Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.5: Can't map a Windows network share anymore, over SMB or NFS

10.5: Can't map a Windows network share anymore, over SMB or NFS
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2013, 03:26 PM

This is another one of those issues I've run into with OS X that is making me go bonkers.

Setup: first gen iMac G5 running 10.5 with all system updates, on a Windows Active Directory domain hosted by a Windows Server 2008 R2 box.

I log into OS X on my iMac exclusively with my domain account. Logs in automatically without any issues.

I cannot, for the life of me, map to the network share that is hosted on the same machine as the domain controller. I turned on NFS just to give OS X another route for mapping to the drive, with no luck. I went into Keychain Access and deleted every keychain related to previously-saved mappings of the share and other saved credentials for this domain.

I can still map to the share just fine on my other machines, so I do not believe it's an account issue. It appears to be isolated to this one machine.

I'm at a loss as to what to try next. Help!
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2013, 01:24 PM

Update:

Tried from the command line:

Code:
mount -t smbfs //holodrum/chococat /Volumes/Chococat/
Terminal prompts for my password. Upon entering it, I get an error:

Code:
mount_smbfs: mount error: /Volumes/Chococat: Broken pipe
Some exhaustive Googling finally turned up a workaround that was supposedly fixed in 10.5.2. I am running 10.5.8.

The workaround involves using a specific syntax in the Connect to Server dialog:

Code:
smb://DOMAIN;username@hostname
While I realize that OS X isn't going to have the kind of integration with Active Directory that LDAP does, I don't understand why I need to re-enter my domain credentials to map to the server's share. Not only that, but if it doesn't like the OS X login credentials, why doesn't it prompt for a login instead of just telling me it can't connect?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2013, 09:10 PM

Its probably just an issue with the Samba port. I've had it work the other way where an SMB share on a Mac becomes unaccessible to a Windows client unless you reboot the Windows box or do a load of command line fiddling to renew the login credentials it uses to connect.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2013, 09:51 PM

Well, the Windows box has rebooted plenty of times, due to several power outages here in the past month.

The other weird thing is that I don't have to re-enter my credentials on my MacBook running 10.6.8.

Are there any patches or third-party SMB client apps for OS X?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2013, 09:11 AM

Seems like this problem is fairly common with Leopard in AD environments.

This might suggest a more convenient workaround:

Loginhook can't mount_smbfs, Broken Pipe - The macosxhints Forums
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules