Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Dirt Cheap Digital Camera?

Dirt Cheap Digital Camera?
Paco500
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2007, 06:55 AM

There are a bunch of very inexpensive digital cameras out there, often branded disney, barbie or the like, that would be perfect for my 4 year old daughter that likes to take pictures with my phone. I've bought a few in the past hoping, despite what it says on the label, that it will work with a mac. Which they didn't.

Any one know of any of these "disposable" digital cameras that will work with a mac? Something plastic- not easily breakable, would be ideal.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2007, 08:31 AM

I'd look for one that uses a memory card and use the jpg format. That way it will work the mac.

I'm not familiar with these inexpensive digital cameras. Do they use memory cards or do you hook them directly up to a computer?

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 18, 2007, 10:46 AM

Some take memory cards, so that would be a good choice to look for. A couple of years ago my son got a Polaroid branded digital camera that is great for snapshots (and small too), but it's not as inexpensive as the Barbie branded kind. I'm unfamiliar with what's on the market here in the States, let alone in the UK, but looking for JPEG formatting and a removable memory card (preferably an SD card) are things to look for.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2007, 12:24 PM

Memory cards is (are?) the way to go, after researching & trying out several, I bought a few £20 digital cameras taking 1gb SD cards off ebay, 5Mp, great pics.

Odys Slim 5L.

I use them @ 3Mp, daylight, no flash, after comprehensive tests.

You just need to keep camera still until image is "wiped" off screen, otherwise you get a 35mm focal plane effect.

Failing that, you could always buy yourself a new phone !
( Last edited by MacNNUK; Dec 18, 2007 at 12:44 PM. )

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2007, 11:42 PM

Stores in SD cards, has rechargeable Li-Ion battery, charging dock, OSX compatible, plays MP3s, captures video. Will probably turn your daughter into a gadget loving freak.
Polaroid iZone 550 5.0 MP Digital Camera : Cameras & Optics from Overstock.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules