Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > End of MacWorld

End of MacWorld
osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2008, 06:05 PM

http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/16/a...liver-keynote/

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008/12/16macworld.html

Apple Announces Its Last Year at Macworld
and Steve won't deliver the keynote.

I never thought I would see this day.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 16, 2008, 06:08 PM

Wow...I wonder what really led up to this decision.

fire3500
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2008, 06:20 PM

Health reasons?

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2008, 06:20 PM

Apple thinks that MacWorld served a minor purpose.

"trade shows have become a very minor part of how Apple reaches its customers."

I always felt the shows were major, like gathering on somewhat holy ground.
Sure there were occasional let downs, but damn.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2008, 06:37 PM

I think it has to do with the economic downturn. A lot of big name companies pulled out of the conference in order to save money. I think when the economy is (hopefully) back on its feet, we'll see the return of Macworld with possibly a new, permanent Keynote person. Jonathan Ive maybe?

Personally, I'd like to see John Cleese do the keynote. That would be awesome.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

EndlessMac
Senior User
Dec 16, 2008, 06:38 PM

I don't know if that is such a good idea to end MacWorld. Every time MacWorld comes around it generates excitement and interests as to what new products are coming out. Even though not everyone can go to these MacWorld shows there are plenty of people who read later about them through the internet from people who were there.

With the invention of the internet local events aren't exactly local anymore if they have gained worldwide attention. Also there are many ways to get live information without actually being at the show so I don't think MacWorld is as small of an event as Apple thinks it is.

As Apple have said there are other ways to introduce new products but MacWorld gave a good presentation which helps to sell a product and generate excitement. In a way it's like the Oscar awards because they could easily listed all the winners on the internet or through the news but rather they make a special event out of it which makes it feel more important that it really is. Apple can also just simply announce new products through their website, stores, or through advertising but I don't think it would be as exciting as making a special event just for it.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2008, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Apple thinks that MacWorld served a minor purpose.

"trade shows have become a very minor part of how Apple reaches its customers."

I always felt the shows were major, like gathering on somewhat holy ground.
Sure there were occasional let downs, but damn.
Yeah, I don't get that. Every computer company and media outlet collectively holds their breath and watches Macworld.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

EndlessMac
Senior User
Dec 16, 2008, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
I always felt the shows were major
Yes, I felt the same way which is why I'm surprised to hear this news. I guess we will all see what Apple does from here on out.

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I think it has to do with the economic downturn. A lot of big name companies pulled out of the conference in order to save money. I think when the economy is (hopefully) back on its feet, we'll see the return of Macworld
You might be right and hopefully you are but we will see...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2008, 06:50 PM

It's an effect of Apple's enormous growth over the past few years. The Mac faithful really pay attention and look forward to MacWorld — so much so that they always wind up being let down when Apple doesn't release the iGirlfriend or whatever. But now there's the other 50% of Mac users who just happened to buy a MacBook in the past couple of years and couldn't tell MacWorld from a random press conference, and iPhone users who have no vested interest in MacWorld whatsoever. So MacWorld is no longer the platform it used to be, and (as olePigeon said) with the slowing economy, Apple is looking to save money like everybody else
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2008, 06:53 PM

Yeah, the same thing happened to E3. It's a pale shadow of it's former self.

I think that in this modern age of instant communication, the idea of spending a bunch of money putting together a big show is just an outdated one.

I know the vendors don't like it, most of the media doesn't like it, and most consumers don't really care that much either.

Plus, I don't think Apple likes people putting off purchases for MacWorld. I think they might be better served by springing surprises here and there rather then everyone always waiting 3 months to see what Macworld brings, and then bitching endlessly when what Apple gives us fails to match up with the rumors.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2008, 06:55 PM

Macworld has gotten smaller and smaller each year as more and more companies pull out so I'm not surprised. I expect Macworld to pretty much fold up in 2 to 3 years. Add to that the economy effect, and I can see lots more companies 'cutting costs'. They will probably just stick to the special announcement conferences at the campus.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2008, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Wow...I wonder what really led up to this decision.
Originally Posted by fire3500 View Post
Health reasons?
I'd be a little surprised if that were the reason he's not delivering it this year, but it does make sense, with his deteriorating appearance, that they couldn't continue doing this for the foreseeable future. And the keynotes just wouldn't be the same if they continued them without him (At least until they find a suitable charismatic replacement).

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2008, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
I'd be a little surprised if that were the reason he's not delivering it this year, but it does make sense, with his deteriorating appearance, that they couldn't continue doing this for the foreseeable future. And the keynotes just wouldn't be the same if they continued them without him (At least until they find a suitable charismatic replacement).
I think that's part of it, which is concerning (though denials have been made).
That, and the economy.

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2008, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Yeah, I don't get that. Every computer company and media outlet collectively holds their breath and watches Macworld.
Everything revolved around it.

ahh, the memories...

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2008, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Macworld has gotten smaller and smaller each year as more and more companies pull out so I'm not surprised. I expect Macworld to pretty much fold up in 2 to 3 years.
That's not true, last year had the largest amount of vendors I've seen since 2001. I believe 2003 or 2004 was the smallest. All the vendor booths were located in the North Hall with plenty of room to spare. Of course this was before the iPod boom. Up until this year, MacWorld had been growing at a steady rate.

This news makes me sad. I've always looked forward to attending MacWorld. I can't believe the last keynote I'm attending will be from Phil. It won't be the same without Steve.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Peabo
Senior User
Dec 16, 2008, 07:43 PM

Steve is still going to keynote at WWDC and 'Special Events' right?
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2008, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
That's not true, last year had the largest amount of vendors I've seen since 2001. I believe 2003 or 2004 was the smallest. All the vendor booths were located in the North Hall with plenty of room to spare. Of course this was before the iPod boom. Up until this year, MacWorld had been growing at a steady rate.

This news makes me sad. I've always looked forward to attending MacWorld. I can't believe the last keynote I'm attending will be from Phil. It won't be the same without Steve.
I've been to the last 12. I remember when it took up Moscone North, South and there were a few vendors in the lobby. Now it just covers half of Moscone North.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2008, 08:06 PM

Pretty great take on the announcement: http://applecanceledchristmas.com/
Chuck
___

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2008, 08:15 PM

I think I'd be pissed if I had bought tickets (and plane tickets, car rental, etc.) to Macworld already and just now found out Steve wasn't doing a keynote.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2008, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
I've been to the last 12. I remember when it took up Moscone North, South and there were a few vendors in the lobby. Now it just covers half of Moscone North.
Nope. Last year had both the North hall and the first floor of the West hall for vendors. The third floor is were the Keynote was held.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/12/...erview.part.1/

"Those going to the upcoming Macworld Expo in San Francisco can expect a much larger show this year, with nearly 50,000 registered attendees, and over 450 vendors are making a presence at the show. Paul Kent, Vice President of the Macworld Expo, told MacNN today that the 2008 event will dwarf previous years, with an estimated 25-percent increase in floor traffic, and an18-percent increase in vendor attendance. As of today, MacWorld Expo will feature 453 vendors, 48 of which are new and taking up residence in the year-old Developer's Pavilion."

Attendance has been increasing every year since 2005.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macworld_Conference_&_Expo

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2008, 08:56 PM

Given the fact that apple had pulled back or completely out of the MW that was in NY (then moved to Boston), I'm not surprised. Given the costs associated, the state of the industry and the economy it was only a matter of time before apple pulled out. MacWorld is a throwback to a bygone era of computer shows, though I will sourly miss it, I'm not at all surprised.
~Mike

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2008, 09:07 PM

For example, back in the 'clone days', they had both North and South completely full with vendors. It easily took more than a day to view the stuff. They used to have gaming tournaments, workshops on the floor, big stage shows, etc. Now you can view the entire show floor EASILY in a few hours. The show floor itself has gotten smaller each year as major vendors have left.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2008, 09:33 PM

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2008, 09:38 PM

I hear the rationale behind it, but I think its a mistake that Apple is pulling out. Nothing can replace an in-person experience and Macworld was always such a media circus. It will be harder for Apple to recreate that without Macworld. Apple will regret killing Macworld someday.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2008, 10:11 PM

I see the rationales, but that's too bad. Apple got a ton of positive free press out of the keynotes, and it really was a "holy" gathering for Apple fanatics. Now I'm really glad I got to go and experience a keynote IRL a few years ago.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2008, 10:56 PM

Heh. I was just thinking yesterday that this was the first Macworld in years I didn't really care about.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 16, 2008, 11:27 PM

There are a few dynamics here.

(A) Steve Jobs' health. Every darn time he gets up in front of a Keynote, someone remarks on his appearance and the stock fluctuates. Problem solved.

(B) It's a real pain having to hit hardware releases for Back to School, Holiday Sales, and Macworld. Instead, we'll continue to get special events when products are ready. It hurts if you have to delay a product until the show, and it hurts if you're racing to ready it for the show.

Jobs has been scaling back the way Apple reaches people with keynotes for ages. Remember, before the Apple Retail Stores, you could watch a keynote live via streaming quicktime video. Then you could watch them in the Apple Retail Store theater. Then they removed the theaters and you could watch them after the fact. Macworld is a cool event, and the Apple ][, Macintosh 128k, and NeXT all have history of expos at Moscone. At the same time, special events probably work just as well.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2008, 11:30 PM

Those 'special' events are getting pretty lame these days. The last couple of music/iPod events have gotten a collective "meh" from the press.

iM@k
Senior User
Dec 17, 2008, 12:23 AM

I'm glad I went to the '07 keynote. It was on my list of "things to do before I die" so I'd be really bummed if I hadn't gone.
What, me worry?

Sealobo
Dec 17, 2008, 01:28 AM

This is just sad.

i used to stay awake on this side of the planet in the middle of the night waiting for the live webcast...

Northeastern292
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2008, 10:05 AM

As much as I have utmost respect for Steve Jobs, it would be nice to see him be the second Apple exec to retire from the company instead of being forced out.

What Apple could do is introduce a netbook. That's about the only thing that would put a spark back in the life of the brand. The iPods started getting hum-ho, then the iPhone is introduced, and all of a sudden, Apple is interesting again. Apple is always interesting.

Or maybe it's my pet peeve of disliking some of Steve Jobs' management moves. Apple would do very well in the low-cost sector. We all fought for a low-priced iPod, and that happened.

Sure, it is a very tragic day in that Steve Jobs will stop doing Macworld keynotes. It will even be more tragic when MacOS X is no longer PowerPC compatible. In fact, with Steve Jobs not going to the keynote, I may be sending Apple a letter regarding PowerPC and Snow Leopard.

It's even more upsetting since this is the Macintosh's 25th birthday, and Steve Jobs isn't going to be present at MacWorld.
The Mac Collection:

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth at 450MHz, Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet at 400MHz, three Power Mac FW800's at 1.0GHz, MacBook Pro at 2.0GHz, my late father's G3 iMac at 350MHz, an iMac at 500MHz, a PowerBook G4 (12-inch VGA) and a PowerBook 170

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2008, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Plus, I don't think Apple likes people putting off purchases for MacWorld.
I don't wonder if that's true.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2008, 11:35 AM

Half of me believes it's Steve Jobs' health.

Half of me believes that it's Apple PR's reasons.

Here's a nicely thought-out blog post on why it's not Steve's health.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2008, 11:38 AM

I still think it's partly a changing of the guard.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2008, 08:34 PM

The poor control of this news is surprising... had BusinessWeek not published the headline "Steve Jobs Will Be at Macworld" how long was Apple going to wait to announce SJobs wasn't going to be there? Even if they were planning on announcing it the same day, that'd only be 3 weeks in advance; well after most people booked and bought their tickets.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2008, 02:32 PM

Here's the best take on this I've seen to date:
http://www.bynkii.com/archives/2008/..._trust_th.html
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2008, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Oneota View Post
Here's the best take on this I've seen to date:
http://www.bynkii.com/archives/2008/..._trust_th.html
To be honest, that Bynkii guy seems like kind of an ostrich. He seems to think presentations on forensics are the reason people go to MacWorld and it was lack of those rather than Apple pulling out that killed MWNY. I don't know, maybe he does see something I don't, but his posts on the topic strike me very much as a sort of, "I don't get why everybody is complaining about the power outage. I never used electricity much anyway."
Chuck
___

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2008, 12:18 AM

It's sad - I remember going to "AppleFest" in Boston back in 1990 or so. Later on I got to go to several MacWorlds for work, even got to be in the first section of a Stevenote!

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2008, 01:51 AM

The real story is the speculation about what is happening to Jobs. It isn't very surprising to me that Apple has pulled out of Macworld--Apple has outgrown the product release constraints imposed by trade fairs.

The weird thing, in my opinion, is not that they have pulled out of MacWorld, but that Jobs is not showing up to deliver the farewell keynote. There isn't any intuitive explanations for this, just the usual backwards-sounding logic of Apple's press releases ("Jobs is too important to speak at an expo that is not longer significant") and the baseless theories of analysts. I'm curious to know what is really going on.
( Last edited by Kerrigan; Dec 21, 2008 at 02:03 AM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2008, 02:04 AM

I think the explanation in the press releases is probably the truth — they've decided MacWorld just isn't that important to them, and thus they aren't going to bother sending Steve Jobs. It's a way of downplaying its importance. The explanation is only illogical if you assume that they secretly have a soft spot for the expo.
Chuck
___

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2008, 08:54 AM

This is an interesting article regarding Apple, Steve Jobs and MacWorld. eweek

I think it comes pretty close to the truth on a number of points, for instance. The work, energy and focus required for pulling off a good keynote can drain a person and perhaps Steve with age or illness its a little too much for him and he needs to focus on other priorities.

Another point that the author makes is that Apple/Jobs is preparing for his departure, in other words too long Apple and Jobs was one single entity in many people's minds. He will be stepping down at some point. Preparing that way will make the transition (internally/externally) easier if he stops being the main voice of apple.
~Mike

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2008, 02:47 PM

Maflynn, I think that is certainly a possible explanation, and I've read other analysts who have said the same thing.

What worries me is that, if this is true, there is nothing that can replace Jobs' visionary leadership. Despite the fact that he has a top-notch management team beneath him, it is owing to Jobs' idiosyncratic and risk-taking style that the company took on NeXT, created OSX, created the iMac, saw the potential of the iPod and iPhone, etc. You can put together the best A-team of execs and it is doubtful that they will be able to pull off the types of visionary strategies that Jobs has managed to implement.

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2008, 03:19 PM

Well, even if Jobs steps down as CEO doesn't mean he will step completely away from Apple.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2008, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
What worries me is that, if this is true, there is nothing that can replace Jobs' visionary leadership.
True, but Apple does have other visionary people in charge, like Ives, and Jobs departure was never if but when. We all know the day is coming when he will retire. You're correct that it was his vision that saved Apple when he came back and has not only brought the company back into relevance but a market leader. His creativity will almost certainly be missed when that day arrives that he'll no longer be there.
~Mike

freudling
Banned
Dec 21, 2008, 04:27 PM

I saw some pics of Jobs in mid October of this year, and he looks really skinny. When we listen to him speak now, he also sounds very weak... I think that for certain his health is down. I am not sure how much longer someone in his state of health can continue running a company. With that said, we all must think of the day he steps down, and it is very hard to do.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2008, 12:38 AM

I've had three relatives die from cancer over the years, and two others who had it but are currently cancer free. Cancer often comes back, even if you get a clean bill of health. Your best way of surviving it, from what I gather, is getting heavy chemo treatment the moment it is detected--something that Jobs did not do.

But whatever the case is with his health, it's a legitimate concern because cancer really does have a nasty habit of recurring. I hope he's OK.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2008, 01:01 AM

As Mac aficionados, many of us can't imagine such a time would come. Apple, however, sees that it's base is still growing, and it's mostly from people who are switching. Macworld, even though it's always gotten outsized coverage, has really been all about preaching to the choir, and Apple surely realizes it has better ways to spend its dollars and resources. The average consumer who's buying a Mac today, and is switching, is doing so because they've heard good things about Macs from their friends and neighbors and family, who may often be switchers themselves. I hear it everyday, frequently. Today the internet is just as viable a place to find out about the newest Mac products, more quickly than print media, which used to be popular as well. Remember computer magazines; their subscriptions are dwindling because of their lack of immediacy. I'd bet that if you asked the average Mac user today (other than one who's been using one for years), they'd have no idea of what Macworld is. It's time is over.

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2008, 10:50 AM

This may sum it up:

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 25, 2008, 04:33 AM

The number of MacWorld vendors may have increased, but 75% of them either sold or made cases for the iPod, and now the iPhone.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2008, 12:52 AM

Apple doesn't need Macworld. Macworld certainly doesn't equal Apple. Apple can present their new products on their own terms, in their own space, on their own dime, on their own time schedule.

Whether or not Macworld can survive without Apple, that's another story.

And whether or not Apple continues to be relevant should Jobs retire or stop presenting products (Phil Schiller presentations? egad)...that's another story too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules