Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Search broken + OT fonts?

Search broken + OT fonts?
Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 7, 2005, 07:32 AM

Okay, so apparently the search function is broken or something.

Whenever I try to do a search, I just get this message instead:

There seems to have been a slight problem with the MacNN Forums database.
Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.
(Followed by the normal mail-has-been-sent-to-admins stuff)

So, instead I'll ask what I wanted to find out here:

I'll have to install some fonts on a school computer later today, a Mac. They're Type1 fonts and OpenType fonts, and I just wanted to know if there are any specific little hoops I have to jump through to get the OpenType fonts installed, or if they just work like any other font. (I know I should probably have posted this in another forum, but I have to leave in 30 mins, so I'm sort of in a hurry)

TIA

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Mar 7, 2005, 07:46 AM

OT fonts are cross-platform, no hoops to jump through. Simply dump them in the "Fonts" folder inside your "Library" folder. T1 fonts are not cross-platform - for printshop quality you should use the appropriate version (Mac/PC), if you only need them for a presentation (Keynote, PowerPoint or similar) you could convert them using a utility like TransType (rather pricey, though).

HTH

Oisín  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 7, 2005, 07:54 AM

Originally posted by effgee:
T1 fonts are not cross-platform - for printshop quality you should use the appropriate version (Mac/PC), if you only need them for a presentation (Keynote, PowerPoint or similar) you could convert them using a utility like TransType (rather pricey, though).
Oh, I thought Type1 was cross-platform... I only have the Windows variant...

What I need it for is just a single Word document, so nothing fancy at all, I just need to get the same fonts on the Mac as I've used here on my Windows laptop. Maybe I'll just change the Type1 font to another OT font instead...

Forum Links
Forum Rules