!

(Sorry about the formatting-I'm still working on something that works consistently for leaders or something else that makes the numbers line up after the names...)

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 4, 2010, 10:04 AM

Are tabs collapsed ?

Edit: Yep.

Code:
Are tabs collapsed in code ?
Edit: Nope. Just use that, then.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2010, 12:56 PM

Thanks Glenn.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2010, 02:22 AM

Thanks for the update, Glenn.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
May 8, 2010, 07:54 AM

Well here it is the second weekend in May and I don't have any updates for April's spam reports. I spent the last week of April pretty darn sick, and I'm only now just getting over it, so I'm behind on a lot of things. I will get to it...but don't bet on seeing anything until next weekend.

Sorry about the delay, and especially sorry about the reason.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2010, 07:56 AM

That's alright. I hope you get better soon.

We all know that Simon is going to be #1 until you make him mod

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2010, 12:57 PM

Hehe. Not gonna happen, turtle.

No problem, Glenn. Get well soon.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
May 15, 2010, 07:58 AM

April's Results!
We had 76 reports of 64 individual spammers and a lot of participation. The standings:
Simon ...............13
turtle777 ...............9
Andy8 ...............8
Spheric Harlot ...............8
Big Mac ...............5
boy8cookie ...............3
Rumor ...............3
-Q- ...............2
CharlesS ...............2
macaddict0001 ...............2
AKcrab ...............1
Brien ...............1
dedalus ...............1
Doofy ...............1
Eug ...............1
imitchellg5 ...............1
mackandproud ...............1
Person Man ...............1
subego ...............1

Special mention must be given to spammer "Skin Care" who reported him/herself before being reported by Spheric Harlot (but not much before). Of course Spheric got credit for his report too, but I think some spammers are more "special" than others...

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 15, 2010, 08:19 AM

I knew it, not a single one for me!

Why won’t the spammers ever spam on days when I’m up early?

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2010, 08:50 AM

Now where's that cheeseburger?

Andy8
Mac Elite
May 15, 2010, 09:53 AM

Many thanks Glenn.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2010, 01:15 PM

What did Skin Care say in the report?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2010, 01:54 PM

Simon slays us all.

reader50
Administrator
May 15, 2010, 05:17 PM

Skin Care was a sig spammer from Pakistan. He / She / It reported a random post by besson3c. Skin Care eventually figured out how to post, and posted substantially the same message in a thread.

This was the reason given for reporting besson's post:
Originally Reported by Skin Care:

I had some issues that kept me away from it, but I found a theme I like (Silvermel) and a useful extension called 'Change quote and reply format.

Cold Warrior
May 15, 2010, 05:29 PM

lol, that's familiar.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
May 15, 2010, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
I knew it, not a single one for me!

Why won’t the spammers ever spam on days when I’m up early?
You were close on a number of them. Just not quite as fast as someone else. Cheer up, we need all the reports people file.

Now where's that cheeseburger?
Kitty got it. Sorry.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
May 22, 2010, 09:55 AM

We've gotten a few reports via PMs about such things as sig-spammers and various other deviousness (SEO and such) by not-really-member posters. So far, some PM reports have gone to reader50, probably through the admin channels. I'll ask my contestants to make sure I get these reports by sending me a PM as well. It wouldn't hurt to use the standard report channels too, so I can give credit to the right member when there may be multiple reports of the same unruly party.

Let's see how this works through June. If we can come up with a better mechanism, we will, but for now, use the standard report button and give a nice, understandable reason for the report ("sig spammer" or "referral spam" or the like works fine), and use any other means after that-I'll be able to compare who/what/when from the reports and PMs and give credit for the kills reports where credit is due.

I hope to have May's reports ready before June 5. Wish me luck!

Andy8
Mac Elite
May 22, 2010, 10:01 AM

Shall direct all kinds of spam your way Glenn

reader50
Administrator
May 22, 2010, 03:37 PM

This refers to what we call SEO (Search Engine Optimization) Spammers who have no posts. They fill in biography info ads and links that will appear on their profile page. Search engines find the posting, and increase the search relevance of that info.

Since such a spammer never posts, it is impossible for a member to Report 'him'. The Report link only appears on posts. Andy8 solved this by sending a PM each time to myself. Since Glenn compiles the banning stats from the monthly Reports, I have to forward each PM to him for the credit to get into the stats.

It is simpler to PM Glenn directly when anyone catches an unposted spammer. This could be interesting. Especially if a few hundred were found each month.

in practice, only a handful have been found by members - glenn is fairly safe.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
May 22, 2010, 05:03 PM

in practice, only a handful have been found by members - glenn is fairly safe.
Yeah, our "SEO flood" was a pretty hairy experience, but it was all staff handling it. But sometimes one of 'em actually posts once to make sure they're visible, and those CAN be reported.

Basically I would like anyone who notices a spammy post to report it, and if they find something other than a post that smells spammy, PM me.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2010, 04:00 PM

Interesting. I wasn't aware of that devious type of spam. There should be a default that makes a new account's biography invisible until there's at least one post on the account, don't you think?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
May 23, 2010, 08:18 PM

Big Mac, that's a very good idea. I just don't know if vBull supports that-even with all the tweaks reader50 has added to make it work better for us.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2010, 05:30 AM

Yeah, it seems vBulletin is not very flexible when it comes to fight spammers.

I guess the developers never saw that kind of epidemic coming.

-t

reader50
Administrator
May 24, 2010, 07:02 AM

There's no direct control for such a thing. But I'd already coded a similar limit into the templates for banned members. It hides their extra profile data unless there are 10+ posts remaining. This prevents it from affecting real members on ban or tempban.

The main argument against extending this to regular members is a desire not to punish innocent lurkers.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2010, 07:04 AM

There's no direct control for such a thing. But I'd already coded a similar limit into the templates for banned members. It hides their extra profile data unless there are 10+ posts remaining. This prevents it from affecting real members on ban or tempban.

The main argument against extending this to regular members is a desire not to punish innocent lurkers.
I don't see why a lurker (who registered but never posted) would "need" his profile to be public. What for ?

I'd say make the 10+ posts rule applicable to everyone.

-t

Andy8
Mac Elite
May 24, 2010, 06:48 PM

New form of spam popped up this morning for me, new members sending their spam via private message here.

Cold Warrior
May 24, 2010, 08:00 PM

With pm spam, I'd just forward it to a couple mods of your choice.

Andy8
Mac Elite
May 24, 2010, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
With pm spam, I'd just forward it to a couple mods of your choice.
Have done so, Thanks

reader50
Administrator
May 24, 2010, 09:21 PM

PM spam has happened before. It fact, it was more interesting before. Instead of sending spam, they PM'd death threats to random members.

I've rehosted the image missing from the linked thread. MacNN looked a little different back then.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
May 24, 2010, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
Have done so, Thanks
And I hope all involved will include me on that list of who gets the messages forwarded to-as you did. Stuff Posing As Meat is the same whatever medium it comes through, and I'm considering these things as the same as "joenonenglishspeaker" with his shill for phones from Hong Kong...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2010, 09:45 PM

PM spam has happened before. It fact, it was more interesting before. Instead of sending spam, they PM'd death threats to random members.

I've rehosted the image missing from the linked thread. MacNN looked a little different back then.
That's both disturbing and darkly amusing. I wonder what product a spammer could sell in conjunction with that type of come on. Life insurance?

I agree with turtle that lurkers don't need biographies. If a user never posts, I can't imagine too many people would be interested in that user's biography details anyway. Right?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Andy8
Mac Elite
May 24, 2010, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I agree with turtle that lurkers don't need biographies. If a user never posts, I can't imagine too many people would be interested in that user's biography details anyway. Right?
Perhaps lurkers can not add a sig or bio until they have posted over a certain amount.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2010, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Thirded. Ten posts before you can display bio info seems a reasonable compromise.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 25, 2010, 01:48 PM

Kudos to this spammer, however, for actually using the term ‘motherf*cking’ (or rather, “mather fukcen”) in its literal sense (“your mather fukcen father”).

reader50
Administrator
May 27, 2010, 04:04 PM

Members may get a bunch of spam PMs from any of the following handles:

Ipodnut
phg
phg1
phgfutures
phgfutures1

They were all registered on the same IP this morning, for sending iPod-related spam to members. They got caught because they PM'd some members who had invalid email addresses, causing the notifications to bounce back to the admin box.

Normally when I get a bounce, I PM the member in question suggesting they update their email. In this case, I won't be bothering - it was helpful.

Andy8
Mac Elite
May 27, 2010, 06:39 PM

Can we limit fresh registered members (who have not posted at all) from sending PMs and not being able to see who is online?

John Greene
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2010, 07:25 PM

I posted an genuine article and "Spam Reported" instantly by some clown. If this is what you are all celebrating here then it would seem to me that Spam Catchers have become Spammers ... lost your ability to read topics for interest and are in danger of being the attrition to a good forum.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
May 29, 2010, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by John Greene View Post
I posted an genuine article and "Spam Reported" instantly by some clown. If this is what you are all celebrating here then it would seem to me that Spam Catchers have become Spammers ... lost your ability to read topics for interest and are in danger of being the attrition to a good forum.
It has been addressed. Your post remains. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Welcome to the forums.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
May 29, 2010, 11:15 PM

It would also be a good idea to not assume that, because someone disagrees with you and is overzealous about reporting what he considers spam, he is a "clown." We work hard at establishing and maintaining some modicum of mutual respect.

Take it a bit easy, don't take early reactions personally (hey, we really don't know you yet!), and learn about us. This forum is NOT like any other online. We work hard to keep it that way, too. One thing we do is harshly and vigorously deal with spammers, and sometimes our members are more ready to call a post spam than is warranted. But we aren't flooded with ads for various enlargement devices and medications, nor are we overwhelmed by people trying to sell us Windows software that does a poor job of tasks that free OS X software does...

Forum Links
Forum Rules