Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Core i3 iMac?

Core i3 iMac?
driven
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2010, 01:51 PM

I am considering purchasing an iMac for the family. (I'd also use it for development, iPhoto and iTunes.)

All of my other work computers are Core i5 and Core i7 machines.

How worthy is the Core i3? With 8GB of RAM would it be useful for these tasks for a 3-5 year timeline? Or isn't it worth even bothering with? I've never used the Core i3, so I don't have a frame a reference.

Thanks in advance.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

P
Nov 24, 2010, 05:09 PM

The desktop i3 is very similar to the dualcore i5 (in ie Macbook Pro) - the only difference is the lack of turbo. If the reference is a dualcore i5, then it will be very similar. It's faster than a Core 2 of similar clockspeed on any reasonable task. I wouldn't say that it's too slow to bother with. Obviously a quad is way faster, but if the main task is surfing, email, playing music and some light photoediting, I'd say you're fine.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2010, 06:01 PM

P- Thanks. Main task is iPhoto, iMovie, VMware and XCode.

My work PC is a Core i7, albeit the dual core version. My work Mac is a 2.4Ghz Core i5, which is adequate, and OSX helps in comparison with Windows 7.

Sounds like it might be worth ordering. I'm asking because I custom order (RAM, HDD) and you can't return custom orders if you aren't happy.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2010, 11:42 AM

I really really like my i3 iMac. I'd purchased the C2D about two weeks before the i3 came out and was able to sell it with only a $100 loss. It's pretty powerful, I use it for Aperture and AfterEffects and it handles it with ease. I only have 4Gb of RAM at this point too.

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2010, 12:02 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I originally had planned on a 27" Core i5, but I'm thinking for what I'm doing I can save some money with the 21.5" Core i3. (Probably with 8GB though.) It sounds as if this will do the tasks I need with ease, and save me some money for future upgrades. (and the smaller display will let me get away with a less powerful video card).
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2010, 01:05 AM

Well, what types of Upgrades are you thinking of? The iMac has very, very few upgrade options -- so no new CPU, or GPU for example.

I'd suggest moving up to an i5 CPU -- for a few more sawbacks, you'll probably get another year or two of life out of it (and you'll have a snappier experience over that period of time).

P
Dec 12, 2010, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by dimmer View Post
Well, what types of Upgrades are you thinking of? The iMac has very, very few upgrade options -- so no new CPU, or GPU for example.

I'd suggest moving up to an i5 CPU -- for a few more sawbacks, you'll probably get another year or two of life out of it (and you'll have a snappier experience over that period of time).
What are you recommending, a dualcore i5 with the 21.5"er, or a quadcore i5 with the 27"? A dualcore i5 CPU is probably the worst bang-for-buck in the iMac line right now. Moving up to the quadcore i5 makes sense if you need performance, but that means a 27" screen and a lot more money.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2010, 01:53 AM

I was also thinking that the money I save with a Core i3 21.5" could be better utilized later for a bigger/better system or accessories. (Drive space is cheap if you don't mind external drives.)

How upgradable is the RAM in these new iMacs?
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

P
Dec 14, 2010, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
I was also thinking that the money I save with a Core i3 21.5" could be better utilized later for a bigger/better system or accessories. (Drive space is cheap if you don't mind external drives.)

How upgradable is the RAM in these new iMacs?
Better then ever - which admittedly doesn't say much. Open one lid on the bottom to add DIMMs. There is now 4 slots, and 2 are filled with 2GB each. RAM should be upgraded in pairs for ideal performance. You need DDR3-1333 SO-DIMMs, and max RAM is 16 GB (4GB in each slot).

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2010, 04:19 PM

Cool. Thanks. Has anyone else here chosen a 21.5" over a 27" ? What was your reasons? (If they were for money or other reasons?)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Patrick
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2010, 09:27 PM

I'm thinking about upgrading to a new iMac, and will probably go with the 21.5". Currently I've got a 20" G5, and think it's a good size. The 27 would take up too much space on my desk, and I figure I don't really have any need for the better performance in the more expensive models - what I've got now still seems fast enough for my needs (1.8 GHz G5), and the new one will be plenty faster anyway.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2010, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
Cool. Thanks. Has anyone else here chosen a 21.5" over a 27" ? What was your reasons? (If they were for money or other reasons?)
I chose it over the 27" mostly because, while I like the 27" screen size, I'd rather go with two smaller monitors. My school has 27" iMacs and I simply just find them too big.

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2010, 02:38 AM

Thanks all. Most appreciated.

At the risk of starting to go off-topic: I really wish the Mac Mini came with an option of a bit of a faster processor and/or video card. I have a bunch of mid-high level monitors laying around and I love the form-factor of the mini. (As I look longingly at my old G4 Cube sitting by itself on a shelf.) If so, this would be a no-brainer.
( Last edited by driven; Dec 15, 2010 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Added another thought.)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Forum Links
Forum Rules